Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero Z270 motherboard reviews/ problems?

My ASUS Z170-Pro came as a lemon, exhibiting some issues, was a real pain to troubleshoot and it took over 2 months.
    Looking to straight up get a replacement now.

Owners of the Maximus IX Hero, Pros? Any Cons?

I'm running a i7 6700k with it, and I'm honestly looking for reliability. It was either ASUS, Gigabyte or MSI and all the reviews are still sliding towards ASUS. I'm willing to try again. I'm mainly a bit worried about new tech, new tech is bound to have problems, I know some of the new Maximus boards had issues with the audio drivers. Hence why I usually wait a few months after release, but I don't see a point in getting Z170 at this point.

Thank you!

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Can't speak for the Hero but I have the Formula and it's been performing pretty darn good.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array MrAgapiGC PC Specs
    MrAgapiGC PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus XI Code
    Processor9900K
    Memory (part number)CMK32GX4M4B3600C18
    Graphics Card #1STRIX-GTX1080ti-O8G-GAMING
    MonitorAOC AGON AG2701QX (2)
    Storage #1Samsung 960 EVO 256GB
    Storage #2Kingston Savage 500GB
    CPU CoolerNzxt X74 360mm AIO
    CaseNzxt H700
    Power SupplyEVGA 850 G2
    Keyboard Logitech G810
    Mouse Asus Spartha
    Headset Hyper X Cloud Revolver S
    Mouse Pad Hyper X Fury S 900mx420mm
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z337
    OS Windows 10 64btis
    Network RouterTpLink Archer C9
    Accessory #1 EKWB FANs all of them

Hi. I did the same configuration and no problems. what is the problem with eh audio drivers?.

Please note, that in order to use the 6700K on that Motherboard, first use 0701 bios. Make sure that Bios is running stable. use manual configuration use basic configuration the 6700K runns a little hot since use more vcore. is not like the 7700k that by default use low vcore. so uses almost very same configuration as z170. Even that is 6th gen backward has to be perfect and skylake will not work the same as kabylake so forget 5.0.

Windows 10. Make a clean install. ULTA IMPORTANT. I use my z170 ssd and give problems. download the last windows 10 from the MS website, so all most patch are there. Install the Intel Management Engine Interface *ver.11.6.0.1026 and Intel Chipset Software Instalation Utility 10.1.1.38 do not skip that. restart. then install *Realtek high definition Audio WHQL 6.0.1.7997 and all done. all without internet. Windows 10 is a pain it force to install their programs. Once all those are in you are good to go plug the internet and start making the rest of the updates etc

*The aura software 1,04,29 I will skip that since you need to install the last bios. I am still need to test that, but I will wait until my strips *are here to make that jump.***

Try that!!! I was worry also that my 6700k or mobo etc where defective but all went well and I am super impress that all Is working I will try other apps during these days to try since I heard that some of the features are nice. It will the great that Asus expand some of the tutorials that are appearing on the Asus website. like how to make a oc. instalación etc. that will be nice.*
    I hope that what I add helps you in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooohah View Post
    My ASUS Z170-Pro came as a lemon, exhibiting some issues, was a real pain to troubleshoot and it took over 2 months.
    Looking to straight up get a replacement now.

Owners of the Maximus IX Hero, Pros? Any Cons?

I'm running a i7 6700k with it, and I'm honestly looking for reliability. It was either ASUS, Gigabyte or MSI and all the reviews are still sliding towards ASUS. I'm willing to try again. I'm mainly a bit worried about new tech, new tech is bound to have problems, I know some of the new Maximus boards had issues with the audio drivers. Hence why I usually wait a few months after release, but I don't see a point in getting Z170 at this point.

Thank you!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Asus motherboards have been known to have some issues post launch. But, I applaud the company for releasing BIOSes that aim to fix them. Just wait for a BIOS update and see if it fixes your problem.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Itzycharles View Post
    Hi. I did the same configuration and no problems. what is the problem with eh audio drivers?.

Please note, that in order to use the 6700K on that Motherboard, first use 0701 bios. Make sure that Bios is running stable. use manual configuration use basic configuration the 6700K runns a little hot since use more vcore. is not like the 7700k that by default use low vcore. so uses almost very same configuration as z170. Even that is 6th gen backward has to be perfect and skylake will not work the same as kabylake so forget 5.0.

