cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Headset woes

TheOnlyDoor
Level 7
Why cant manufacturers of Gaming headsets give us both quality sound and a quality mic?
So I decided last week after I busted the usb dongle on my Mad Cats Freq 7 that I had for 3 years, that it was time for a new headset. The FREQ 7 7.1 was good. Mic was not bad iether and had become accustomed to the sound quality and TS friends never complained about how I sounded. However, I thought this time I would do some better research and get the best gaming headset no matter the price ( or at least under $400.00).
After a few hours and several review websites I settled on the new Sennheiser 373d's for $250.00 on Amazon. The 7.1 on them was a bit better than the Mad Cats but not really an kind of fantastic jump for 3 times the cost. The mic was fantastic. Teamspeak friends said it was broadcast quality sounding. The only problem? Even at max volume on the headset and maxed in windows, they were to quiet, almost as if they needed 20-30 percent more volume, no way to fix it without also buying an amp....so back off to Amazon for a refund.
Next was the Logitech G933 wireless. Again , the sound was ok. The 7.1 seemed a bit muddled actually and the Mic sounded like a cheap 5 dollar walkie talkie set. Team speak friends didnt even want to hear me talking with it.....back to Best Buy for a refund this time. Lastly after even more research I settled on the Hyperx Cloud 2's. Fantastic 7.1, better than the Siennhiesers, Logitech G933's or the Madcats. Mic was decent, not better than Siennhieser but much better than Logitech.....the only problem..........No sidetone on these. So I cant hear how loud I am in game.
I just cant win. Though it looks like I might be settling on the Cloud 2's
I saw that ROG has their new "Centurions", Which though much of the world seems to have, North America dosent yet and no ETA apparently. Had my fingers crossed that they would release within the next 10 days so I might return the cloud 2's and go for the mighty ROG Centurions for a last hope. After all for a $350.00 headset they must sound like heaven right?
Alas I saw this post today: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91115-Rog-Centurion-Headset-mic-is-shocking&highlight=cent...
It appears the Centurion, despite its fantastic advertising and 7.1 specs, has a garbage mic like the logitech.
I know for some the mic dosent matter, but for those of us who dont want to sound like were using an electrolarynx to our friends, why cant anyone make a quality total package when it comes to gaming headsets????
6 REPLIES 6

xeromist
I think it would be easier to find the best audio quality headphones and then use a ModMic or a desk mic. I haven't been truly happy with any gaming headset I've purchased so that's what I'm going to do.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
I think it would be easier to find the best audio quality headphones and then use a ModMic or a desk mic. I haven't been truly happy with any gaming headset I've purchased so that's what I'm going to do.

Which I could do I guess. But then I need to use up a pci lane removing the ability for dual gpu so I can get a 7.1 sound card.
A good gaming headset would be a matter of convenience, which I would glady pay $300.00 to $500.00 for if some company would actually build with quality instead of cheap junk with glowing LED's or red owl eyes.

TheOnlyDoor wrote:
Which I could do I guess. But then I need to use up a pci lane removing the ability for dual gpu so I can get a 7.1 sound card.
A good gaming headset would be a matter of convenience, which I would glady pay $300.00 to $500.00 for if some company would actually build with quality instead of cheap junk with glowing LED's or red owl eyes.

I know it sounds silly but you could use a 7.1 headset for the sound and still use a separate mic. I think you're unlikely to ever find an integrated mic that sounds as good as a decent desk mic. I'm not excusing the industry, but given the situation I think it's easier to just look for the best of breed in discreet components rather than hunting a unicorn.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
I know it sounds silly but you could use a 7.1 headset for the sound and still use a separate mic. I think you're unlikely to ever find an integrated mic that sounds as good as a decent desk mic. I'm not excusing the industry, but given the situation I think it's easier to just look for the best of breed in discreet components rather than hunting a unicorn.

Do you know if the mod mic has built in sidetone?

Bahz
Level 12
TheOnlyDoor wrote:
Why cant manufacturers of Gaming headsets give us both quality sound and a quality mic?
So I decided last week after I busted the usb dongle on my Mad Cats Freq 7 that I had for 3 years, that it was time for a new headset. The FREQ 7 7.1 was good. Mic was not bad iether and had become accustomed to the sound quality and TS friends never complained about how I sounded. However, I thought this time I would do some better research and get the best gaming headset no matter the price ( or at least under $400.00).
After a few hours and several review websites I settled on the new Sennheiser 373d's for $250.00 on Amazon. The 7.1 on them was a bit better than the Mad Cats but not really an kind of fantastic jump for 3 times the cost. The mic was fantastic. Teamspeak friends said it was broadcast quality sounding. The only problem? Even at max volume on the headset and maxed in windows, they were to quiet, almost as if they needed 20-30 percent more volume, no way to fix it without also buying an amp....so back off to Amazon for a refund.
Next was the Logitech G933 wireless. Again , the sound was ok. The 7.1 seemed a bit muddled actually and the Mic sounded like a cheap 5 dollar walkie talkie set. Team speak friends didnt even want to hear me talking with it.....back to Best Buy for a refund this time. Lastly after even more research I settled on the Hyperx Cloud 2's. Fantastic 7.1, better than the Siennhiesers, Logitech G933's or the Madcats. Mic was decent, not better than Siennhieser but much better than Logitech.....the only problem..........No sidetone on these. So I cant hear how loud I am in game.
I just cant win. Though it looks like I might be settling on the Cloud 2's
I saw that ROG has their new "Centurions", Which though much of the world seems to have, North America dosent yet and no ETA apparently. Had my fingers crossed that they would release within the next 10 days so I might return the cloud 2's and go for the mighty ROG Centurions for a last hope. After all for a $350.00 headset they must sound like heaven right?
Alas I saw this post today: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91115-Rog-Centurion-Headset-mic-is-shocking&highlight=cent...
It appears the Centurion, despite its fantastic advertising and 7.1 specs, has a garbage mic like the logitech.
I know for some the mic dosent matter, but for those of us who dont want to sound like were using an electrolarynx to our friends, why cant anyone make a quality total package when it comes to gaming headsets????

You're definitely an expert audiophile, thank you for providing your feedback with other products you have tested out. I'll pass over the feedback to our audio team regarding the Centurion and we hope to continue making improvements to create that perfect headset.

xeromist
I'm pretty sure it's just a pickup. It attaches magnetically to the outside of headphones so I suspect any attempt to produce or induce sidetone would have undesirable results.

Personally I've never felt I needed it as I set comms levels appropriately and I'm not one to raise my voice. It's more of an issue with telephone since I can't adjust my outbound volume. If that's an important feature for you then I'm not sure how to achieve it with a discrete mic, other than a mixer.