cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme /USB3.1 - USB ports?

rocafella1978
Level 8
hi all, just curious if anyone knows of USB ports acting up on this mainboard or being sensitive in any way?
- problem i have/ or things i notice, i need to unplug all peripheral devices (except mouse + keyboard) from the computer, otherwise it won't start, just gets stuck in the windows loading screen
*** peripheral devices -> any SINGLE ONE or MULTIPLE hardware connections to USB ports: Joystick, Gaming Controller, Steering Wheel, Driving Pedals, Flying Pedals, Button Box, Shifter and etc. any USB that i connect, by itself or multiple devices, to any ports on the mainboard directly (rear side) or front side, 1x port or many port, any port the PC does not want to start, just gets stuck in windows loading screen.

as soon as all USB's are disconnected all works perfectly and windows loads and boots up just fine.

any ideas?
22 REPLIES 22

FuryA
Level 8
It seems like unusual perhaps affected by static electricity, have you tested build a board without a chassis

rocafella1978
Level 8
hi FURYA@ASUS, not sure i know what you mean? possible explain?

rocafella1978 wrote:
hi FURYA@ASUS, not sure i know what you mean? possible explain?

HI , ro

means try to put you R5E without PC case

JuSiZ1
Level 10
Can be unstable overclock or ram.

Ha, this is mad, cause I'm having the same issue as well.

In fact, I noticed once or twice that A USB port wouldn't even start up correctly and required me to shutdown and start again, but definretly have noticed issues with booting with certain USB devices connection.

For the past week I kept noticing I was getting unmountable boot volume (Green Screen error). However, I changed the Windows Drive Foundation Service to automatic and I believe that has solved it, but it may be too earler to tell.

rocafella1978
Level 8
i still have the issues, less now, but no static problem/ electricity. tested every ram and etc. had the same some ports active then not active

sometimes have to disconnect all USB ports so the system boots, just shows windows logo screen but not loading, remains in that state. inturn it off and start again without any USB and system starts. have tried multiple variations but always have to disconnect all USB ports*

Chino
Level 15
You have tons of USB devices connected to your system. But if I had to take a wild guess, I would say your flying pedals is causing your problems to post. And quite possibly the steering wheel, joystick or gaming controller are part of the problem as well.

rocafella1978
Level 8
meaning X99 board is not able to deal with multiple USB connected devices? why bother put all those ports on the board in the first place?

the same symptoms are happening, when i connected 2x printers, 2x HDD's (with power) and 2x without power. same happens to my other RVE board. identical issues, 2x different BIOS versions.

rocafella1978 wrote:
meaning X99 board is not able to deal with multiple USB connected devices? why bother put all those ports on the board in the first place?

A lot of legacy USB devices don't function very well and cause POST issues on the X99 platform.