Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

The drive was formatted for Mac but I have "Mac Drive" which has been a flawless in letting me read Mac formatted disks. I thought that might be the issue but I also tried NTSF and it the drive wasn't mounting either. Do you have Mac Drive? Does that work for you? .... I am confused as to what the Thunderbolt software is. Is that universal? Not a reference to Asus? What do you mean by make sure driver signature is set to off? Sorry, never heard of that....If I can find your version of that software elsewhere would that work as well?

ROG Member Array

I actually got it working! I went to Intel's site and found your version of the firmware. I manually installed it. Now it's working. I was even able to format it for Mac with Mac Drive and it reads. Although I still am getting that error when I try to update the firmware. The thing is my transfer speeds aren't great with the card. Is there a HD and SSD speed benchmark test I can use to make sure it's working right?

ROG Enthusiast Array hellokitty's Avatar

aja has one, i think you can install it, without the other software. it is aja system test, it is in here. https://www.aja.com/products/kona-4#support download the package and only install what you need

Quote Originally Posted by MisterShan View Post
    I actually got it working! I went to Intel's site and found your version of the firmware. I manually installed it. Now it's working. I was even able to format it for Mac with Mac Drive and it reads. Although I still am getting that error when I try to update the firmware. The thing is my transfer speeds aren't great with the card. Is there a HD and SSD speed benchmark test I can use to make sure it's working right?

here if you want to speed things up, try this, it works, 60 day trial. http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/ primocache. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 073.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	78268

ROG Member Array

My god, how are you getting those speeds? Not even my SSDs are getting more than a few hundred mb/sec... My Thunderbolt Drive is getting 93 mb/sec and 103 mb/sec. IS that speed test off your TB 3 drive? You have an Asus Rampage V right? What is your CPU? I have a i7 5820k.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterShan View Post
    My god, how are you getting those speeds? Not even my SSDs are getting more than a few hundred mb/sec... My Thunderbolt Drive is getting 93 mb/sec and 103 mb/sec. IS that speed test off your TB 3 drive? You have an Asus Rampage V right? What is your CPU? I have a i7 5820k.
    No i normally get. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 109.png 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	78272
    with a 8 drive raid array, and a Broadcom 9361-8I , they are just good 2tb drives, cheep like $60 a piece? Raid with a good card has allways worked for me, i never have problems. So you install Primo Cache and make a cache with some of your ram, i have 64 gig so i made a 32gig cache. then i set my m.2 as the level 2 and gave it 100 gig. I just did it for testing, i dont need for day to day. Yeh rampage V Extreme I7 5930k , the 5930K give you ALL the pcie lanes for a better price, i would upgrade to it or the newer one, Im watching the prices drop on the 6950X on the ebay, will get one at some point. Your thunderbolt drive is just a regular drive right? well it will only do what it can do/rated for. check to see that your thunderbolt card is running at X4 also. and it should be in the last slot also.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    No i normally get. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 109.png 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	78272
    with a 8 drive raid array, and a Broadcom 9361-8I , they are just good 2tb drives, cheep like $60 a piece? Raid with a good card has allways worked for me, i never have problems. So you install Primo Cache and make a cache with some of your ram, i have 64 gig so i made a 32gig cache. then i set my m.2 as the level 2 and gave it 100 gig. I just did it for testing, i dont need for day to day. Yeh rampage V Extreme I7 5930k , the 5930K give you ALL the pcie lanes for a better price, i would upgrade to it or the newer one, Im watching the prices drop on the 6950X on the ebay, will get one at some point. Your thunderbolt drive is just a regular drive right? well it will only do what it can do/rated for. check to see that your thunderbolt card is running at X4 also. and it should be in the last slot also.
    Those are regular hard drives? I am so confused as to how you even get to those speeds. Like I said it's way beyond my SSDs connected directly to my system. The drive I am using is actually a TB 2 with a TB 2 to 3 Apple dongle I use for my Mac Book Pro. Still even TB 2 should be getting much higher speeds no? Basically shouldn't I be getting 40gbs? I am confused how this all works.

As far as the chip. Well, I am waiting for the 7nm chips and then I will upgrade to whatever the 1k Ryzen chip is and I will get a new mobo plus 4,000 mhz DDR 4 ram. I definitely will not cheap out on processor this time around. Why you bother with an X99 chip when you can get a 10 core 9 series chip for cheaper? Then you could get a new mobo with proper Thunderbolt 3 on it no?

Pcie Lanes, are very important, X99 and X299 can have the most. you only get like 20-24 i think from the cheaper chips.=cheaper chipset. i have a 1080ti running at x16 a raid card running at x8 a 10gbe nic running at x4 and the thunderbolt 3 card running at x4, thats just 32 lanes im useing i still have 8 left. i have PLENTY of other computers that are Z370 down, there good for games and some stuff, but they max out all the lanes quick. if you go amd you wont have thunderbolt and theres more latency also. If your serious about video, you just pay the intel tax, cheeper is NOT allways better, Mac dont use AMD. Your not getting the speed you think you should get, because the drive in that external box is slow, look up the specs of the actuall drive, it will tell you. Raid is the only way to go for speed and alot of storage, buy 8 of these and a raid card, get the same one i got. and it is very fast. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitachi-Ult...e/151686996120

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    Pcie Lanes, are very important, X99 and X299 can have the most. you only get like 20-24 i think from the cheaper chips.=cheaper chipset. i have a 1080ti running at x16 a raid card running at x8 a 10gbe nic running at x4 and the thunderbolt 3 card running at x4, thats just 32 lanes im useing i still have 8 left. i have PLENTY of other computers that are Z370 down, there good for games and some stuff, but they max out all the lanes quick. if you go amd you wont have thunderbolt and theres more latency also. If your serious about video, you just pay the intel tax, cheeper is NOT allways better, Mac dont use AMD. Your not getting the speed you think you should get, because the drive in that external box is slow, look up the specs of the actuall drive, it will tell you. Raid is the only way to go for speed and alot of storage, buy 8 of these and a raid card, get the same one i got. and it is very fast. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitachi-Ult...e/151686996120
    Yea but this chip is the same price as the best X99 chip and you can get a new better mobo too. It has 44 PCIE lanes and 4 more cores.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...x_3_3_ghz.html.

I hope I am serious about video. It's how I make a living. Whenever I work on site they usually have massive expensive servers which I have no idea how they are being constructed. However, when I work off a single drive or even a little rugged Lacie drive like the TB 2 one I am having issues with, it usually is exactly the same speed wise. In fact I usually have a better time editing at home because the usually are using old 5k imacs or the trash can macs. But its blowing my mind now at the difference in power.

ROG Member Array

I plugged the Thunderbolt 2 drive in via USB 3.0 and it's giving me basically the same speed...Even though the drive is 5400 RPM shouldn't Thunderbolt 2 still be much faster? This is the drive. And I actually have the card in the second 16x/8x PCI slot. However, I read that the Asus card runs natively on 2x anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/LaCie-Rugged-.../dp/B00LN8QJYY

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast