cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Plastics should I use for 3D printing?

mohawkpod
Level 7
Hi,

I plan on printing the following:
- IO cover for z170 pro gaming aura
- 24 Pin cablecomb
- A fan grill (my custom design)

It would be good if I could print these parts using PLA plastic. High temperature resistant PLA is also alright but I haven't got any currently. I will be spray painting these parts blue to match my theme, so that should add some heat resistance?

Would a form of PLA be suitable for my use or would I have to use something else?

Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7

warbosschoppa
Level 7
mohawkpod wrote:
Hi,

I plan on printing the following:
- IO cover for z170 pro gaming aura
- 24 Pin cablecomb
- A fan grill (my custom design)

It would be good if I could print these parts using PLA plastic. High temperature resistant PLA is also alright but I haven't got any currently. I will be spray painting these parts blue to match my theme, so that should add some heat resistance?

Would a form of PLA be suitable for my use or would I have to use something else?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know personally but let me know how the IO cover comes out, I am very interested in paying for someone to 3D print one out for me. I don't have a printer and I've been looking for someone who could do it. But it looks like at 65C the PLA would hit a GTT (glass transition temp) and get soft so perhaps get some high temp PLA. This is coming from my friend who is a plastics engineer.

warbosschoppa wrote:
I don't know personally but let me know how the IO cover comes out, I am very interested in paying for someone to 3D print one out for me. I don't have a printer and I've been looking for someone who could do it. But it looks like at 65C the PLA would hit a GTT (glass transition temp) and get soft so perhaps get some high temp PLA. This is coming from my friend who is a plastics engineer.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if you were asking me if I could 3D print it for you. But anyways, it could be a possibility. My printer is a Balco 3D Printer, which is a rebrand of the Wanhao Duplicator i3 v2.1. It can print PLA and ABS at 100 microns. I live in Brunswick area, let me know if you are interested.

I will be printing the IO cover within the next 2 days and I'll post pictures of it when it's done. I am going to print it in normal PLA and place it on my GPU backplate and play some Battlefield and see if it gets soft at all, as it gets pretty hot on the backplate. I don't think that the IO will get close to 65 degrees though, so I think it should be alright in normal PLA. If not, I will have to buy the expensive high temperature PLA.

Thanks for asking, You may visit http://3dinsider.com/3d-printing-filaments/ to know about 3D printing filaments. Here you can find all information about printing guide and printing material.

Dont have personal experience but sharing some information that i have , Printing the IO cover, 24 pin cable comb, and fan grill using PLA plastic should be suitable for your intended use, assuming that the parts are not exposed to excessive heat or stress. PLA is a popular and relatively easy to print filament that is widely used in 3D printing. It is strong enough for most purposes, and it can also be sanded and painted easily, which makes it a good choice for finishing and customization.

While PLA does have some heat resistance, it is not as heat resistant as some other filaments, such as ABS or PETG. If you plan on using the parts in a high-temperature environment, you may want to consider using a more heat-resistant filament, such as high-temperature PLA, PETG, or ABS. However, if the parts are not exposed to extreme heat, regular PLA should be sufficient.

In terms of painting the parts, spray painting them with a heat-resistant paint can increase their heat resistance. However, the paint alone may not provide enough protection for the parts if they are exposed to high temperatures for prolonged periods of time.

Overall, printing your parts using PLA should be suitable for your intended use as you can read the detailss here. However, if you have concerns about heat resistance, you may want to consider using a more heat-resistant filament or adding additional heat protection to the parts.

Jimbo93
Level 12

fk3gmail
Level 7

hi sir i need some help in 3d printing facing  some issues

fk3gmail
Level 7

I've recently rekindled my interest in train-related projects after completing a few work-related prints. Currently, I'm immersed in the world of trains again and have embarked on the task of 3D printing six inspection pits. These pits will play a crucial role in the construction of a new roundhouse, adding a fascinating dimension to my printing endeavors. Considering the intricate design, I've optimized the infill settings to ensure both structural integrity and printing efficiency. It's a delightful convergence of personal passion and practical application as I contribute to the intricate details of a miniature railway world. The rhythmic hum of the printer has become a familiar backdrop, signaling the tangible progress of each inspection pit taking shape layer by layer. This project serves as a testament to the versatile and creative applications of 3D printing, merging my hobby with real-world utility.