cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero Z270 motherboard reviews/ problems?

Wooohah
Level 7
My ASUS Z170-Pro came as a lemon, exhibiting some issues, was a real pain to troubleshoot and it took over 2 months.
Looking to straight up get a replacement now.

Owners of the Maximus IX Hero, Pros? Any Cons?

I'm running a i7 6700k with it, and I'm honestly looking for reliability. It was either ASUS, Gigabyte or MSI and all the reviews are still sliding towards ASUS. I'm willing to try again. I'm mainly a bit worried about new tech, new tech is bound to have problems, I know some of the new Maximus boards had issues with the audio drivers. Hence why I usually wait a few months after release, but I don't see a point in getting Z170 at this point.

Thank you!
14 REPLIES 14

Chino
Level 15

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
Hi. I did the same configuration and no problems. what is the problem with eh audio drivers?.

Please note, that in order to use the 6700K on that Motherboard, first use 0701 bios. Make sure that Bios is running stable. use manual configuration use basic configuration the 6700K runns a little hot since use more vcore. is not like the 7700k that by default use low vcore. so uses almost very same configuration as z170. Even that is 6th gen backward has to be perfect and skylake will not work the same as kabylake so forget 5.0.

Windows 10. Make a clean install. ULTA IMPORTANT. I use my z170 ssd and give problems. download the last windows 10 from the MS website, so all most patch are there. Install the Intel Management Engine Interface *ver.11.6.0.1026 and Intel Chipset Software Instalation Utility 10.1.1.38 do not skip that. restart. then install *Realtek high definition Audio WHQL 6.0.1.7997 and all done. all without internet. Windows 10 is a pain it force to install their programs. Once all those are in you are good to go plug the internet and start making the rest of the updates etc

*The aura software 1,04,29 I will skip that since you need to install the last bios. I am still need to test that, but I will wait until my strips *are here to make that jump.***

Try that!!! I was worry also that my 6700k or mobo etc where defective but all went well and I am super impress that all Is working I will try other apps during these days to try since I heard that some of the features are nice. It will the great that Asus expand some of the tutorials that are appearing on the Asus website. like how to make a oc. instalación etc. that will be nice.*
I hope that what I add helps you in any way.

Wooohah wrote:
My ASUS Z170-Pro came as a lemon, exhibiting some issues, was a real pain to troubleshoot and it took over 2 months.
Looking to straight up get a replacement now.

Owners of the Maximus IX Hero, Pros? Any Cons?

I'm running a i7 6700k with it, and I'm honestly looking for reliability. It was either ASUS, Gigabyte or MSI and all the reviews are still sliding towards ASUS. I'm willing to try again. I'm mainly a bit worried about new tech, new tech is bound to have problems, I know some of the new Maximus boards had issues with the audio drivers. Hence why I usually wait a few months after release, but I don't see a point in getting Z170 at this point.

Thank you!
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Asus motherboards have been known to have some issues post launch. But, I applaud the company for releasing BIOSes that aim to fix them. Just wait for a BIOS update and see if it fixes your problem.:)

Itzycharles wrote:
Hi. I did the same configuration and no problems. what is the problem with eh audio drivers?.

Please note, that in order to use the 6700K on that Motherboard, first use 0701 bios. Make sure that Bios is running stable. use manual configuration use basic configuration the 6700K runns a little hot since use more vcore. is not like the 7700k that by default use low vcore. so uses almost very same configuration as z170. Even that is 6th gen backward has to be perfect and skylake will not work the same as kabylake so forget 5.0.

Windows 10. Make a clean install. ULTA IMPORTANT. I use my z170 ssd and give problems. download the last windows 10 from the MS website, so all most patch are there. Install the Intel Management Engine Interface *ver.11.6.0.1026 and Intel Chipset Software Instalation Utility 10.1.1.38 do not skip that. restart. then install *Realtek high definition Audio WHQL 6.0.1.7997 and all done. all without internet. Windows 10 is a pain it force to install their programs. Once all those are in you are good to go plug the internet and start making the rest of the updates etc

*The aura software 1,04,29 I will skip that since you need to install the last bios. I am still need to test that, but I will wait until my strips *are here to make that jump.***

Try that!!! I was worry also that my 6700k or mobo etc where defective but all went well and I am super impress that all Is working I will try other apps during these days to try since I heard that some of the features are nice. It will the great that Asus expand some of the tutorials that are appearing on the Asus website. like how to make a oc. instalación etc. that will be nice.*
I hope that what I add helps you in any way.

Are you referencing the Maximus or the Z170 pro? I'm having some issues on my ASUS Z170 pro right now 😞

But on the Maximus, which do I need to change to manual or basic? The BIOS? And whats the 5.0 you referenced?

But basically with the 6700k + Maximus IX Hero, I need to adjust something because it applies the Vcore of the i7 7700k and therefore will make my 6700k run hot?

I'm actually considering just getting another Z170, I'm really worried about compatibility/ launch issues.

I just want a RELIABLE stable system that I can boot up and have work, not worry about any issues regularly 😞

I've been running this motherboard with a 7700k since launch day with 0 problems. I flahed bios 0801 which just came out about a week ago and it seems just as stable as 0701. I can't think of any issues with the board. It has overclocked all of my components really well. No audio issues to speak of. Unless you need even more features then the Hero is a great entry-level (if you can call it that) Z270 ROG board.

6291962919 Built a system couple of weeks ago using the Maximus IX Hero MB, & it hasn't missed a beat, super easy raid setup & overclock, super stable, cant fault it, highly recommended.

chevell65
Level 12
Memory compatibility issues are complained about fairly often with Z270. I've read all the reviews. GSkill makes some RGB type ddr4 memory specifically for the Z270.

chevell65 wrote:
Memory compatibility issues are complained about fairly often with Z270. I've read all the reviews. GSkill makes some RGB type ddr4 memory specifically for the Z270.

Yeah... I heard 😕
Although, I looked at the QVL on the board and my specific memory, down to the model number is on there. So... I should be ok haha.
Gskill TridentZ 3200mhz (White/ silver) 2x8GB Cas latency of 16