cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ThunderboltEX 3 firmware update ?

linxeye
Level 8
Guys,

I have a ThunderboltEX 3 card running on my RVE. Since Intel latest drivers, posted in december and needed for W10 AU full compliance, I get at each W10 boot a popup to update my firmware that directs me here : https://thunderbolttechnology.net/updates.

Thing is Asus hasn't posted a single FW update for the ThunderboltEX 3. It's running a very old firmware that doesn't support any modern TB devices. Level is NVM 8.xx with no support for external GFX or Network (to mention a few).

Can anyone at Asus update us on the status of the TB3EX board ? Is it still supported ? Will there be a firmware update ? When ?

Thanks.
125 REPLIES 125

hellokitty
Level 11
I own the same setup, i need a update also, they are so slow to update there Bios/Drivers.

Yeh now my card is dooing the same ****, wont work, it still shows in the bios, sometimes wont show in windows. i email asus, and i get the usual, make sure you have these drivers in stalled and these settings in your bios. I setup the card months ago and it was working, i re installed windows, did not fix it, i pulled cards and my m.2, did not fix it. My thunderbolt EX2 Dual still works, i had to put that back in. I think these cards fail quick, i need a rma.

My card also stops working after a while. Since I use my home PC every weekend and remains unpowered during weekdays, TBEX3 vanishes from BIOS completely. It's not detected in the NB Agent as a x4 adapter at all. All I have to do to remedy this is to take these steps:

i. Reset to BIOS defaults with the button at the back,
ii. Enter my settings manually or by loading from stored profile,
iii. TURN OFF Thunderbolt (in Advanced Menu),
iv. Save and boot in Windows (remember, no TB at this stage, it's off in the BIOS),
v. Restart and once inside BIOS, turn ON Thunderbolt and careful to set the correct NB or SB and Pciex slot,
vi. Save and boot in Windows, TB functional again,
vii. Repeat procedure every weekend.

Hope this helps

bgen5pax wrote:
My card also stops working after a while. Since I use my home PC every weekend and remains unpowered during weekdays, TBEX3 vanishes from BIOS completely. It's not detected in the NB Agent as a x4 adapter at all. All I have to do to remedy this is to take these steps:

i. Reset to BIOS defaults with the button at the back,
ii. Enter my settings manually or by loading from stored profile,
iii. TURN OFF Thunderbolt (in Advanced Menu),
iv. Save and boot in Windows (remember, no TB at this stage, it's off in the BIOS),
v. Restart and once inside BIOS, turn ON Thunderbolt and careful to set the correct NB or SB and Pciex slot,
vi. Save and boot in Windows, TB functional again,
vii. Repeat procedure every weekend.

Hope this helps

That sounds like Standard Operating Procedeeder "Asus SOP" . I went back to my deluxe dual tb2. It works . waiting to here back to RMA

linxeye
Level 8
Same problem here with the card suddenly disappearing from Windows 😮 Right now it shows as USB 3.1 controller. But the ThunderBolt part has vanished. God only knows why.

Asus, can you please do something ? 🙂

linxeye wrote:
Same problem here with the card suddenly disappearing from Windows 😮 Right now it shows as USB 3.1 controller. But the ThunderBolt part has vanished. God only knows why.

Asus, can you please do something ? 🙂

This is exactly what happens to me too. If I use my PC on a daily basis, I have no problems whatsoever, TB3+USB3.1 are recognized in both BIOS and Win10.
If the PC remains off for 2-3 days, TBEX3 vanishes from BIOS and only USB3.1 is working inside Windows.
Every time I have to do the procedure I outlined above to get it working again.

linxeye
Level 8
So what should we do to get this card working as it should ? Asus, please ?

hellokitty
Level 11
I did the support i think? 2 months ago, they said they had to move to a higher tier, still no word from them. My thunderbolt 2 still working, sometimes it fails on startup, but i usally get it back after another restart.

well now they want me to rma it, after months and numerous pointless emails. They need to get there support together. well i just bought a Gigabyte Alpine ridge thunderbolt 3 card, very hard to find, coming from germany. from what i have read this should work, but i wonder if it will have same issues?