Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    8

    Strix X99 die after BIOS update 1401

    Hello,

    First post here, hope to get any help, sorry for any english mistakes.

    I got a Strix X99 and build my rig this week, first i just build with the basic, a HX750i PSU, M.2 960EVO, i7 6900k and a Gigabyte 1080.

    When i fist power the system, i notice that was a problem to boot, like a bad OC was made, i put everything on default and nothing, them i use the EZ Tune from the BIOS and the system was ok, install win10, drivers etc... Them i update the BIOS to the 1401 from the EZ update inside win10, the install was fine, PC restarted, message on the post, them i go to the BIOS and made the same steps before, EZ Tune, select the options and exit save, them the motherboard don't boot, nothing, just QCode 00, and restart after 10 seconds maybe, so i try to remove stuff, RAM, VGA and even CPU in the end, i clear the CMOS, made a BIOS FLASHBACK to the original 0401, nothing... Them things start to get really strange, with the CPU installed, the mobo was blinking, on and off each 1 seconds or less, i could hear the PSU sound turning ON and OFF, but i could not know if the OCP was acting.

    Without the CPU the mobo just turn on and off, with the CPU is that show.

    So, i ask here because the RMA will take some time, i learn today that Asus do not touch any product here (i am from Brasil), so i have to deal direct with the shop (terrible support from Asus...), and in this time i take any suggestion, in special for any other mobo (no Asus), i think the shop don't have the strix x99 anymore, so i may end buying a new one.

    I just hope that my CPU don't got fried on this process.

    Thanks a lot for any feedback.

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Phillyflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    30
    Posts
    536

    Quote Originally Posted by ralfetas View Post
    Hello,

    First post here, hope to get any help, sorry for any english mistakes.

    I got a Strix X99 and build my rig this week, first i just build with the basic, a HX750i PSU, M.2 960EVO, i7 6900k and a Gigabyte 1080.

    When i fist power the system, i notice that was a problem to boot, like a bad OC was made, i put everything on default and nothing, them i use the EZ Tune from the BIOS and the system was ok, install win10, drivers etc... Them i update the BIOS to the 1401 from the EZ update inside win10, the install was fine, PC restarted, message on the post, them i go to the BIOS and made the same steps before, EZ Tune, select the options and exit save, them the motherboard don't boot, nothing, just QCode 00, and restart after 10 seconds maybe, so i try to remove stuff, RAM, VGA and even CPU in the end, i clear the CMOS, made a BIOS FLASHBACK to the original 0401, nothing... Them things start to get really strange, with the CPU installed, the mobo was blinking, on and off each 1 seconds or less, i could hear the PSU sound turning ON and OFF, but i could not know if the OCP was acting.

    Without the CPU the mobo just turn on and off, with the CPU is that show.

    So, i ask here because the RMA will take some time, i learn today that Asus do not touch any product here (i am from Brasil), so i have to deal direct with the shop (terrible support from Asus...), and in this time i take any suggestion, in special for any other mobo (no Asus), i think the shop don't have the strix x99 anymore, so i may end buying a new one.

    I just hope that my CPU don't got fried on this process.

    Thanks a lot for any feedback.
    Had same thing happen with X79 board....Tried everything as you did to resolve...Ended up RMA the 4930k....put new chip in....everything was fine...Hate to say..99.9% its the chip.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
    Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
    XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
    Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
    Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
    32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
    MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
    (5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
    (2) WD 1TB Black Edition
    Corsair 900 D

  3. #3
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Phillyflyer View Post
    Had same thing happen with X79 board....Tried everything as you did to resolve...Ended up RMA the 4930k....put new chip in....everything was fine...Hate to say..99.9% its the chip.
    Chip you say the CPU or the X79 chip? I will be happy if the problem is the CPU, intel support is amazing compared to Asus.

    I was thinking about that too, if the PSU is protecting the PC, maybe the problem could be the CPU indeed, and i read a lot about people having problems with those i7 extreme, more them usual...

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Phillyflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    30
    Posts
    536

    Quote Originally Posted by ralfetas View Post
    Chip you say the CPU or the X79 chip? I will be happy if the problem is the CPU, intel support is amazing compared to Asus.

    I was thinking about that too, if the PSU is protecting the PC, maybe the problem could be the CPU indeed, and i read a lot about people having problems with those i7 extreme, more them usual...

    RMA the CPU....99.9% that is the issue.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
    Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
    XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
    Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
    Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
    32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
    MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
    (5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
    (2) WD 1TB Black Edition
    Corsair 900 D

  5. #5
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Phillyflyer View Post
    RMA the CPU....99.9% that is the issue.
    Thanks a lot, already talk to Intel for a RMA, i think they are faster for RMA them the shop.

    I upload a video that i made when the problem shows.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFkNZIiYJ0I

    Indeed makes more sense to be the CPU... in special because without the CPU the mobo can turn on, no video of course, but fans etc work just fine.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •