Pailong
Level 7
Hi guys,

Just completed a new build, first time in 9 years:

i7 7700K
Maximus IX Hero
Asus GTX 1080 OC edition
Corsair H115i AIO cooler
Corsair 32GB DDR4 3000mhz ram (2x16gb sticks)

Booted up the computer, it runs straight into bios first time no problems. I tried setting XMP and choosing the 3000mhz speed (changing from default 2133mhz) and save it but the system wont post. Cleared cmos and tried other tweak profiles but still doesn't work.

I'm completely new to overclocking and never done it before - can anyone hep and advise please?

Does the CPU need to be overclocked for the ram to run at 3000mhz? I'm guessing I can't just try to overclock the ram independently of the CPU for 3000mhz?*
15 REPLIES 15

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hi,

What Q-Code is displayed on the motherboard LED after attempting to POST with XMP enabled?

You can try both tweak modes from within the Maximus Tweak menu under DRAM Timing Control.

Try also setting a manual VCCIO and VCCSA voltage of 1.2v
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
Hi,

What Q-Code is displayed on the motherboard LED after attempting to POST with XMP enabled?

You can try both tweak modes from within the Maximus Tweak menu under DRAM Timing Control.

Try also setting a manual VCCIO and VCCSA voltage of 1.2v

It was displaying code 01 and 03.

I just tried your suggestion of VCCIO and VCCSA of 1.2v each and it worked! Bios booted up fine, registering as 3000mhz ram! Thanks so much!

Can I ask - is 1.2v standard for this speed? Is it a good voltage for long term use? I'm still trying to learn more about OC'ing and understand this.*

Pailong wrote:
It was displaying code 01 and 03.

I just tried your suggestion of VCCIO and VCCSA of 1.2v each and it worked! Bios booted up fine, registering as 3000mhz ram! Thanks so much!

Can I ask - is 1.2v standard for this speed? Is it a good voltage for long term use? I'm still trying to learn more about OC'ing and understand this.*

Yes 1.2 is fine, make sure to run the appropriate stress tests
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

brkkab123
Level 7
Just select XMP & press F10 to save and exit the UEFI. You don't need to select 3000 or anything else.

brkkab123
Level 7
Also, make sure your ram is in the 2nd and fourth slot away from the cpu, not the first & third slots.

brkkab123 wrote:
Also, make sure your ram is in the 2nd and fourth slot away from the cpu, not the first & third slots.

I'm using the first and third slot. Why shouldn't I be using these two slots?

Johan45
Level 7
Because slots 2 and 4 are recommended when using dual channel. Just see the manual

So I've actually left my ram to run at default 2133mhz for the last few weeks and thought I'd give it a go at running it at 3000mhz again (using your voltage settings as suggested) but this time, when I went into bios and selected XMP and it automatically chose 3000mhz setting, I didn't have to manually set VCCIO or VCCSA to 1.2v, everything was set automatically by the XMP profile and the main thing that I saw the XMP profile set was that it changed the DRAM voltage to 1.35v - everything boots up fine and runs fine.

However, I noticed that in cpu-z, HWMonitor and Asus AI Suite, it shows my cpu core clock speed as 4400mhz - does this mean my cpu is running at 4.4ghz? My cpu is i7700k 4.2ghz and I haven't done anything to overclock it. When I check the bios settings, it still says 4.2ghz but all the other software shows 4400mhz. Then when I reset the ram back to 2133mhz, cpu-z, HWMonitor and AI Suite then reads the clock speed as 4500mhz - is AI Suite or something overclocking my cpu automatically? I noticed in the bios it says something like LN2 mode and the target speed is 4500mhz but it says it is not enabled.

So basically:

DDR4 @ 2133mhz default = cpu-z, HWMonitor and Asus AI Suite showing core clock speed at 4500mhz
DDR4 @ 3000mhz XMP profile = cpu-z, HWMonitor and ASUS AI suite showing core clock speed at 4400mhz

So when I run the DDR4 ram at the higher speed (3000mhz), all the software reads my cpu core speed at 100mhz lower (4400mhz). With both settings, the bios always reads as 4.2ghz, and shows my cpu as 4200mhz (default speed for the i7700k). Can anyone enlighten me on this? I'm quite confused.