cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme Persistent Wake from Sleep Problems

nonverbal
Level 7
Since I first owned this board (2014) I have had consistent wake from sleep problems with all OSs including Windows 8/10 and various LInux distros and different hardware configurations (e.g., Titan X SLI, 32GB of RAM, different SSDs). Specifically, 1 out 5 times after the computer has gone to sleep it will not wake-up and resume without requiring a hard reboot (i.e., holding down the power button). This happen regardless if I am running stock settings or overclocked and despite tweaking myriad voltages such as System Agent and memory.

Every time the system refuses to return from sleep the Qcode E1 is displayed and the PCIEX16_4 LED is blinking. Generally the system appears to return partially (there is system activity) but the display and USB connections are inactive and I have to hard restart and am greeted by the failed overclock BIOS screen, even if the settings are default and not overclocked. Only one PCIE slot 1 is populated with a Titan X.

A few BIOS versions ago I had persistent problems with some USB ports not working, but that seems to have resolved. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or if this may just be an RMA issue either. Besides this issue with my system, it is stable and boots and behaves under load completely fine (surviving stress tests).

Thank you for any advice you can provide.
42 REPLIES 42

badmojout
Level 7
I struggled with the same issue and finally resolved it by changing a single BIOS setting: Rampage Tweak. Change the setting to Mode 1. Not sure if you are running XMP/overclock which may require additional tweaks to CPU Input voltage, System Agent Voltage, etc. But I'd recommend going to stock on everything with the exception of turning on the XMP profile and then changing Rampage Tweak from Auto to Mode 1. If the wake from sleep issue is resolved, then you can go back to restoring your overclock settings.

Took me over 2 years to figure that one out...

badmojout wrote:
I struggled with the same issue and finally resolved it by changing a single BIOS setting: Rampage Tweak. Change the setting to Mode 1. Not sure if you are running XMP/overclock which may require additional tweaks to CPU Input voltage, System Agent Voltage, etc. But I'd recommend going to stock on everything with the exception of turning on the XMP profile and then changing Rampage Tweak from Auto to Mode 1. If the wake from sleep issue is resolved, then you can go back to restoring your overclock settings.

Took me over 2 years to figure that one out...

Thanks badmojout. Never thought to adjust that setting. I made the change to Rampage Tweak and will report back. I appreciate your input.

nonverbal wrote:
Thanks badmojout. Never thought to adjust that setting. I made the change to Rampage Tweak and will report back. I appreciate your input.

Just checking back in with an update. Since making this change I have yet to experience the problem of having the system not wake from sleep. This is with and without my overclocked settings. Thanks again for the tip!

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
This is contradictory as you stated in the original post it happens regardless of overclocked or stock settings. If changing tweak modes worked for you this implies the system was unstable, so in fact overclocked. Keep in mind that if XMP is enabled this is regarded as overclocking.

Almost all cases of not waking from sleep are instability related.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

mwe3302
Level 9
mine does this also but I don't see this option under my bios any where, I don't have a rampage tweak, mine is called Extreme Tweaker for the rampage V extreme/U3.1 board
I7 5930k 6 core ,corsair Hydro series H110i GTX AIO Hydro CPU cooler, Corsair AX860i PSU, ASUS rampage V extreme/U3.1, Corsair
platinum dominator 32gb DDR 4 3200, Nvidia geforce GTX 1080 x2 in SLI, Corsair obsidian 750D

GoatHumper
Level 7
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm having the same issue and it's quite infuriating. I have the same "problem" as mwe3302 - I can't find a "Rampage Tweak" option anywhere in the BIOS - let alone an option that allows me to go from "Auto" to "Mode 1".

So.... thoughts? Hopefully someone from ASUS can chime in... Or perhaps some screenshots from nonverbal?

Thanks!

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
It's top of RAM tab if I remember correctly...i.e. when you go into timings page...it's not in extreme tweaker tab

As Silent Scone@ASUS said...most sleep resume problems are marginal stability problems most often from RAM settings. Always best to give a thorough look there first. Bear in mind many RAM testing softwares haven't caught up with the times and don't show instability even where it exists on these multi channel platforms.

HCI Memtest used correctly or Karhu RAMTest are up to the task...particularly the latter

GoatHumper
Level 7
Thanks, Arne!! But that's the thing - I'm not overclocking *AT ALL* - at least knowingly. DRAM is at its stock speed (2133MHz), CPU is at its stock speeds (3700MHz, 5930K), etc...

So... yeah... I'll have a look at the DRAM tab and see what I find. Thanks!

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
OK, understood and that is a bit rarer for stock to fail. But can I ask if you are running a single quad channel kit? i.e. no mixed kits even of same type

Is it a kit on the QVL? that sort of thing.....