cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Win10 UEFI hard drive from Rampage 4 Extr to Rampage 5 Ed 10

Woelund
Level 7
Hi,

I am not new to computers, but am very inexperienced when it comes to UEFI. My situation: I am planning to upgrade my existing machine (Rampage IV Extr) to a Rampage V Ed 10 board, along with a new processor and memory. Now I would like to take my existing Win10 disk (a Samsung 840 Evo SSD) and ideally connect it to the new board and just boot from it. I realize that I will have all sorts of driver issues when moving from the old board to the new one, but I think once I actually booted into Win10 I will be able to solve those. I want to avoid having to set up my Windows anew.
However: Will UEFI find my drive after the move to the new board or is there some mechanism which will prevent the booting from this drive ? Remember: the Rampage V Ed 10 board will never have seen this disk before ... that is my worry. So maybe the new board UEFI BIOS will say "Na ... this disk is not mine .. I will not boot from that."

IF that is true (if indeed the booting from a moved UEFI disk is not easily possible) ... are there any tricks I can do to make it boot ?

Thanks !

Woelund
9 REPLIES 9

kkn
Level 14
you have to do fresh instal, hence old mobo drivers will make havock on your system and slow it so mutch down you wont beleve it if you are lucky to boot from it.
so a fresh instal is always to prefer, you can back up all your stuff before moving over tho.

Hi,

thanks for the reply - I understand that the old drivers will cause some issues, but I think if the OS would boot it will recognize that the hardware has changed, so the drivers would just be deactivated and new drivers (whereever possible) would spring into action. It is perfectly clear to me that a new install is cleaner and easier to implement in the end.

My main question was: would UEFI allow me to attempt to boot from a UEFI syste hard disk, which came from another computer ? Would it recognize that there is a UEFI boot partition available or is there some mechanism in UEFI which locks one UEFI prepared file system to a particular machine / hardware ?
And - as a follow-up : (If it does not work automatically ...) What would I have to do to make the new machine recognize and at least attempt to boot from my old UEFI hard disk ?

Unfortunately I do not have two UEFI machines, so I cannot just try it, hence my question.

Thanks !

Woelund

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I just transferred a UEFI install from X99 RVE10 to Z270 and then back again to RVE and then again to RVE10..it does "work" so I guess from RIVE to RVE10 will "work" too.

I put "work" because of course it isn't the way to do things and I soon had issues...and clean install is best. I only tried it knowing I was going to do a clean install in the end.

Hi Arne,

thanks for the answer. That at least gives me a hint that the pure "find that UEFI boot device and boot from it" should work. I guess the Rampage IV and Rampage V are not soooo unrelated that that would fail.

You mention issues which you ran into, after having moved the disk. Can you explain a bit more, what type of issues ? For me hearing from someone who has already done that would be extremely valuable.

I am not excluding a fresh installation totally as apossibility, but I would really like to attempt to work the drivers first and give the old OS a shot at surviving ... I know it is not the correct way, but on the other hand I would hate to have to re-install everything on the machine ...

Thanks !

Woelund

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I moved the installation and installed chipset mei lan and display drivers but I had weird stuff happening after a while. Firestrike bench would crash on a GPU OC that was 100% stable before (had various GPU and display driver issues that would not manifest in normal day to day use)...thumbnails for images would load super slow when going through photos...my sound playback device would set to my monitor...lots of weird little niggles appeared at different times....

Basically I left install only while setting up overclocks...I knew something of the sort would happen from previous tries...clean install was always going to happen.

Returning from z270 to X99 things got a whole lot worse... RAM related crashes (though I was getting BSODs from Overclocking set up as I fine tuned so some of that second transfer glitching may be due to OS corruption from hard resets/failures)...

In the end however, we have seen time and again on this forum that this leads to many problems...so always recommend clean start on fresh hardware

Arne,

thanks - sounds indeed a bit much to handle. Especially if those errors are not easily detectable. I had in mind that under System -> Hardware stuff would just show up as not recognized after the initial boot and I could install the drivers from ASUS in order to get everything up and running. But of course I admit: I would have to delete old drivers which cause issues ... should not really be running, but I am the last person to say that there are no auto-runs or services etc. which are not using outdated .dlls and drivers at that point in time. Those would not be easily detectable I guess.

I am warming up more and more to the idea of a fresh install. I may just try the move first and if it really is too cumbersome then I will just get a new M.2 or so, and install Win on that.

Thanks everyone for the replies - much appreciated !

Woelund

Woelund wrote:

I am warming up more and more to the idea of a fresh install. I may just try the move first and if it really is too cumbersome then I will just get a new M.2 or so, and install Win on that.

Trust me. You'll be saving yourself from a lot of future headaches. 🙂

Praz
Level 13
Hello

If reusing the configured operating system is a must image and restore with a backup utility that has the capability of restoring to dissimilar hardware. It will restore while stripping out all the HAL related data allowing for what is basically a fresh install to the new platform.

Hi Praz,

thanks - that is actually a very good tip. I have seen those image creation tools with "restore to different h/w" and incidentally I have to work with image creation / installation at my job, so that would actually be a real option.

In the meantime though I came to the conclusion that I will probably go with a new install. I made an overview over what I would actually have to do after a fresh installation and it actually is not as bad as I thought. I will create a complete checklist based on my current system, then do the upgrade I plan (board, processor, RAM, cooling and Graphics card) including the OS re-installation and then use the checklist to re-create all necessary function. Should be ok, I think.

But thanks for the very good point !

Woelund