Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Saknussemm View Post
    It's top of RAM tab if I remember correctly...i.e. when you go into timings page...it's not in extreme tweaker tab
    Thanks!!! I found it, and set it to "Mode 1" - we'll see what effect it has.

OK, understood and that is a bit rarer for stock to fail. But can I ask if you are running a single quad channel kit? i.e. no mixed kits even of same type

Is it a kit on the QVL? that sort of thing.....
    The kit is a QVL'd kit (G.Skill F4-2133C15Q2-64GRB, QVL'd as per G.Skill, see https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2133c15q2-64grb), 64GB (8 DIMM @ 8GB each).

So yeah - I was annoyed by this issue (as well as the "sudden reboot" issue that was fixed in the newer BIOS versions). I also found another thread where some ASUS folks specifically quote Intel tech folks in that PLL Overvolt could cause problems with S3 suspend/resume and was a known issue, so I'll wait and see if this Rampage Tweak fix is effective. If it isn't, then PLL Overvolt is my next setting to mess with (turning it *off* - I've already located it in the BIOS).

Cheers! And thanks for the rapid responses!

ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

Heh...no worries...I'm by the PC at the moment..

Are you trying to run at 1.2v or have you set 1.35? and what vccsa is the board setting at default.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Heh...no worries...I'm by the PC at the moment..

Are you trying to run at 1.2v or have you set 1.35? and what vccsa is the board setting at default.
    I'm letting the MB do as much automatically as possible - probably 1.35V since I think that's what the DRAM kit's XMP profile specifies. I'll keep you posted as I'm sure others will be interested in these results as well.

Thanks again!

ROG Enthusiast Array

After today's use, with multiple suspend-resume cycles which usually resulted in one or two instances of the dreaded glitch, my confidence grows by the hour that this is indeed the cure to the problem.

I'd dearly like to know what "Rampage Tweak" is supposed to do, and why keeping it at auto causes the issue, but I fear ASUS will never let slip the information

I'll report back after a few days, either confirming or refuting this as the solution.

Cheers!

Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?

I think tweak modes just relax sub timings...

ROG Enthusiast Array

From the manual...

Rampage Tweak [Auto]

This item allows you to specify the Rampage Tweak operation mode to find to the DRAM. Mode 1 helps you with the DRAM performance and Mode 2 helps you in overclocking and system performance.

[Auto] Automatically selects the mode.
    [Mode 1] Memory compatibility.
    [Mode 2] Overclocking and performance.
    So...there you go

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

Majority of those characteristics are controlled by the memory sub sets as Arne alluded to above. Both can have a positive outcome on stability depending on the kit used and CPU sample.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Fair enough. But when one doesn't wish to have *any* oveclocking done, why would features such as this one try to do it automatically, in this case obviously leading to instability?

Shouldn't these features instead of "Mode 1" and "Mode 2" have labels such as "Compatibility" and "Performance/Overclock"?

I wracked my head for more than 2 years trying to figure it out - spent countless hours trying suspend/resume with each USB device individually disconnected/connected/etc, hardware combinations, configurations, etc... all because you guys (ASUS) decided it'd be fun to try to overclock **** even though every other related configuration says "NO OVERCLOCKING, PLEASE"!

And, as if that weren't enough, what this issue suggests is that the DRAM "Rampage Tweak" mode was being switched (detected?) upon resume from S3 suspend, instead of continuing to use the mode the machine POST-ed on... does that even make sense - AT ALL?!?!?!

So... your response not only comes up short, but it actually annoys me somewhat...
    Last edited by GoatHumper; 12-15-2018 at 08:13 PM.

Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?

I think this is more about Intel small print. I can't remember exactly but I think 2133MHz RAM is supported for 4x8 on Haswell E IMC...I'm not sure if 2133 is supported for 64GB... for that higher density it might be 1600 or 1866.

In any case, it's not really the board causing problems here it's the CPU IMC. It is obviously borderline stable running 64GB at 2133. I bet if you remove 4 dims it would have no problem running 32GB and resuming from sleep...for example

What has happened is that the mode1 has relaxed the sub-timings on the RAM allowing it to be more stable at whatever voltage it is running at. I don't think there is any switching of modes happening. It's just the system is now able to survive sleep because of easier timings.

Instead of relaxing timings with tweak mode 1 you could try bumping voltage a notch or two on the DRAM/VCCSA rails.

For example, if it's borderline stable at 1.35v VDIMM and 1.1v VCCSA (check BIOS) bump it to 1.36...1.37v and/ or 1.2v vccsa...that sort of thing

You could also try some tweaks to DIGI+ settings...upping DRAM current capability/ putting phases on optimised or extreme..
    Last edited by Arne Saknussemm; 12-15-2018 at 08:58 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Well, the kit I have is QVL'd by the manufacturer against the mainboard. There's no "fine print" regarding which CPUs support which memory configurations anywhere on the Mainboard's marketing materials, QVL lists, or manual.

So how would one know that "with X CPU, you can only use Y memory at Z speed"?

Thanks for the thorough explanation, but it does little to dispel the fact that the issue is either incompetence/negligence by ASUS, or at the very least by both ASUS and Intel jointly...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast