Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    ROG Junior Member Array

After having both my first EX3 and then a Gigabyte card work for a day or two then fail, I made an additional call to Asus and they ended up RMAing my EX3. I installed the replacement yesterday and it just worked perfectly the first time without changing any BIOS settings.

I'm not celebrating yet though, I had similar successes with my first two attempts so I anticipate this breaking within a few days. I hope I'm wrong.

I updated the firmware to the latest version right away and have left the computer's power supply set to off and unplugged it when not in use because I remember others discussing the EX3 saying this helped keep things in order. Have others had good luck with their replacement cards?

Also, given that the BIOS settings appear to be correct and each time a new card is installed it seems to work briefly, has anyone figured out what's going on here? Are Asus motherboards actually shorting out these cards?
    Last edited by Midnight On Mars; 11-13-2018 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Spelling

ROG Guru: White Belt Array hellokitty's Avatar

I have not had a Problem, for a few years i think now, after i RMA. Both Cards work Fine, i would say maybe take caution plugging and unplugging, maybe it was a short "electrostatic" eg carpet and such? Gigabyte card i never RMA. well goodluck!

New ROGer Array

Missing file from Asus download - tbFirmware.bin

Hi to all,

Apologies for re-opening what is quite an old thread but I am experiencing the same issue in respect of the Asus Thunderbolt Ex3 Firmware Update download. I can confirm that the download continues to omit the "tbFirmware.bin" and as a result I too have encountered the issues previously reported by other contributors to this thread.

Regrettably, the link to obtain the missing file posted by Hellokitty earlier this year is no longer available. I would be especially grateful if Hellokitty, or any other forum member in possession of the elusive "tbFirmware.bin", could provide a similar link from where I might download a copy or suggest an alternate means of obtaining it.

Grateful thanks,

PC Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by PC Pilot View Post
    Hi to all,

Apologies for re-opening what is quite an old thread but I am experiencing the same issue in respect of the Asus Thunderbolt Ex3 Firmware Update download. I can confirm that the download continues to omit the "tbFirmware.bin" and as a result I too have encountered the issues previously reported by other contributors to this thread.

Regrettably, the link to obtain the missing file posted by Hellokitty earlier this year is no longer available. I would be especially grateful if Hellokitty, or any other forum member in possession of the elusive "tbFirmware.bin", could provide a similar link from where I might download a copy or suggest an alternate means of obtaining it.

Grateful thanks,

PC Pilot
    try this https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au_KS7Z90j8hgZlvKfs407NQPHTprQ

New ROGer Array

Thanks hk………..very much appreciated...……….will try it over the next few days.

Any tips on how to run the updater? Save to root? Run in Windows? Safe Mode? DOS?

I notice there is a config file which appears to be in .xml format?

Any advice welcome

PC Pilot

you just put that file in with TbtFwUpdate_1.0.0.15_release from the asus download, and run TbtFwUpdate

ROG Member Array

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TB_Screengrab.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	78250Hey, I have the same mobo as you. I just got the Ex 3 and am trying to get this thing to work. I have a thunderbolt drive plugged in it shows under thunderbolt devices(as in the screen grab) but nothing is mounting in file explorer. I tried updating the FW. I downloaded you .bin file and placed it in the folder yet I am getting this error.

Forcing power to the Thunderbolt controller(s)...
    The Thunderbolt controller(s) is now powered.
    Current NVM version = 26
    Specified file (.dat) doesn't exist.

Please click the "Cancel" button to finish the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterShan View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TB_Screengrab.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	78250Hey, I have the same mobo as you. I just got the Ex 3 and am trying to get this thing to work. I have a thunderbolt drive plugged in it shows under thunderbolt devices(as in the screen grab) but nothing is mounting in file explorer. I tried updating the FW. I downloaded you .bin file and placed it in the folder yet I am getting this error.

Forcing power to the Thunderbolt controller(s)...
    The Thunderbolt controller(s) is now powered.
    Current NVM version = 26
    Specified file (.dat) doesn't exist.

Please click the "Cancel" button to finish the tool.
    what version number of the software? im running my gigabyte card at the moment, i can swap later today, but this is what my info looks like. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 104.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	78255

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    what version number of the software? im running my gigabyte card at the moment, i can swap later today, but this is what my info looks like. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 104.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	78255
    Ah. Thank you so much dude for keeping on your thread. People who need TB 3 seems to be rare but since I am a video editor this is a must for me. Why are these cards so terrible? Is the Gigabyte better? Anyway, here is what my Details say. Looks like I am on a higher firmware version then you but lower Software package. Which is strange. I downloaded the software on the Asus website and that's what they gave me. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TB_Screengrab_2.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	78262

the firmware is lower on the gigabyte card, because gigabyte hasn't updated it since it came out. april 2017. awesome support from gigabyte. i have allways tried newer software, and it works most of the time, i havent tried the latest version, i goto intel website and look for newer versions. i have a Kona 4 in a sonnet SE 1 and it just works, The asus card works it is just sitting here, having 2 ports on the gigabyte card is nice. was the drive mac formated? does it show up under disk management? I will put my asus card in my other system and see what is going on, i have a external thunderbolt 2 drive enclosure, i can mess around with. make shure driver signature is off maybe? that might be stopping the update, yeh i had trouble updateing the gigabyte card along time ago. they work great when you get it setup, just there is very next to nothing for help. if your card was bad, the card wouldnt even show up, that happened with my first asus card, been fine since it was replaced. well let me know.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast