Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 16 of 16
  1. #11
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    When all 4 cores are loaded, they will run at 4.4GHz.
    Is that a default thing with kaby lake or is that my Asus Ai Suite automatically overclocking it?

    It is running at 4.4ghz with my DDR4 ram set to 3000mhz.
    When my DDR4 is set to 2133mhz default, my Asus Ai Suite is showing my CPU core speed as 4.5ghz.

    Is the Ai Suite doing all this automatically? I'm quite confused.

  2. #12
    ROG Guru: Grand Master Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Reputation
    339
    Posts
    15,255

    That's the default turbo frequency. There's a setting in the BIOS called ASUS Multicore Enhancement that overrides Intel's rules and run all 4 cores at 4.5GHz.

  3. #13
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    That's the default turbo frequency. There's a setting in the BIOS called ASUS Multicore Enhancement that overrides Intel's rules and run all 4 cores at 4.5GHz.
    Oh I see. So it's coming from the motherboard settings. Thanks for clearing that up.

    If I disable the multicore enhancement, does that disable the turbo frequency and just keeps it at 4.2ghz under load? Or does it just simply disable the feature that syncs all cores together when doing turbo?

    Is there any reason why I should disable turbo? Any pros and cons?

  4. #14
    ROG Member Array Saeva_Veritas PC Specs
    Saeva_Veritas PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus VIII Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-6700K @ 4.7GHz
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance RGB 3466MHz 16GB
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1080 SC @ 2100Mhz
    Sound CardASUS Xonar Essence STX II
    MonitorDell S2716DG 27" 1440p 144Hz G-sync
    Storage #1Samsung 850 Pro 256GB x2 in RAID 0
    Storage #2Seagate Baracuda 2TB Mass Storage
    CPU CoolerCryorig H7 Quad Lumi
    CaseCorsair Carbide Series Air 240
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime 650W 80 Plus Titanium
    Keyboard Corsair K70 Red
    Mouse Logitech MX Master
    Mouse Pad Generic
    Headset/Speakers Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Speakers
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterASUS RT-ACRH13
    Saeva_Veritas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Pailong View Post
    Oh I see. So it's coming from the motherboard settings. Thanks for clearing that up.

    If I disable the multicore enhancement, does that disable the turbo frequency and just keeps it at 4.2ghz under load? Or does it just simply disable the feature that syncs all cores together when doing turbo?

    Is there any reason why I should disable turbo? Any pros and cons?
    Disabling multicore enhancement and the turboing rules will follow Intel's which is that only one core will turbo to 4.5GHz under load while the others will only turbo to 4.3-4.4GHz under load. Intel's advertised turbo frequencies only apply to one core at a time.

    There really is little to no reason to disable turbo. The CPU will auto-OC the cores when under heavy load with turbo enabled but disabling turbo will have the cores run at 4.2GHz (the base frequency) only when under load. The only possible con of having turbo enabled that I can think of is higher power consumption and heat output but I can't imagine it being that bad.

  5. #15
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Saeva_Veritas View Post
    Disabling multicore enhancement and the turboing rules will follow Intel's which is that only one core will turbo to 4.5GHz under load while the others will only turbo to 4.3-4.4GHz under load. Intel's advertised turbo frequencies only apply to one core at a time.

    There really is little to no reason to disable turbo. The CPU will auto-OC the cores when under heavy load with turbo enabled but disabling turbo will have the cores run at 4.2GHz (the base frequency) only when under load. The only possible con of having turbo enabled that I can think of is higher power consumption and heat output but I can't imagine it being that bad.
    I understand. Thanks very much for explaining! Much appreciated. I'll leave everything as it is then.

    One thing I'm curious about is that you say the default turbo boost is from 4.2GHz (base frequency for i7700K) to 4.5Ghz. When I use XMP profile and set my DDR4 ram to 3000mhz, the turbo boost only goes up to 4.4GHz. Is there any reason why, when running 3000mhz ram, the maximum turbo boost drops 100mhz?

  6. #16
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Pailong View Post
    I understand. Thanks very much for explaining! Much appreciated. I'll leave everything as it is then.

    One thing I'm curious about is that you say the default turbo boost is from 4.2GHz (base frequency for i7700K) to 4.5Ghz. When I use XMP profile and set my DDR4 ram to 3000mhz, the turbo boost only goes up to 4.4GHz. Is there any reason why, when running 3000mhz ram, the maximum turbo boost drops 100mhz?
    I figured out why it was only going up to 4.4GHz and not 4.5Ghz for the turbo boost when enabling XMP for my DDR4 ram - I realised that when I had set it to XMP, the bios asks me if I "would like to enable all core enhancement with the XMP profile" and I selected NO, aka it was going back to Intel stock turbo boost settings. I reset the XMP and chose YES this time aka going with the Asus multicore enhancement with XMP, now my turbo boost is hitting 4.5GHz!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •