cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog Centurion Headset mic is shocking

Guyvergamingtv
Level 7
ok so got my headset last week and only really had time to try it now. was on Teamspeak and my friends where saying it sounded aweful. i checked the settings and had a listen my self and i have to say the mic on this headset is terrible for the price of the headset. i only use it for things like skype and Teamspeak and i make my videos using a blue yeti. but the quality of the mic sound is unacceptable in todays market place.

what do you guys think?
234 REPLIES 234

drino
Level 7
If you use it only for skype or teamspeak, you defnitively choose the wrong headset, I have another brand true 7.1 headset and the mic is also ****t, this headset is for gaming, and particularly usefull on FPS, all the focus is on the speaker in this sort of headphone, mic is secondary.

Btw how is the headset in terms of audio quality and surround (if you used it on games) ?

drino wrote:
If you use it only for skype or teamspeak, you defnitively choose the wrong headset, I have another brand true 7.1 headset and the mic is also ****t, this headset is for gaming, and particularly usefull on FPS, all the focus is on the speaker in this sort of headphone, mic is secondary.

Btw how is the headset in terms of audio quality and surround (if you used it on games) ?

I use it for gaming as i have been a gamer for many, many years. as said i have a yeti for recording my review videos and such but for gaming i use like to use the headset mic for coms as it wont pick up the fans and the keyboard like the yeti will. but for the price of the headset i would expect a far better quality mic. i have always used 7.1 sound headsets and the mic's on other brands have been far better. this is my first Asus ROG headset.
the sound from the headset itself is great, some of the best yet and would recommend them for that alone but the mic is a serious let down.

just sounds bad and crackles, been playing with settings for ages but cant get it right. better then it was but still below acceptable slandered for a headset of this price and what it describes the mic sound as on the site.

tried playing about but so far hasn't improved the quality yet.

oh and for the person asking i got my headset from Overclockers in the UK

I think that there have to be an technical issue with the microphone. All Test-Reports I have read, said that the sound is incredible and the microphone is very good.
Either they got other samples with better mic (I dont think so...) or many of the Centurion Headsets have an issue.

@Bahz Do you or your team have any other idea what could be the reason of the bad microphone quality. If you have an good sample, maybe you could upload a voice sample so we can see if we have too high claims. Otherwise i will complain at my trader and request a new one.
My Setup:
- i7-4790K
- ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer
- NVIDIA GTX 1080 TI - EKWB Water Block
- HyperX Fury 16 GB RAM
- Complete Custom WaterCooling
- Corsair AX860i
- Corsair RGB Polaris
- Samsung Evo 850 250 GB
- Seagate Barracuda 2TB
- be quiet Dark Base Pro 900
- Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q
- Asus ROG Centurion
- Asus ROG Claymore
- Asus ROG Spatha

Guyvergamingtv wrote:
I use it for gaming as i have been a gamer for many, many years. as said i have a yeti for recording my review videos and such but for gaming i use like to use the headset mic for coms as it wont pick up the fans and the keyboard like the yeti will. but for the price of the headset i would expect a far better quality mic. i have always used 7.1 sound headsets and the mic's on other brands have been far better. this is my first Asus ROG headset.
the sound from the headset itself is great, some of the best yet and would recommend them for that alone but the mic is a serious let down.

just sounds bad and crackles, been playing with settings for ages but cant get it right. better then it was but still below acceptable slandered for a headset of this price and what it describes the mic sound as on the site.

tried playing about but so far hasn't improved the quality yet.

oh and for the person asking i got my headset from Overclockers in the UK

I use a Asus u7 soundcard make sure you set the mic gain in the software at around 89%. If I don't , I get the same problem your describing *when communicating with team mates on Teamspeak

even if the gain is adjusted is still sounds terrible. the crackling aside the actual sound of my voice is terrible. i may request another headset and see if it just a bad first batch. have to see. i will play with it more over the weekend.

Yea I still have the problem. My friends say that the microphone quality is like a 2€ Headset!
My Setup:
- i7-4790K
- HyperX Fury 16 GB RAM
- Corsair AX860i
- Corsair RGB Polaris
- Samsung Evo 850 250 GB
- Seagate Barracuda 2TB
- Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q
- Asus ROG Centurion
- Asus ROG Claymore
- Asus ROG Spatha

I found a Video on Youtube:

https://youtu.be/wdIoknlhyHA?t=4m

Exactly like this is my microphone too....
@Bahz is this the wanted sound quality from Asus? It sounds soo bad. And if it isn´t a hardware/software problem,
I will send back my Headset and take another one. This is no acceptable Microphone quality for such an expensive Headset!!!
My Setup:
- i7-4790K
- HyperX Fury 16 GB RAM
- Corsair AX860i
- Corsair RGB Polaris
- Samsung Evo 850 250 GB
- Seagate Barracuda 2TB
- Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q
- Asus ROG Centurion
- Asus ROG Claymore
- Asus ROG Spatha

Hatzi999 wrote:
I found a Video on Youtube:

https://youtu.be/wdIoknlhyHA?t=4m

Exactly like this is my microphone too....
@Bahz is this the wanted sound quality from Asus? It sounds soo bad. And if it isn´t a hardware/software problem,
I will send back my Headset and take another one. This is no acceptable Microphone quality for such an expensive Headset!!!

Yup mine is like that, but tbh that is me doing the review 😛 sorry about the video quality, old webcam.

Ive got the same issue, all my friends think im inside a bottle and talking.
Only reason im not returning it is because i got it on sale for 110 euros and the sound quality is amazing of the headphones themselves.

Its just a shame that the mic i so low quality! 😞