Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Guys, just so you know, the other day a FW updater was posted on Asus website for the TB3ex card (no changelog). It has been removed since then. Didn't manage to upgrade mine though...

New ROGer Array fexnok PC Specs
    fexnok PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage Extreme Vi
    Processori9 7980XE
    Memory (part number)CMK64GX4M8B3400C16
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA GTX 1080Ti Founders
    Sound CardRME Fireface UFX+
    MonitorASUS PG348Q
    Storage #1Samsung 960 PRO 2TB x 2 + Intel 750 1.2TB
    Storage #2Samsung SM961 Polaris 1TB x 2
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15S
    CaseCalyos NSG S0 Fanless (soon)
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime 850 Titanium
    Keyboard Code V2B
    Mouse Logitech M330
    Headset Sennheiser HD800
    Mouse Pad Black one
    Headset/Speakers Yamaha MSP7
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterWatchguard T50-W
    Accessory #1 Sennheiser HDVD800
    Accessory #2 QNAP TVS-882ST3
    Accessory #3 ASUS M.2 Hyper X16

Quote Originally Posted by linxeye View Post
    Guys, just so you know, the other day a FW updater was posted on Asus website for the TB3ex card (no changelog). It has been removed since then. Didn't manage to upgrade mine though...
    Just checked and is back on the ASUS USA website. I've upgraded mine to version 18.05.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-11-12.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	68891

Name:	2017-11-12 (2).jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	68892

ROG Enthusiast Array Szaquak PC Specs
    Szaquak PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Rampage V Extreme
    ProcessorIntel i7 5820K
    Memory (part number)Geil CL16-16-16 D4-3000 [16GB]
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GeForce 750
    Graphics Card #2XFX R9 280X
    Graphics Card #3XFX R9 280X
    Sound Cardintegral
    MonitorDell U2410
    Storage #1RevoDrive X2
    Storage #2some HDD
    CPU CoolerProlimatech Armageddon
    CaseThermaltake Armor+
    Power Supplybe quiet! Dark power Pro 1200 W
    Keyboard Logitech G15
    Mouse Logitech G5
    Headset Creative Aurvana Live!
    OS Windows 7 x64
    Network RouterASUS WL-500W

New ROGer Array frameli PC Specs
    frameli PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)2016 Razer Blade 14
    MotherboardRampage V Edition 10
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-6950X
    Memory (part number)128 GB G.Skill DDR4-3200
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia Titan-X (Pascal)
    Monitor34" Samsung Curved
    Storage #13x Samsung SSD (RAID0)
    Storage #23x Western Digital HHD (RAID0)
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X62
    CaseBe Quiet Silent Base 900
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i
    Keyboard Logitech
    Mouse Logitech
    Headset Corsair
    Mouse Pad Razer
    Headset/Speakers Corsair
    OS Windows 10 Professional
    Network RouterNetgear 8500

Failed Firmware Update?

Just noticed my DL doesn't contain a .BIN file...

Where do I get the .BIN file from?
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos Capture.jpg  

Last edited by frameli; 12-08-2017 at 07:11 PM.

New ROGer Array fexnok PC Specs
    fexnok PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage Extreme Vi
    Processori9 7980XE
    Memory (part number)CMK64GX4M8B3400C16
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA GTX 1080Ti Founders
    Sound CardRME Fireface UFX+
    MonitorASUS PG348Q
    Storage #1Samsung 960 PRO 2TB x 2 + Intel 750 1.2TB
    Storage #2Samsung SM961 Polaris 1TB x 2
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15S
    CaseCalyos NSG S0 Fanless (soon)
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime 850 Titanium
    Keyboard Code V2B
    Mouse Logitech M330
    Headset Sennheiser HD800
    Mouse Pad Black one
    Headset/Speakers Yamaha MSP7
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterWatchguard T50-W
    Accessory #1 Sennheiser HDVD800
    Accessory #2 QNAP TVS-882ST3
    Accessory #3 ASUS M.2 Hyper X16

Quote Originally Posted by frameli View Post
    Just noticed my DL doesn't contain a .BIN file...

Where do I get the .BIN file from?
    When you extract the file you should see these files

Name:	TB3.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	69441

If not it is probably that your antivirus deleted that file.

New ROGer Array frameli PC Specs
    frameli PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)2016 Razer Blade 14
    MotherboardRampage V Edition 10
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-6950X
    Memory (part number)128 GB G.Skill DDR4-3200
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia Titan-X (Pascal)
    Monitor34" Samsung Curved
    Storage #13x Samsung SSD (RAID0)
    Storage #23x Western Digital HHD (RAID0)
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X62
    CaseBe Quiet Silent Base 900
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i
    Keyboard Logitech
    Mouse Logitech
    Headset Corsair
    Mouse Pad Razer
    Headset/Speakers Corsair
    OS Windows 10 Professional
    Network RouterNetgear 8500

Problem solved

fexnok, Thanks!

Somehow, my BIN file got auto deleted.

ROG Junior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    there is a version 2 of the card now, dont know what is different. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...IDGE-rev-20#ov
    Are you still having luck with the Alpine Ridge card and your Asus motherboard? After struggling with the ThunderboltEX 3 for a long time I followed your suggestion and bought the Alpine Ridge card and now I'm having issues with that too.

My motherboard is an Asus X99-A II and I am trying to set it up with my MOTU 1248 audio interface. The MOTU is TB2 so I'm connecting using the official Apple TB2 to TB3 converter.

I first purchased the Asus TB EX 3 card and followed the directions here to get it to work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbT-79vF7eA

I had the unit in PCI slot 4 and the only thing I did that varied from the BIOS settings at that link was leave the slot's bandwith set to "Auto" instead of x4 since it wasn't an option with my motherboard (x8 or auto only).

My system worked perfectly for a day! It was a true joy. I came back a few days later and then I had the same issue where the TB software disappeared until I removed power from the system completely. So I powered back up and the TB system tray icon is back but now it won't recognize the interface any longer, just a blank list of attached devices no matter what port I tried.

So I bought the Alpine Ridge card, did a fresh driver install, and with those same BIOS settings, boom, it works perfectly immediately. But now I came back again after a few days and there's the same issue - after the full power down the system tray icon comes back, but it won't recognize any attached device. I tried a clean install for each PCI slot and each time the result was the same. The device manager shows the TB controller as working properly and in the TB software settings I can view the firmware version, etc..

Does anyone have any ideas at all on how to get this to work? After months of frustration I'm ready to just throw this motherboard in the trash and start a whole new build, but considering the both cards worked flawlessly for one day each, there must be some way to get this working correctly.

EDIT: Since this post I have done two more full clean installs of the Alpine Ridge card and drivers, each time in a different slot. The TB software shows up each time, Windows device manager shows the hardware as working properly, but the attached device list stays blank and my system never recognizes my audio interface.

EDIT 2: I also just set up the MOTU 1248 to work on TB3 via my laptop which has native TB3 support, so there is no issue with the audio interface, cables, or adapter.
    Last edited by Midnight On Mars; 12-23-2017 at 11:09 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array hellokitty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight On Mars View Post
    Are you still having luck with the Alpine Ridge card and your Asus motherboard? After struggling with the ThunderboltEX 3 for a long time I followed your suggestion and bought the Alpine Ridge card and now I'm having issues with that too.

My motherboard is an Asus X99-A II and I am trying to set it up with my MOTU 1248 audio interface. The MOTU is TB2 so I'm connecting using the official Apple TB2 to TB3 converter.

I first purchased the Asus TB EX 3 card and followed the directions here to get it to work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbT-79vF7eA

I had the unit in PCI slot 4 and the only thing I did that varied from the BIOS settings at that link was leave the slot's bandwith set to "Auto" instead of x4 since it wasn't an option with my motherboard (x8 or auto only).

My system worked perfectly for a day! It was a true joy. I came back a few days later and then I had the same issue where the TB software disappeared until I removed power from the system completely. So I powered back up and the TB system tray icon is back but now it won't recognize the interface any longer, just a blank list of attached devices no matter what port I tried.

So I bought the Alpine Ridge card, did a fresh driver install, and with those same BIOS settings, boom, it works perfectly immediately. But now I came back again after a few days and there's the same issue - after the full power down the system tray icon comes back, but it won't recognize any attached device. I tried a clean install for each PCI slot and each time the result was the same. The device manager shows the TB controller as working properly and in the TB software settings I can view the firmware version, etc..

