MonitorLG 34UC87M-B
    Storage #1950 Pro m.2
    CPU CoolerEKWB Fluid Gaming A240
    CaseCM Storm Stryker
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA Gold 850
    OS Win 8.1 - 64
    Accessory #1 ThunderboltEX 3

Tips to Getting to Work

Been following this thread for awhile and thought I'd chime in with some tips that aren't covered here.

USB Port
    Issue: If only a USB device is connected, it wont be detected until a TB device is attached.
    Solution: If you don't need/want the TB software to launch (or don't have a handy TB device to connect) but still want to use the USB port, go to your Device Manager and select View > Show Hidden devices. Slide down the list to the now revealed "Thunderbolt" device, right click and "Scan for Hardware Changes" This will connect to your USB device without requiring the Thunderbolt software to activate.

This card for me is at its most unstable if the USB is active (with or without Thunderbolt running) when doing any sort of Thunderbolt management (Approving Devices, installing Thunderbolt software) or if the USB is on when the system is shutting down. Most often it results in a crash to blue screen. So when using the EX3's USB port, I always make sure to shut down and unplug the device before shutting down the computer.

Also Note: On my ASRock BIOS, I have to set "Advanced > USB > Legacy USB 3 Support" set to OFF. This must be set or all of my USB 3.1r2 (10GB) ports (including the USB port on the Thunderbolt card) drop to USB 2 speeds after about 30 seconds.

Thunderbolt
    Issue: Device recognition
    Solutions: Contrary to earlier firmware versions of this card after the latest firmware update (NVM 18.05), the card seems to work better if I wait until the system is all the way up and running before turning on any Thunderbolt devices. Originally I had to make sure my devices were connected and powered up before turning on the system, now that seems to lead to instability, and sometimes outright failure to detect any devices.

Issue: Firmware Update crashes to blue screen
    Solution: Make sure there is nothing plugged into the USB port on the card.

Other Interesting Notes: I mostly have been working with TB2 devices and using an Apple TB3 -> 2 adapter to connect. No issues to report. It all seems to function as expected. Including TB networking with a TB1 device (Apple Mac Mini).
    ASRock x99 Formula OC/3.1 - 64GB 5820K
    950Pro
    Strix 1080ti
    ThunderboltEX 3

ROG Enthusiast Array hellokitty's Avatar

I only use the startech converter, i read somewhere? not use the apple one, or it has limitations? It was awhile ago. If i try to plug in a device after computer starts i get a lock up, so i dont bother. I have more problems with thunderbolt 2 devices on one system than another system i have, Lately. It is a hit and miss , mostly problems starting up, but after it is up nothing usually. if your only running thunderbolt 2 devices, i was just track down one of those cards? also asrock has a thunderbolt card now also. https://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/produ...bolt%203%20AIC . I have this board and thunderbolt 3 working no problems. https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fata...20Gaming-ITXac

ROG Junior Member Array nakedbaby PC Specs
    nakedbaby PC Specs
    MotherboardASRock x99 OC Formula/3.1
    Processor5820K
    Memory (part number)Ripjaws 4 F4-2400C150Q-32GRR
    Graphics Card #1STRIX-GTX1080Ti-O11G
    MonitorLG 34UC87M-B
    Storage #1950 Pro m.2
    CPU CoolerEKWB Fluid Gaming A240
    CaseCM Storm Stryker
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA Gold 850
    OS Win 8.1 - 64
    Accessory #1 ThunderboltEX 3

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    I If your only running thunderbolt 2 devices, i was just track down one of those cards? also asrock has a thunderbolt card now also. https://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/produ...bolt%203%20AIC . I have this board and thunderbolt 3 working no problems. https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fata...20Gaming-ITXac
    The only device I've had lockup problems with is CalDigit's Thunderbolt 2 Station, and then only if its the first device in the chain. The Apple adapter seems to function as expected. I had the Startech one for awhile, but switched to the Apple one to be able to access TB3 devices on my TB2/TB1 Apple computers (an option available in MacOS Sierra and later).
    I had the ASRock TB2 AIC and it worked fine, but only had a single port. I liked TBEX3's added USB 10GB port. I have a mix of TB3 , TB2 and TB1 devices and networks I work with, so having the EX3 is so far the best option.

ASRock's TB3 AIC won't work with my motherboard. I bought it and worked with it for a few weeks before giving up and sending it back. Might be an option if I had an x299 or 370 board.
    ASRock x99 Formula OC/3.1 - 64GB 5820K
    950Pro
    Strix 1080ti
    ThunderboltEX 3

Last edited by hellokitty; 01-19-2018 at 06:23 AM.

New ROGer Array Café Serré PC Specs
    Café Serré PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Sabertooth x99
    ProcessorIntel Core i7 5820K 3.30GHz
    Memory (part number)32Go DDR4 1.07GHz
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

Hi everyone,

Same problem here, thunderbolt ex3 magically stopped working at some point with my sabertooth x99 (it is shown in the bios but not in device manager). I've tried eveything I could (at least what is suggested in this post and others), and it's not working. But there is a thing I'm not sure about.
    It is with the software updates on the asus website.
    Should i use the last version from their website (16.3.59.250) ? Or should I also install the hotfix (17.2.71.250) or just the hotfix (I use windows10) ?
    It's kind of a dumb question (I think I should install the regular driver then the hotfix) but at that point I'm not sure of anything.

Also, I've seen that the firmware update tool should make it work.
    But I have some problems with it (again).
    Should I install just the firmware update tool or should I install the drivers as well ? My guess is yes I have to do it, but again, I'm still not sure about anything at that point.
    Also there is suppose to be a bin file with the firmware update tool, in order to make it work. I can't download it, even if I desactivate my anti virus software or if i download it with another computer with different os. Does someone have a link with the bin file in it ? Or just the bin file, so I can put it in the folder ?

I'm thinking about to go with the gigabyte card, it's just very hard to find, is it still working for the ones who bought it ?
    I also see that asrock made a card, did anyone tryied it ? http://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/produc...bolt%203%20AIC

And that's it. I hope I was clear, I'm french so I may have not spoken very clearly.

bios update, driver/hotfix. that is kind of the order that i did. if you could hold off i would wait for the Newer version "Titan Ridge" and the only thing that fixed the diapering was that i sent the card for a rma, for me. My card is still working.

New ROGer Array

Asus ThunderboltEX 3 Stop working

Hi everyone,

thanks for sharing your experience, I have been reading this thread since my ThunderboltEX 3 card stop working last Sunday. I have the ThunderboltEX 3 card working perfectly with my Asus X99 Deluxe 2 for more than a year without a glitch until last Sunday, my card stops connecting with my Thunderbolt device.

I have my Bios and ThunderboltEX 3 updated to the latest driver and it was still working fine before Sunday. *

Based on what I'm ready, Cafe Serre and Midnight on Mars share the same issue with the card, please see attached screen capture. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TB ex 3.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	71110 *

My device manger shows the Thunderblot Controller is working correctly however, the controller driver versions says unknown. I believe this is because my PC fail to install the Thunderblot firmware update tool Version 1.0.0.15. An error message saying "Failed to load Thunderbolt(TM) controllers through WMI." *I have no idea what that means so I read through this thread again I discovered I'm missing "tbFirmware.bin" from the firmware update tool, it is the bin file fexnok mentioned in this Thread. * I download the firmware update from Asus website again andtired extracting the file in both Windows and Mac, still the bin file is missing from the download rar file. *

Anyone who had any luck geting the bin file? Perhaps could share the file with us?

Thank you

Herb * **

yeh it is in the download, i just looked at mine. click on the the bar that says selected .bin file and browse to your download. that should work. after updateing shut down and unplug and power down for 30 secs at least. then restart, go into bios check everything and boot to windows.

New ROGer Array

Asus ThunderboltEX 3 Stop working

Quote Originally Posted by frameli View Post
    fexnok, Thanks!

Somehow, my BIN file got auto deleted.
    Were you able to get your BIN file from the recycle bin? *I have the same problem but I tried unpack the rar file from both PC and MAC, the bin file is still missing.*

I search the recycle bin, no much *.bin file exist. * What's your method of reteirving the *.bin file? *Can you share the Bin file?

Thank you.

HERB*

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast