cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OC'ing ROG Strix GTX 1080 O8G gaming

Sverre
Level 9
Rampage V Extreme

I get it to 1968 (GPU) and 10980 (RAM), but the temp on the GPU never exceeds 41C. Why can't I squeeze more out of the card?

I'm running GPU Tweak II v. 1.2.2.9.

GPU Boost +70 (1968)
GPU Voltage +100 (100)
Memory Clock +970 (10980)

Max Temp ever recorded with 3DMark Fire Strike and Unigine Heaven is 41C. Not even a spike over. The temp on the water hardly increases from standby (maybe 2C higher). Temp in to radiator is around 27.5C, out 29.5C at standby. When running benchmarks I get it up to 29.5C/31.5C at a max.

I don't get it, every card I've had before this 590 and 690 has easily gone high in temp. And with such a low temp, what is it that prevents the card from running at a higher speed?

My CPU (5960x) runs stable at 4.5GHz and the memory (Dominator Platinum CMD16GX4M4B3200C15) on 2666MHz (not sure how to OC it yet).
[/URL]
9 REPLIES 9

Nate152
Hi Sverre

Try increasing the power target to the max too.

Pascal is more efficient than previous gpu's, the gtx 1080 draws 180w max compared to 250w - 300w which is why temps are lower.

Overclocking varies from gpu to gpu, some will overclock better than others and is the luck of the draw.

Chino has a guide that may help you.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?87087-Overclocking-the-Strix-GTX-1080

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Sverre

Try increasing the power target to the max too.

Pascal is more efficient than previous gpu's, the gtx 1080 draws 180w max compared to 250w - 300w which is why temps are lower.

Overclocking varies from gpu to gpu, some will overclock better than others and is the luck of the draw.

Chino has a guide that may help you.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?87087-Overclocking-the-Strix-GTX-1080

I set it to max before I started, same with Power Target and GPU Temp.

I read the guide, which sadly isn't much to talk about.

In Unigine Valley I can overclock to 2168MHz, but not in 3D Mark Fire Strike (2126MHz). Any reason? Isn't Valley one of the hardest graphics tests available? Does 3D Mark Fire Strik use the CPU, even in the 2 graphics tests, so that an unstable CPU (4x4.7 and 4x4.6GHz on a 5960 makes it a little unstable) might crash the program, even in the graphics tests?

What is it that "stops" the overclocking? If not the temp there has to be some instability issues that will occur at higher frequencies, can these be compensated for with a voltage, as it is done with CPU's (Core voltage)?
[/URL]

Sverre wrote:

In Unigine Valley I can overclock to 2168MHz, but not in 3D Mark Fire Strike (2126MHz). Any reason? Isn't Valley one of the hardest graphics tests available?

I find that Unigine Heaven is more stressful than Valley. 🙂

I've noticed that Pascal GPUs do not overclock too well. Still, they're pretty much efficient and powerful as it is. If you overclocked it even a bit, then I guess that is still a good performance gain.

Hi

I have another question regarding the O8G OC... I somehow can't change my power target in GPUTweak2... why is that so?

jab383
Level 13
The lower voltage range of the current crop of GPUs seems to limit the overclocking. There are a few software tools that can raise GPU voltage a lot, but they don't do much good. Max clock in a given benchmark stays about the same.

A higher power target will reduce drooping of voltage and clocks during a benchmark run, so it's a good thing to do when cooling can handle it.

The lore is that temperature has a greater effect on Pascal overclocking than GPU voltage. 41C is great for ambient water cooling - quite a good waterblock installation. What TIM? The competitive overclockers getting the real high scores are using active cooling - chiller, phase change or LN2.

JustinThyme
Level 13
I cant speak for the 08G but comparing it to an A8G it should actuallt get better clocks. Im running a pair of A8Gs at 1972/1315 stable as a rock. I cant get it any further because of the power limit being 120%. Thats the only thing holding me back. Ive been contemplating using a modded Vbios to remove the power limit as Ive gone water cooling with them.
But I do run the slider to max on volts and power.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Agente_Silva
Level 9
Hi there...

Regarding OP´s question, have you checked the Overclocking Range option in GPU Tweak II? It basically removes any OC ceiling for core and memory clocks 😛