Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array hellokitty's Avatar

yeh i just clipped this from there website. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 111.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	78283
    https://www.lacie.com/support/mobile...derbolt/#specs
    it allways comes down to the drive, it will never get faster, The best you cand do is try the PrimoCache on that drive. or open it up and put a ssd in it.

ROG Member Array

lol. Wow! So the TB 2 and USB 3.0 connection are basically the same? Those speeds are terrible. I see so many people working off these things...So what is the point of the 40gbs connection when these drives are running no where near these speeds? So even if the drive had a TB 3 connection it would be running the same as TB 2 and USB 3.0?

Is there any way I can test my TB 3 connection is working that speed without buying a drive?

check the forums here, https://egpu.io/ "for testing" yeh editing on 1 drive with those speeds must suck. you can buy this and put it in Raid 0 and im shure it will be fast enough. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Akitio-Thun...qt4:rk:27:pf:0

or this

https://www.akitio.com/portable-stor...der3-quad-mini

the smaller one will be more expensive, larger one you can use the regular size drives i showed earlier. "i would go that route"

also speed only matters on the video file size and type. my system can read and write 4K and higher uncompressed and very high frame rate eg RED. You dont need that for most consumer camera footage. find out what your goals are and spend there, goodluck

i think i listed the same drive, here is the larger version. https://www.ebay.com/itm/AKiTiO-Thun...LaT:rk:26:pf:0

ROG Junior Member Array

Curious on new card....

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    the firmware is lower on the gigabyte card, because gigabyte hasn't updated it since it came out. april 2017. awesome support from gigabyte. i have allways tried newer software, and it works most of the time, i havent tried the latest version, i goto intel website and look for newer versions. i have a Kona 4 in a sonnet SE 1 and it just works, The asus card works it is just sitting here, having 2 ports on the gigabyte card is nice. was the drive mac formated? does it show up under disk management? I will put my asus card in my other system and see what is going on, i have a external thunderbolt 2 drive enclosure, i can mess around with. make shure driver signature is off maybe? that might be stopping the update, yeh i had trouble updateing the gigabyte card along time ago. they work great when you get it setup, just there is very next to nothing for help. if your card was bad, the card wouldnt even show up, that happened with my first asus card, been fine since it was replaced. well let me know.
    I am curious the "replaced" card you have has the FW NVM 26?

I have lived this "scenario" with the EX3 card and my ASUS X99-E WSUSB31 board.

Long and short. My original EX3 card would exhibit the behavior working for a couple days, then I would startup and no connection with the TB devices. I would just the the rituals that you all have learned and done. Leaving power cord and PSU off, etc......

I purchased a new card from Amazon. My original card had NVM 18.05. The new card has NVM 26. All things equal, I installed the new card and it just works.

Heck it worked with the only the drivers installed and no Thunderbolt software. I simple installed the TB software and it worked straight away.

This is what the about screen showed for my two devices.

SImilar to another forum members (bgen5pax and Midnight on Mars), I agree, 1 day does not mean it is working.... if i works for 10 days straight without having to pull the power supply and being able to shut it off for more than 24 hrs and have the card still recognized then maybe it is "fixed". The concern I have is what is "breaking it", all things being equal with the bios there is something with Windows/Intel Drivers that are changing?

the Gigabyte Alpine Ridge V2.0 worked for a few weeks then I booted on day and Windows said my ports weren't working and it required updated FW for the card.

I have spent the past 3 weeks working with ASUS, the gave me BIOS settings for TB and CSM. They stated I needed to connect my display port out from the EX3 card to my Graphics card, so I did that... none of these things worked until I installed the new card.

Now what I don't understand is how to get my original cards NVM FW updated to 26. I sent ASUS this information and have yet to get a reply.

If it was easy it would on their website so as another forum member implied maybe it requires the card be sent back to Asus to get the FW updated.

This is with the new card and NVM 26, (you can see the NVM 18.05, which is residual from the old EX3 card being installed).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Card Firmware.PNG 
Views:	0 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	79870

This is the original card NVM

Name:	OLD CARD.PNG 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	79871
    Last edited by yajnssnj; 04-07-2019 at 05:44 PM.

gigabyte version

This is the info with my gigabyte card, still running no problems. it is the rev 1.0 card. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thunderbolt version Gigabyte.png 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	79872

i would just buy this, it gives you 2 ports and no headache. The Alpine ridge version, you need special bios/board for the newer Titan Ridge. https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GC-T...-fkmrnull&th=1

ROG Junior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    i would just buy this, it gives you 2 ports and no headache. The Alpine ridge version, you need special bios/board for the newer Titan Ridge. https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GC-T...-fkmrnull&th=1
    I have one of these.. the problem was in the past month it stopped working, and I got the following error. At the moment I got this error with Alphine Ridge v2.0 card, the EX3 card wasn't work... However somehow I got it to work until then a couple days later, the system would establish a TB connection with my devices... that is when I purchased a new EX3 card with Firmware NVM 26 and it feels more solid... again a week or two should tell the real story.

Why Windows is telling me I need new FW for the AR card, it isn't clear to me.

Name:	Firmware.PNG 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	79882
    Last edited by yajnssnj; 04-07-2019 at 08:35 PM.

if you got a spare drive, or if it dont matter much re-install windows. and see if you get the same errors. Thats what i do when i get strange problems that i cant figure out, usally works.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast