cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200MHZ RAM & 5930k Problems!

A1337
Level 7
Hi guys,

So I initially had a 5820k and 32GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum which were rated at 3200mhz, after a very long time of trying to overclock and enable XMP profile to work. I managed to get maximum 4.3ghz on cpu at 1.3v and 2666mhz on the ram with XMP on. Is this normal?

I've recently upgraded to the 5930k and I've found that I'm able to get 4.5ghz at 1.25 and max 2800mhz on the ram before it gives me boot issues and doesn't post. The ram is rated at 3200mhz using XMP, however I cannot post with this enabled and it gives me problems, so my question is will I be able to achieve 3200mhz at all and how exactly? Or is it a case of the actual processor and the memory controller within it being weak? Will the 5960x allow me to have 3200mhz as it's better? Shouldn't the RAM work at 3200mhz if its rated at that on the box?

Or is it a case of silicone lottery between the CPUs?

Also the bios i'm using is the latest 3501 and motherboard is rampage V extreme.

Hope you guys can help.

Thank you! 🙂
21 REPLIES 21

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
The large majority of CPU should be able to handle 3200Mhz no problem, however some user intervention may be required in order to achieve stability.

Please post up current settings, and what memory kit you are using.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
The large majority of CPU should be able to handle 3200Mhz no problem, however some user intervention may be required in order to achieve stability.

Please post up current settings, and what memory kit you are using.

Hi thanks for your quick reply, so the RAM is "Corsair CMD32GX4M4B3200C16 Dominator Platinum Series 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit - Black"

I've literally just enabled XMP and set the multiplier to x45 and ram to 2800mhz and voltage 1.25 for CPU, the rest are default settings under the XMP profile. It sets the cpu strap to 100 by default, I've tried messing around with x125 but I've had no luck with that. Hope you can help, thanks a lot.

A1337 wrote:
Hi thanks for your quick reply, so the RAM is "Corsair CMD32GX4M4B3200C16 Dominator Platinum Series 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit - Black"

I've literally just enabled XMP and set the multiplier to x45 and ram to 2800mhz and voltage 1.25 for CPU, the rest are default settings under the XMP profile. It sets the cpu strap to 100 by default, I've tried messing around with x125 but I've had no luck with that. Hope you can help, thanks a lot.

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/dominator-platinum-series-32gb-4-x-8gb-ddr4-dram-3200mhz-c16-memory-kit...

This kit does not specify X99 compatibility.

Try setting a VCCSA voltage of around 1.05v and work up to around 1.15v if required

Silent Scone wrote:
http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/dominator-platinum-series-32gb-4-x-8gb-ddr4-dram-3200mhz-c16-memory-kit...

This kit does not specify X99 compatibility.

Try setting a VCCSA voltage of around 1.05v and work up to around 1.15v if required

Oh I see! That's my bad then I picked the wrong RAM when building my PC, I don't know how I even managed to do that. Do you think if I contact corsair they can replace, because its unstable on XMP? Thanks I will try that too and let you know how I get on. Can't believe I got the wrong memory.

A1337 wrote:
Oh I see! That's my bad then I picked the wrong RAM when building my PC, I don't know how I even managed to do that. Do you think if I contact corsair they can replace, because its unstable on XMP? Thanks I will try that too and let you know how I get on. Can't believe I got the wrong memory.

It can make things difficult when not checking these things, but it's not always disastrous! Some of these kits can be dialed in quite nicely if one has the patience.

You would have more luck contacting the retailer (if this was Corsair, then yes) and asking if you can exchange the memory kit for one that is qualified for the platform and board you are using.

Silent Scone wrote:
It can make things difficult when not checking these things, but it's not always disastrous! Some of these kits can be dialed in quite nicely if one has the patience.

You would have more luck contacting the retailer (if this was Corsair, then yes) and asking if you can exchange the memory kit for one that is qualified for the platform and board you are using.

Hi, I didn't purchase from Corsair so I doubt they can help me. I might contact the retailer which was Scan and see what they can do. Also still no luck with the System Agent Voltage to get up to XMP 3200mhz. I'm not sure what else I can do, the thing just doesn't post with XMP on. Maybe Asus will release bios in the future to support it? Thanks!

A1337 wrote:
Hi, I didn't purchase from Corsair so I doubt they can help me. I might contact the retailer which was Scan and see what they can do. Also still no luck with the System Agent Voltage to get up to XMP 3200mhz. I'm not sure what else I can do, the thing just doesn't post with XMP on. Maybe Asus will release bios in the future to support it? Thanks!

There is nothing ASUS need update in this instance, or in any way related to the XMP profile. This is why memory kit QVL exists, to save these kind of headaches for users with lesser experience. As this kit is on neither the QVL from Corsair or the Rampage V, I would advise you to do the former and return the kit for one that is.

You can try entering the primary memory timings, frequency and voltages manually.

A1337 wrote:

Hello A1337 !
This kit is for the Intel 100 Series only ! I bought this kit (wrong order) with 5930K ,RVE & next the RVE10 boards and i had the same problems! I contact to ESHOP and I replace with this kit http://www.corsair.com/en-eu/dominator-platinum-series-32gb-4-x-8gb-ddr4-dram-3000mhz-c15-memory-kit...
and everything is OK now on 3000 (XMP on).
With youre kit I hadnt any problems on 2666 MHZ( XMP on).
George
Μobo:ROG STRIX Z790-F GAMING WIFI-CPU:Intel Core i9-14900K-Cooler:EKW-EK-KIT RGB 360-RAM:G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5-6400 CL32 64GB(4 x 16 GB)-GPU:ASUS GeForce® ASUS ROG STRIX GAMING RTX-3080Ti-#43; EKW-EK-KIT 480 RGB -PSU:Corsair HX1200i:HDD:Samsung M2 980 PRO with heatsink 2TB+Samsung 990 PRO 2 TB RAID-0 +Asus RAIDR Express 240GB- Case:Thermaltake View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Editionx

Koutport wrote:
Hello A1337 !
This kit is for the Intel 100 Series only ! I bought this kit (wrong order) with 5930K ,RVE & next the RVE10 boards and i had the same problems! I contact to ESHOP and I replace with this kit http://www.corsair.com/en-eu/dominator-platinum-series-32gb-4-x-8gb-ddr4-dram-3000mhz-c15-memory-kit...
and everything is OK now on 3000 (XMP on).
With youre kit I hadnt any problems on 2666 MHZ( XMP on).
George

Hi there, yeah I realised late, I think back then I only purchased as it was at a amazing discount and I guessed I'd atleast get it stable at default mhz. But now with changing the rampage tweak mode to 1 on the 3502 bios which is stable, works great without any issues. 🙂

I never thought to read the manual and change the tweak setting, as when I enabled XMP I thought that would be it, the timings etc would be set for me automatically. Seems like that wasn't the case now.

So yeah, I'm running 4.5ghz at 1.25v, and quad channel 3200mhz ram. I'm happy with that. Also for me the 3502 bios is extremely stable and I'm happy with it. Shame it took so long to rectifty the random restart and stability problems.