cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU drops to 1-2% usage while rendering in Premiere Pro CC 2017

Alexauwa
Level 7
I got my 6850K stable will realbench, Prime etc on 4.4 GHz.

I am only doing video editing and motion design in After Effects. All pretty heavy CPU processes. I never had a problem editing my projects so far until I rendered a major project with Premiere Pro CC 2017. After 30% rendering of my project my CPU drops down to 1-2% CPU usage but keeps the rendering running which ofc will then take ages. My CPU does not shut down or show any other errors like I am used to when having wrong overclocking settings.

I am now wondering if that's a sign of instability or software related since Adobe CC is very buggy.

I seemed to have fixed it when putting AVX offet to 1. Watching the cpu usage while rendering I can see that i occassionally drops down to 4,3 Ghz. Would raising the core voltage be the only why to get it stable if that failure would be overclocking related?

Any advises? Thank you!
6 REPLIES 6

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
You'll have to look at temperature as a factor too how long is the render and what cooling do you have? Is the VRM actively cooled?

But yes, maybe the OC is failing this test and you'd need to look at increasing CPU voltage...or as you have done in effect with AVX offset...lowering clocks at same voltage.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
You'll have to look at temperature as a factor too how long is the render and what cooling do you have? Is the VRM actively cooled?

Thanks, Arne.

The render process has only been active for 5 min. Temps are totally fine around 50s not nearly hitting max like in Prime95.

By VRM you mean memory? I have 64 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 which are simply cooled by 4 case fans airflow. They run at 2.800 MHz. Honestly, I don't know how to check their temps.

*Personally, I'd really like to run the 4,4 GHz constantly. Might lower the GPU overclock help stabilize CPU?

First of all, we need to know a lot more from your setup (not only your processor), i.e. how much RAM, SSD or HDD, Raid or no-Raid, cooling (most important) and the Premiere project itself (what are you doing, are filters used etc.). Do you use GPU-Acceleration in Premiere? Also interesting, would be your overclocking settings i.e. voltage, ram-speed etc.

Adobe CC is not very buggy, it is just not well optimized for multi-cpu rendering. Many tasks in Premiere are single threaded only, i.e. stabilizing footage, most of the filters etc. , so it can be normal that CPU load drops to 1-2%. Another reason could be slow harddisks, not enough RAM etc.

You could try to render the project without overclocking and take a close look at how the CPU behaves then. Raising the voltage will generate more heat and if you dont have proper cooling, it will likely getting worse and not better.

As you see, there are a lot factors, why your CPU drops to 1-2% and we need way more info, if you want good advices.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
VRM is the voltage regulation at top of board...has a heat sink on it...wise to actively cool this if you are OCing...if it heats up it might throttle but I'm not sure this is the case with your setup...does sound like something is kind of crashing out.

Just raise vcore a bit and see if that is the remedy?

However yes, all OCs will add stress to the CPU so maybe run GPU at stock to check...see what is knocking over the Adobe program

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
VRM is the voltage regulation at top of board...has a heat sink on it...wise to actively cool this if you are OCing...

I will check temps on HWmonitor. What is max temp for VRM?*

I run a Asus X99-A II which is think is got quite good cooling.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Not sure what temp it throttles at...just make sure it's not headed north of 50 degrees for example...should be 40s for a stress test if it has adequate ventilation...

I also don't think throttling will drop to 1-2% so probably not that...