cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback about G752VS and Thunderbolt Dock ?

kevlaar
Level 7
I am looking for a Thunderbolt 3.0 dock for my G752VS and am interested in any feedback others have had before I buy one.

Primary concern is to ensure I connect (at least) 2 monitors at 1080p, gigabit ethernet, and speakers. Power would be neat, but I am not sure the port will accept the kind of wattage needed.

It seems like the Dell TB16 (http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-thunderbolt-dock-tb16-240w/apd/452-bcnu/pc-accessories) would work and have recommendations from a couple Dell laptop users, but want to see what the ROG community has experienced.

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2

patrioticalien
Level 7
kevlaar wrote:
I am looking for a Thunderbolt 3.0 dock for my G752VS and am interested in any feedback others have had before I buy one.

Primary concern is to ensure I connect (at least) 2 monitors at 1080p, gigabit ethernet, and speakers. Power would be neat, but I am not sure the port will accept the kind of wattage needed.

It seems like the Dell TB16 (http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-thunderbolt-dock-tb16-240w/apd/452-bcnu/pc-accessories) would work and have recommendations from a couple Dell laptop users, but want to see what the ROG community has experienced.

Thanks!

The Dell thunderbolt dock's are limited to what it can work with, even in the dell range. - Check with dell.

Regarding the screens, limitation of mobile hardware: you can only be able to support: two or three dedicated monitors from the chipset (based on what chipset you have) including, the laptop display when turned on. See intel tech doc's with your CPU version.
However, thunderbolt three is able to display on multi-monitor setup from a single thunderbolt 3 port.

For thunderbolt, you need to check, your local thunderbolt firmware version. - Not all thunderbolt devices, will work due to the firmware version of the local machine, which may not, meet the required thunderbolt version of unit x and has item x been confirmed that it works with your OEM - always check these, before you buy anything.

Think about Thunderbolt versions, like windows o.s. if program x needs windows 10 to run and machine x only has windows 98. It's not going to work out of the box.

Use to have my Rog GX700 running 5k to my dell 5k monitor - which requires two display ports for 5k to work. It was an absolute pain finding a good TB3 adapter honestly which worked, some adapters showed up bricked, some died a few hours later. Tried StarTech, they seem to be good adapters - haven't had many issues had to pull it out and plug it back in a couple of times - apart from that it's been outputting fine.

patrioticalien wrote:
The Dell thunderbolt dock's are limited to what it can work with, even in the dell range. - Check with dell.

Regarding the screens, limitation of mobile hardware: you can only be able to support: two or three dedicated monitors from the chipset (based on what chipset you have) including, the laptop display when turned on. See intel tech doc's with your CPU version.
However, thunderbolt three is able to display on multi-monitor setup from a single thunderbolt 3 port.

For thunderbolt, you need to check, your local thunderbolt firmware version. - Not all thunderbolt devices, will work due to the firmware version of the local machine, which may not, meet the required thunderbolt version of unit x and has item x been confirmed that it works with your OEM - always check these, before you buy anything.

Think about Thunderbolt versions, like windows o.s. if program x needs windows 10 to run and machine x only has windows 98. It's not going to work out of the box.

Use to have my Rog GX700 running 5k to my dell 5k monitor - which requires two display ports for 5k to work. It was an absolute pain finding a good TB3 adapter honestly which worked, some adapters showed up bricked, some died a few hours later. Tried StarTech, they seem to be good adapters - haven't had many issues had to pull it out and plug it back in a couple of times - apart from that it's been outputting fine.

Thanks, patrioticalien, good info.

I had not seen a StarTech docking station that had the ports I was looking for, but it looks like with an adapter cable, I can make the TB3DK2DPW work for me. Thanks