Does anyone have any ideas at all on how to get this to work? After months of frustration I'm ready to just throw this motherboard in the trash and start a whole new build, but considering the both cards worked flawlessly for one day each, there must be some way to get this working correctly.

EDIT: Since this post I have done two more full clean installs of the Alpine Ridge card and drivers, each time in a different slot. The TB software shows up each time, Windows device manager shows the hardware as working properly, but the attached device list stays blank and my system never recognizes my audio interface.

EDIT 2: I also just set up the MOTU 1248 to work on TB3 via my laptop which has native TB3 support, so there is no issue with the audio interface, cables, or adapter.

I looked at your board, it has to be in a pcie 3.0 slot, there is 3 3.0/2.0 slots. Put in the last one on the end and in the bios select that slot under the thunderbolt settings. It is in small print on the boxes for the cards. need to be pcie 3.0 x4 . Try that. you only have 2 options on that board slot 4 and 6.

ROG Junior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    I looked at your board, it has to be in a pcie 3.0 slot, there is 3 3.0/2.0 slots. Put in the last one on the end and in the bios select that slot under the thunderbolt settings. It is in small print on the boxes for the cards. need to be pcie 3.0 x4 . Try that. you only have 2 options on that board slot 4 and 6.
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! So six is the slot the card is in already. Slot 6 per the manual is listed as PCIEx16_4, so I had been calling it 4. It worked perfectly in this spot on the first day I installed it without doing anything special.

What's happening now is that after the successful install, I didn't use the PC for a few days and when I returned it no longer worked. Each time I boot up I see the Thunderbolt Controller (1577) working correctly in Device Manager and the Thunderbolt Software shows up in the tray. Not sure if it's a relevant clue, but the Thunderbolt software tray icon now even shows up when Thunderbolt is disabled in BIOS. I have switched to using the Thunderbolt install package from Gigabyte with this card.

However, it doesn't recognize my audio interface at all. Additionally, when I right click the Thunderbolt tray icon, select settings, then details, it no longer shows my hardware's info. I just see this now:

Name:	TB3 2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	69894

And all I ever see in the Thunderbolt software is this blank screen:

Name:	TB3 1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	69893

So I just removed the hardware again, uninstalled the software, and deleted all Intel Thunderbolt folders left behind to do yet another clean install. Same results. Here are the BIOS settings I changed from the defaults (on version 1801 of the X99-A II's BIOS) based on the video I linked to in my first post:

Advanced / Intel Thunderbolt
    • Thunderbolt: Off --> On
    • Thunderbolt USB support: Off --> ON
    • Thunderbolt Boot Support: Off --> ON
    • [AIC Location Group: CPU0 NB PCI Slot
    • AC Location: NB PCIE X16_4
    • GPIO3 Force Pwr: On
    • Thunderbolt Device IO Resource Support: On

Advanced / Platform Misc Configuration
    • SA DMI ASPM: Disabled ---> Auto
    • PEG ASPM Support: Disabled ---> L1 Only
    • PCH DMI ASPM: Disabled ---> Enabled
    • ASPM Support: Disabled ---> L1 Only

Advanced / Onboard Device Configuration
    • HD Audio Controller: Enabled ---> Disabled
    • PCIEX16_4 Slot Bandwith: Auto ---> x8
    • The example video shows 4x, which is not an option for me for this slot, it's Auto or x8 Only
    • APM Configuration:
    • Power on By PCI-E/PCI: Disabled ---> Enabled

Boot Configuration:
    • Fast Boot: Disabled
    • DirectKey (DRCT): Disabled
    • Option ROM Messages: Force BIOS ---> Keep Current

Even though these settings worked the first time with both the Asus ThunderboltEX 3 and the Gigabyte Alpine Ridge, I'm having no luck now. I also tried using plain default settings and just turning on Thunderbolt and selecting the right slot, but that yielded the same results.
    Last edited by Midnight On Mars; 12-26-2017 at 12:44 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array hellokitty's Avatar

Hmmm, well mine is set to AIC location Group to CPU PCIE Slot, yours is pointing to the NB? change that if you can. Mine has been working well for along time and i have The asus card they sent me back from repair in it. I just hold onto the gigabyte card for a backup.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast