Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

Quote Originally Posted by AMD_Guy View Post
    OMG. 64GB @3200 with 14/14/14/34 .. YES PLEASE !!
    Yes some nice RAM coming...

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Saknussemm View Post
    Yes some nice RAM coming...
    What's the point of the ram if ASUS is saying that AMD locked the frequencies out
    I just wonder what is the reasoning of this nanny state like attitude towards memory frequencies?
    OCing is not guarantied as well, yet we don't see hard locked multi at 40x? It is especially weird to see these hard locks on ROG motherboards.
    I bought Corsair 4000Mhz modules for Ryzen release. They did not even dropped a sweat when I clocked them to 3200Mhz. So clearly there is not much need to be waiting for AMD AMP coded modules to arrive. Though seeing RAM prices now I wouldn't blame anyone for waiting for better prices and more variation on RAM modules.

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by muziqaz View Post
    What's the point of the ram if ASUS is saying that AMD locked the frequencies out
    I just wonder what is the reasoning of this nanny state like attitude towards memory frequencies?
    OCing is not guarantied as well, yet we don't see hard locked multi at 40x? It is especially weird to see these hard locks on ROG motherboards.
    I bought Corsair 4000Mhz modules for Ryzen release. They did not even dropped a sweat when I clocked them to 3200Mhz. So clearly there is not much need to be waiting for AMD AMP coded modules to arrive. Though seeing RAM prices now I wouldn't blame anyone for waiting for better prices and more variation on RAM modules.
    A few things:

1) The number of available ratios on any platform depends on the architecture and how much async margin it allows between bus domains. Only AMD would know what is possible at the hardware layer and where the internal buffers and buses reach their async limit (can be caused by a number of things).

2) Given there is no access to most of the memory timings yet, one should not be surprised at the maximum working ratio.

These things may change with time, but you need to be realistic. Nobody is purposely blocking something from happening. On this platform, it's almost always going to be one of two things: not yet ready, or not possible.

3) Why did you buy a DDR4-4000 memory kit for this platform? You made an assumption, that's why. If you've been building PCs for a few years, you know that supported memory speeds can vary from platform to platform. And if you didn't, you do now. Hopefully, you will take your time and assess things before you buy. Always best to sit back and watch the dust settle before taking the plunge.

With this platform, people were so eager to have a change from Intel (in one form or another), that they gave up the better side of their discerning nature to jump on the bandwagon.

ROG Member Array

Raja, thanks for the reply.
    In no way I'm blaming you guys about memory issue. You already explained it in detail in other thread. I just had a dig at AMD, that's all.
    I bought this ram because i had some information which pointed at very good IMC, and I'm still standing by that info, thus a dig at AMD with their somewhat incompetence. The fact that ram is rated at 4000mhz is not an issue since i can always run ram at whatever platform supports max and just tighten timings as much as i can. As it is right now with 3200mhz I'm already quite ahead of whatever i managed with Intel's x99 platform, and at current state 370x platform is murdering my x99 system left and right even with all the teething issues present. I think Intel will be in huge dodo when everything is ironed out

Understood. Things are progressing, but nobody knows how far they can ultimately go. To get any further with the IMC, board vendors need a lot more access to the registers.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    Understood. Things are progressing, but nobody knows how far they can ultimately go. To get any further with the IMC, board vendors need a lot more access to the registers.
    The thing is i got Bulldozer as soon as it was released, got K10 quad as soon as it was released and got Thuban as soon as it was available. All of them had everything enabled and available.
    It's like they forgot how CPU releases go
    Anyway, enough of this. Situation is clear, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    A few things:
    With this platform, people were so eager to have a change from Intel (in one form or another), that they gave up the better side of their discerning nature to jump on the bandwagon.
    I got a good laugh from this reminds me of what just happened.......

I want to build a Ryzen system but waiting for the bios stuff to be worked out. I think that I use the prime b350-plus motherboard. How long do you think it will be before we have a stable bios for that motherboard? I'm guessing that you guys get the ROG boards working first. If you can't give me any time frames maybe you can tell me what signs to look for.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zorin1 View Post
    I got a good laugh from this reminds me of what just happened.......