Windows 10. Make a clean install. ULTA IMPORTANT. I use my z170 ssd and give problems. download the last windows 10 from the MS website, so all most patch are there. Install the Intel Management Engine Interface *ver.11.6.0.1026 and Intel Chipset Software Instalation Utility 10.1.1.38 do not skip that. restart. then install *Realtek high definition Audio WHQL 6.0.1.7997 and all done. all without internet. Windows 10 is a pain it force to install their programs. Once all those are in you are good to go plug the internet and start making the rest of the updates etc

*The aura software 1,04,29 I will skip that since you need to install the last bios. I am still need to test that, but I will wait until my strips *are here to make that jump.***

Try that!!! I was worry also that my 6700k or mobo etc where defective but all went well and I am super impress that all Is working I will try other apps during these days to try since I heard that some of the features are nice. It will the great that Asus expand some of the tutorials that are appearing on the Asus website. like how to make a oc. instalación etc. that will be nice.*
    I hope that what I add helps you in any way.

Are you referencing the Maximus or the Z170 pro? I'm having some issues on my ASUS Z170 pro right now

But on the Maximus, which do I need to change to manual or basic? The BIOS? And whats the 5.0 you referenced?

But basically with the 6700k + Maximus IX Hero, I need to adjust something because it applies the Vcore of the i7 7700k and therefore will make my 6700k run hot?

ROG Member Array

I'm actually considering just getting another Z170, I'm really worried about compatibility/ launch issues.

I just want a RELIABLE stable system that I can boot up and have work, not worry about any issues regularly

ROG Member Array MikeS3000 PC Specs
    MikeS3000 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Hero
    Processori7 7700k @ 5.0 Ghz 1.335v
    Memory (part number)8x2 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 Mhz CAS 16
    Graphics Card #1ROG STRIX-GTX1080-A8G-GAMING 1976 Boost 11200 Memory
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
    Storage #2ADATA SX900 256GB
    CPU CoolerWD Caviar Black 1TB
    CaseCorsair Crystal 460X
    Power SupplySeasonic 660w Platinum
    Keyboard Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse Logitech MX518
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC88U

I've been running this motherboard with a 7700k since launch day with 0 problems. I flahed bios 0801 which just came out about a week ago and it seems just as stable as 0701. I can't think of any issues with the board. It has overclocked all of my components really well. No audio issues to speak of. Unless you need even more features then the Hero is a great entry-level (if you can call it that) Z270 ROG board.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Darren Stevens PC Specs
    Darren Stevens PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel Core i9 7980XE
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG Poseidon GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Platinum 11GB
    Graphics Card #2ASUS ROG Poseidon GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Platinum 11GB
    MonitorASUS PG348Q ROG Swift 34in 100Hz G-Sync IPS Gaming Monitor
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD
    Storage #2Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD
    CPU CoolerEK-FB ASUS ROG R6E RGB Monoblock - Nickel
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite Satin Black
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i Digital ATX Modular
    Keyboard ASUS ROG GK2000 Horus RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse ASUS ROG Spatha Wireless Laser Gaming Mouse
    Headset ASUS ROG Cerberus Gaming Headset
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath Gaming Surface
    Headset/Speakers ASUS ROG Centurion True 7.1 Gaming Headset
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64 bit UEFI Install
    Network RouterASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 Wireless Triband Router
    Accessory #1 Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD
    Accessory #2 ASUS ROG SLI HB Bridge - 4 Slot

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0181.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	984.5 KB 
ID:	62919Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0181.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	984.5 KB 
ID:	62919 Built a system couple of weeks ago using the Maximus IX Hero MB, & it hasn't missed a beat, super easy raid setup & overclock, super stable, cant fault it, highly recommended.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array chevell65 PC Specs
    chevell65 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Strix Z370-H, ROG Maximus VII Z97
    ProcessorIntel 4790K 4.6GHz, Intel i5 8400, Intel e8600 Wolfdale, Intel Q9650 Yorkfield, Intel E6750 Conroe
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill PC3600
    Graphics Card #1GTX 660 OC
    MonitorAsus 23"
    CaseCorsair clear case
    Power SupplyThermaltake
    Keyboard Logitech G15
    Mouse Logitech G9
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterDLink DIR-655, Asus AC88

Memory compatibility issues are complained about fairly often with Z270. I've read all the reviews. GSkill makes some RGB type ddr4 memory specifically for the Z270.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by chevell65 View Post
    Memory compatibility issues are complained about fairly often with Z270. I've read all the reviews. GSkill makes some RGB type ddr4 memory specifically for the Z270.
    Yeah... I heard :/
    Although, I looked at the QVL on the board and my specific memory, down to the model number is on there. So... I should be ok haha.
    Gskill TridentZ 3200mhz (White/ silver) 2x8GB Cas latency of 16

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast