cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X370 Froze while gaming and now won't boot

Reb00tas
Level 7
Hello. I played on my Asus Crosshair vi hero with my new risen 1800x..
After like 4-5 hours the system suddenly froze. Could not do anything. And holding down the power button didn't help. So I removed the power.
But now it won't boot. When i turn it on its writing Q-code 8 in the "left box" and nothing in the "right box". I tried with another graphic card, PSU, ram, removing the batteri. Everything. Its not going to go any further.

#ASUS help me out.

Thank you, Casper. **
6 REPLIES 6

NEOAethyr
Level 7
It would still help to post your specs, even though you said you have swapped parts.

When you say boot, you mean post right?
Can you get to the bios or not?
Unhook your drives to make sure that isn't an issue if you haven't already (make note of which cable is which if you're using raid).

Holding power on some boards, possibly yours as well does a sort of cmos clear (btw, use the reset for hardlocks 1st, not the power button).
But it's not as effective as using the clear cmos button on the back if you have one (or jumper lol).

If it won't boot, try a single stick of ram.
Try reinserting the cpu.
Try a bios flashback on a usb stick (if your board has this).

If it's none of the above, and your sure it's not faulty components, like your psu or vga, or even your mem.
Then it's possibly the cpu or motherboard.
In which case you're gonna have to try figuring out the error code (from the sounds of it, it's a glitched up error code...).
It would help to know what you were doing when it froze on you, for ex. you were running ibt/linx, prime or something on the cpu.
In that case it's likely the cpu is what is dead, or the pwm on the board.

Smell anything?, and marks on the cpu or board near the cpu?

I'm just throwing ideas out there, I don't have your board, and I'm not support.
But I do know support will ask for your specs and so on.

FuryA
Level 8
hi Reb
Try to keep Your memory modules work on 2133 make sure can boot successfully
and what is You BIOS version?

Reb00tas
Level 7
I found out when is press power on and it shows the 8 Q-Code. By pressing just a little bit on top of the cpu cooler then the system booted.. I tried a other cooler with its own mounting system same problem. So I dont know if there is a bad connection somewhere..*

Reb00tas wrote:
By pressing just a little bit on top of the cpu cooler then the system booted.. I tried a other cooler with its own mounting system same problem. So I dont know if there is a bad connection somewhere..*

What are the models of the coolers that you've tested? Sounds like uneven pressure during heatsink installation. Also try testing your system outside the case on top of the motherboard cardboard box.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Remove the CPU from the socket and relatch / re-attach the cooler.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090