Thread: Headset woes

ROG Enthusiast Array TheOnlyDoor PC Specs
    TheOnlyDoor PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS ROG Strix Hero III
    MotherboardASUS Z390 Maximus Hero XI (WiFi)
    ProcessorI9 9900k @ 4.9 (all core no AVX offset)
    Memory (part number)32 GB Trident Z RGB DDR4 @ 3200mhz
    Graphics Card #1EVGA 2080Ti FTW (+100 core/+900 mem)
    MonitorASUS PG27UQ 27inch 4k HDR
    Storage #1Samsung 960 pro M.2 2 TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair h115i
    CaseNZXT Phantom (White) Full ATX
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i 80+ platinum
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Logitech G502
    Headset Steel Series 840 wireless Gaming Headset
    Mouse Pad Star Citizen Anvil Areospace 32 inch gaming pad
    Headset/Speakers Logitech stereo speakers
    OS Windows 10 pro 64 bit
    Network RouterVerizon Quantum Gateway
    Accessory #1 HTC Vive Pro

Headset woes

Why cant manufacturers of Gaming headsets give us both quality sound and a quality mic?
    So I decided last week after I busted the usb dongle on my Mad Cats Freq 7 that I had for 3 years, that it was time for a new headset. The FREQ 7 7.1 was good. Mic was not bad iether and had become accustomed to the sound quality and TS friends never complained about how I sounded. However, I thought this time I would do some better research and get the best gaming headset no matter the price ( or at least under $400.00).
    After a few hours and several review websites I settled on the new Sennheiser 373d's for $250.00 on Amazon. The 7.1 on them was a bit better than the Mad Cats but not really an kind of fantastic jump for 3 times the cost. The mic was fantastic. Teamspeak friends said it was broadcast quality sounding. The only problem? Even at max volume on the headset and maxed in windows, they were to quiet, almost as if they needed 20-30 percent more volume, no way to fix it without also buying an amp....so back off to Amazon for a refund.
    Next was the Logitech G933 wireless. Again , the sound was ok. The 7.1 seemed a bit muddled actually and the Mic sounded like a cheap 5 dollar walkie talkie set. Team speak friends didnt even want to hear me talking with it.....back to Best Buy for a refund this time. Lastly after even more research I settled on the Hyperx Cloud 2's. Fantastic 7.1, better than the Siennhiesers, Logitech G933's or the Madcats. Mic was decent, not better than Siennhieser but much better than Logitech.....the only problem..........No sidetone on these. So I cant hear how loud I am in game.
    I just cant win. Though it looks like I might be settling on the Cloud 2's
    I saw that ROG has their new "Centurions", Which though much of the world seems to have, North America dosent yet and no ETA apparently. Had my fingers crossed that they would release within the next 10 days so I might return the cloud 2's and go for the mighty ROG Centurions for a last hope. After all for a $350.00 headset they must sound like heaven right?
    Alas I saw this post today: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ight=centurion
    It appears the Centurion, despite its fantastic advertising and 7.1 specs, has a garbage mic like the logitech.
    I know for some the mic dosent matter, but for those of us who dont want to sound like were using an electrolarynx to our friends, why cant anyone make a quality total package when it comes to gaming headsets????

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

I think it would be easier to find the best audio quality headphones and then use a ModMic or a desk mic. I haven't been truly happy with any gaming headset I've purchased so that's what I'm going to do.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

TheOnlyDoor PC Specs
    CPU CoolerCorsair h115i
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 pro 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    I think it would be easier to find the best audio quality headphones and then use a ModMic or a desk mic. I haven't been truly happy with any gaming headset I've purchased so that's what I'm going to do.
    Which I could do I guess. But then I need to use up a pci lane removing the ability for dual gpu so I can get a 7.1 sound card.
    A good gaming headset would be a matter of convenience, which I would glady pay $300.00 to $500.00 for if some company would actually build with quality instead of cheap junk with glowing LED's or red owl eyes.

Ex-employee Array

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyDoor View Post
    Why cant manufacturers of Gaming headsets give us both quality sound and a quality mic?
    So I decided last week after I busted the usb dongle on my Mad Cats Freq 7 that I had for 3 years, that it was time for a new headset. The FREQ 7 7.1 was good. Mic was not bad iether and had become accustomed to the sound quality and TS friends never complained about how I sounded. However, I thought this time I would do some better research and get the best gaming headset no matter the price ( or at least under $400.00).
    After a few hours and several review websites I settled on the new Sennheiser 373d's for $250.00 on Amazon. The 7.1 on them was a bit better than the Mad Cats but not really an kind of fantastic jump for 3 times the cost. The mic was fantastic. Teamspeak friends said it was broadcast quality sounding. The only problem? Even at max volume on the headset and maxed in windows, they were to quiet, almost as if they needed 20-30 percent more volume, no way to fix it without also buying an amp....so back off to Amazon for a refund.
    Next was the Logitech G933 wireless. Again , the sound was ok. The 7.1 seemed a bit muddled actually and the Mic sounded like a cheap 5 dollar walkie talkie set. Team speak friends didnt even want to hear me talking with it.....back to Best Buy for a refund this time. Lastly after even more research I settled on the Hyperx Cloud 2's. Fantastic 7.1, better than the Siennhiesers, Logitech G933's or the Madcats. Mic was decent, not better than Siennhieser but much better than Logitech.....the only problem..........No sidetone on these. So I cant hear how loud I am in game.
    I just cant win. Though it looks like I might be settling on the Cloud 2's
    I saw that ROG has their new "Centurions", Which though much of the world seems to have, North America dosent yet and no ETA apparently. Had my fingers crossed that they would release within the next 10 days so I might return the cloud 2's and go for the mighty ROG Centurions for a last hope. After all for a $350.00 headset they must sound like heaven right?
    Alas I saw this post today: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ight=centurion
    It appears the Centurion, despite its fantastic advertising and 7.1 specs, has a garbage mic like the logitech.
    I know for some the mic dosent matter, but for those of us who dont want to sound like were using an electrolarynx to our friends, why cant anyone make a quality total package when it comes to gaming headsets????
    You're definitely an expert audiophile, thank you for providing your feedback with other products you have tested out. I'll pass over the feedback to our audio team regarding the Centurion and we hope to continue making improvements to create that perfect headset.

xeromist PC Specs
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Mouse Logitech MX500

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyDoor View Post
    Which I could do I guess. But then I need to use up a pci lane removing the ability for dual gpu so I can get a 7.1 sound card.
    A good gaming headset would be a matter of convenience, which I would glady pay $300.00 to $500.00 for if some company would actually build with quality instead of cheap junk with glowing LED's or red owl eyes.
    I know it sounds silly but you could use a 7.1 headset for the sound and still use a separate mic. I think you're unlikely to ever find an integrated mic that sounds as good as a decent desk mic. I'm not excusing the industry, but given the situation I think it's easier to just look for the best of breed in discreet components rather than hunting a unicorn.

TheOnlyDoor PC Specs
    CPU CoolerCorsair h115i
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 pro 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    I know it sounds silly but you could use a 7.1 headset for the sound and still use a separate mic. I think you're unlikely to ever find an integrated mic that sounds as good as a decent desk mic. I'm not excusing the industry, but given the situation I think it's easier to just look for the best of breed in discreet components rather than hunting a unicorn.
    Do you know if the mod mic has built in sidetone?

xeromist PC Specs
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Mouse Logitech MX500

I'm pretty sure it's just a pickup. It attaches magnetically to the outside of headphones so I suspect any attempt to produce or induce sidetone would have undesirable results.

Personally I've never felt I needed it as I set comms levels appropriately and I'm not one to raise my voice. It's more of an issue with telephone since I can't adjust my outbound volume. If that's an important feature for you then I'm not sure how to achieve it with a discrete mic, other than a mixer.