I want to build a Ryzen system but waiting for the bios stuff to be worked out. I think that I use the prime b350-plus motherboard. How long do you think it will be before we have a stable bios for that motherboard? I'm guessing that you guys get the ROG boards working first. If you can't give me any time frames maybe you can tell me what signs to look for.

thanks
    I honestly do not know. It depends what you want to do with the platform, too. Overclocking of any form are where most of the issues lie. If it's just a basic system, perhaps 1-2 months more would be a good idea.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Demoniacstar PC Specs
    Demoniacstar PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)none
    MotherboardAsus Crosshair VI Hero
    ProcessorRyzen 1800x
    Memory (part number)tdrgd4 16g3000hc16cdc01
    Graphics Card #1XFX R9 390/ EK water block OC'd
    Graphics Card #2XFX R9 390/ EK water block OC'd
    Sound Cardon board
    Monitor2X 24" veiwsonic 1080p/ 55"Samsung 4k curved
    Storage #1Samsung evo 840, 250gig sys drive
    Storage #25 other mixed hdd's
    CPU CoolerEK C6H mono block
    CaseThermaltake core x9
    Power SupplyThermaltake 1500w dps rgb
    Keyboard Corsair k65
    Mouse R.A.T. 9
    Headset Turtle Beach Star Wars X wing edition
    Mouse Pad WOW desk mat
    Headset/Speakers Logitech 5.1
    Accessory #1 Airplex radical 2 480 on gpus swifttech d5
    Accessory #2 Airplex radical 2 480 on cpu swifttech d5
    Accessory #3 Airplex radical 2 280 on sb p500 TT

what bad SoC voltage will look like and other helpful overclocking tips

so just incase some of you have been wondering what and how i know in Aida64 cache memory benchmark that my SoC voltage is off i will show you
    this is bad SoC voltage
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bad SoC.JPG 
Views:	184 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	63447

this is what a good stable SoC voltage will look like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	good SoC voltage.JPG 
Views:	189 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	63448

that is not the best looking test's i have ran but it shows what too high or too low Soc will look like
    i do not remember exact voltages to those runs however it does not matter because
    you're going to start with 0.95 SoC voltage with 2666 ram
    if you are attempting to run your rams high xmp rating set ram for its own rated voltage and do not go over that
    you do not and should not ever have to if you have not reached your rams rated clock speed!!
    it can and most always does hurt performance
    in bios my ram wuz set to 2666..as you can see the bclk is 102.2 ..... all timings are set to 14-14-14-14-32-cr1(bios version 1001)
    when testing for max ram clock and stability i do this,
    first thing is you have to find and set a KNOWN! STABLE cpu clock speed and voltage set bclk to 100.00 SoC voltage set to 0.95 ..i then set manually prescribed settings for ram timings and clocks .. i got 3000 mhz so i set it no boot i drop ram 2933 no boot drop ram 2666 booted while trying to boot high ram xmp setting i do not absolutely do not change any voltage....you want to find and are looking for maximum boot level and performance before worrying about crazy fast speeds those that can't start here at stock or at where they can boot at stock voltages will most likely be overvolting something or everything on their system ......before i even worry bout testing in cache mem test
    i run the aida64(A64) stress test on ram only i started at 2666 set voltage to 1.35/stock 3000 mhz voltage..
    booted
    run A64 stress test ram only and wait for 15 minutes this is not a stability test
    i then go to bios and drop voltage one click.. and boot back up and run the stress test for 15 minutes again and i keep doing that until i get issues booting or it fails the test ...i then bump it up one time......once it makes 15 minutes i will let it run longer ...about a hour is all i give it
    once the ram is stable like this i will then run the A64 cache mem test
    this test is very helpful when tuning voltages i have myself just started learning how to use this test like i could on the am3 platform
    so feel free to corect me and or add to this if im wrong about something
    the first mem test will tell you a lot ......
    but we will start with cpu voltage
    when looking for a good strong vcore cpu voltage look at l1 cache
    most if not all Ryzen 1800x at 4ghz will be in the 900 to 999gb/s range on l1 read and copy
    and 490's to 500 gb/s on write but it will very from board to board im sure
    to tune this voltage using aida go into bios and and raise vcore one click ....by one click i mean hit the + one time adding ONE click
    i can not stress this enough ...if you do not take time to do this you will not ever maximize you overclocks ..and to me not maximize the performance of a overclock setting kind of defeats the purpose of overclocking any way......
    sorry rant over...lol....
    but any how you do one click at a time and take a screenshot of each test and save them to compare
    if you pay attention to the numbers you will learn and see what vcore changes which is mostly l1, but does have effects on ram also...however slightly
    when you see that l1 cache is not going up any more from raising voltage you can back down till you see it drop and raise it one time(some need two clicks up) ....guarantee stability
    then we will move on to ram ..and ram is tricky .....
    this applies to all ram even after our bios gets strait this tune method works wonderfully
    like i said we set all our stock settings and found a bootable ram clock at prescribed ram settings
    we seen what the numbers look like in the cache mem test and we got it stable at lower then stock setting voltage
    presuming stock high xmp did not set..... if stock xmp did set it is still advised to find low ram voltage
    and this same methods still apply first thing we do now is
    play with timings ....i love the timing page on the C6h it's a simple spot for base timings ....
    find timings for ram at the level of clock speed you are at set those timings if you start with 2666 find timings for 2666 from same ram manufacturer as the ram you got...did it boot ...no the raise timings at this time we do not change any voltage at all ...we are looking for lowest timings at this voltage...
    once you get timings set and that show stable and a cache mem test is done we will start raising ram voltage and comparing screen shots of the cache mem test to decide when we find a voltage we like .....via the strongest scores we can get .....
    always run this test with nothing else in the background you want the same testing environment every time!!!
    then after we find the best voltage for ram wee play with the l3 ram cache scores by changing SoC voltage
    we started with 0.95 most of you should be able to get anything up to 3200 to work on 0.95 some might need to be higher
    but as you can see by the test it can affect performance insanely you want to play with this voltage
    in fact i went one click testing all the way to 1.25 and i have found that for my system with 2666 to 2725
    high SoC voltage did not help me get my ram clocks any higher and in fact 0.956 or thereabouts is my perfect SoC voltage
    the IMC on this 1800x is strong regardless of what other people are saying out there on the internet i can't confirm it because i have not researched it mostly cuz i dont have any but i am will to bet a 3200mhz 16gb kit of ram will boot and run with 0.95 voltage.....that SoC voltage is more then likely the reason people are killing their boards and or cpu's ....even Raja here on these forums says to keep SoC under 1.15 volts .....he does not say it cuz he is just guessing or throwing out a number .....this cpu don't need to be higher and it's a killer on performance ,
    i hope this helps some of you get the best out of your cpu...i hope this gives those of you a new way or your first way on tuning and understanding what it is to truly maximize your overclocks.
    i will add sometime when changing voltages to maximize performance your scores are going to go down before going up sometimes .....it is best to test up to you know it's not getting any better or maybe even the entire spectrum of min to max safe voltages...
    that way you know without a doubt you're getting the most out of your oc ......and i find it interesting going threw all voltages anyway
    ONE CLICK AT A TIME AND ONLY ONE VOLTAGE SETTING AT A TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Demoniacstar; 03-23-2017 at 07:18 PM.

New ROGer Array

Question

@PMDemoniacstar: Thanks for your introducing.
    How did you find your best cpu ratio afterall? Can you send your final BIOS settings?

What i had understand:

Step 1: Find at first the lowest DRAM voltage with max. bootable DRAM Clock . (2666MHZ @1.35V)
    Step 2: Find lowest stable CPU core voltage, starting at 1.35V with 3Ghz.

What is the next step?

Right?

thanks.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast