cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AI Suite & Bios Pump Control (Maximus Formula IX)

Iormangund
Level 7
So I have a couple of issues,

First off I cannot control a PWM pump on W_PUMP+ header at all in AI suite. I have it set as enabled and on PWM mode in the bios, it will show the pump rpm in AI suite but there is no option to control it. If I set a manual speed curve in the bios for it once AI suite service loads it puts the pump to 100% and will not change it according to the bios settings. After uninstalling AI suite it will at least now follow the rpm settings in the bios.

Second issue is that it seems silly that neither the CPU header or the W_PUMP+ header can be set to be controlled by anything other than the CPU temp. With such a focus on water cooling I fail to understand why there isn't an option to control it by water temp. When you have graphics cards and other waterblocks that may cause heat when the cpu doesn't only allowing CPU temp control is not very helpful. Which also brings me to question why there is no water temp header control options at all in the bios, I have taken to attaching my water temp probe to the spare temp sensor header on the motherboard so I can at least set the radiator fans to the water temp.

Is there any way for these issues to be fixed or any idea if, in the case of the second issue, a change is in the works for bios watercooling control?

Is my only option to stick the water pump on a chassis fan header if I want any control over it?

If I want bios control (ie not using ai suite at all) of all my fans and pumps only by water temp, I would have to keep a water probe on the temp sensor header and ignore W_PUMP/CPU headers?

(Btw I am on the latest bios, 0801, and did a couple cmos reset since upgrading. Also, if it matters, the pump I am using is the EK PWM dual pump)
34 REPLIES 34

Oele81
Level 7
Iormangund wrote:
So I have a couple of issues,

First off I cannot control a PWM pump on W_PUMP+ header at all in AI suite. I have it set as enabled and on PWM mode in the bios, it will show the pump rpm in AI suite but there is no option to control it. If I set a manual speed curve in the bios for it once AI suite service loads it puts the pump to 100% and will not change it according to the bios settings. After uninstalling AI suite it will at least now follow the rpm settings in the bios.

Second issue is that it seems silly that neither the CPU header or the W_PUMP+ header can be set to be controlled by anything other than the CPU temp. With such a focus on water cooling I fail to understand why there isn't an option to control it by water temp. When you have graphics cards and other waterblocks that may cause heat when the cpu doesn't only allowing CPU temp control is not very helpful. Which also brings me to question why there is no water temp header control options at all in the bios, I have taken to attaching my water temp probe to the spare temp sensor header on the motherboard so I can at least set the radiator fans to the water temp.

Is there any way for these issues to be fixed or any idea if, in the case of the second issue, a change is in the works for bios watercooling control?

Is my only option to stick the water pump on a chassis fan header if I want any control over it?

If I want bios control (ie not using ai suite at all) of all my fans and pumps only by water temp, I would have to keep a water probe on the temp sensor header and ignore W_PUMP/CPU headers?

(Btw I am on the latest bios, 0801, and did a couple cmos reset since upgrading. Also, if it matters, the pump I am using is the EK PWM dual pump)

Hi,
I have nearly the same issue since I updated the Bios of my Maximus Hero IX to 0801. With the previous Bios it worked when i set the values in Bios. In Ai Suite it did not work. But now my water pump doesn't start, even if I configured it in the Bios settings. Fyi I use the Alphacool Eispumpe.

Best regards
André

Well for now I have put the pump on a chassis fan header and it's working find on that and I can control it via water temp (on the extra temp header not water temp header). Have also abandoned the cpu fan header as I can't control that with anything but cpu temp.

I hope at some point the problem get's fixed because having the cpu header, water pump header and water temp headers basically being useless for a complete watercooled build sucks considering the water cooling 'advantages' was one of the reasons I chose this motherboard instead of a competitor.

Ok,
in my case it seems that the pump is out of order. Disconnected it from the wpump+ socket, so that it should run at full speed, but nothing happens. I think I have to change the pump after 4 weeks. 😞

I have the same issue with the W_PUMP+ header on my Strix z270G board. I think Asus disabled the controls in the bios for some reason; like they think the best option is to have it at 100%. In Fan Xpert 4, I can only control it using the smart fan controls, the fixed rpm setting is disabled. Every basic fan setting (standard, silent, etc) will put it back to 100%. I also can't put the entire line at 100%, the part where the temperature box is red will always stay at 100%.

I have a D5 Vario PWM pump in a small loop and at 100% it pushes so much water that it churns up the water in my reservoir and causes the pump to suck in air bubbles constantly. Personally, I'm probably going to abandon AI Suite and put my pump on the cpu header so I have bios controls to keep it lowered during startup, then go back to SpeedFan so I can still use my GPU to control the fans. They advertise Fan Xpert 4 as being able to control with your gpu, but I eventually found an article that says it only works for Asus cards. The AI Suite doesn't even see my 1070.

JustinThyme
Level 13
I know you dont want to hear it but there is a way for all of these issues to be fixed.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/aquacomputer-aquaero-6-pro-usb-fan-controller-grafik-lcd.html

This is what I use and it controls two D5 pumps in series and 7 fans with the liquid temp as the reference. If you are water cooling nothing else makes sense as the water temp is what you are regulating with the fans. It also has the ability to add a flowmeter that is pretty darn accurate.

here is what happens with CPU temp controlling fans, note particularly the rad fans bottom left. This is a 5 min graph

here is what happens when you use the liquid temp instead, note how fast it levels right out as it should on both the pump speed and the rad fans

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

I have this exact same issue with my IX Formula and AI Suite. It won't let me control the pump speed of my pump plugged into w_pump+.

ONCE when I went into AI Suite I suddenly had that AIO Pump graph unlocked. Knowing that AIO Pump and w_pump+ share the same graph, I made changes and it actually did control the pump speed. I was able to drop my pump from 4800+ rpm to around 3200. However, at the same time Fan Xpert was screaming at me to re-run the fan tuning. After I did, AIO Pump control was gone again and my pump was back to 4800rpm.

I do have a free fan header at the moment so I guess I'll have to plug the pump into that for now. Hope this gets fixed soon!

fjc wrote:
I have this exact same issue with my IX Formula and AI Suite. It won't let me control the pump speed of my pump plugged into w_pump+.

ONCE when I went into AI Suite I suddenly had that AIO Pump graph unlocked. Knowing that AIO Pump and w_pump+ share the same graph, I made changes and it actually did control the pump speed. I was able to drop my pump from 4800+ rpm to around 3200. However, at the same time Fan Xpert was screaming at me to re-run the fan tuning. After I did, AIO Pump control was gone again and my pump was back to 4800rpm.

Same issue here as everyone else, fjc described it exactly as mine is behaving, Im hoping the issue will be addressed in the next version of AISUITEIII. Has anyone reported this issue to Asus, if not what is the best channel to report such issues. I would at least like to get acknowledgement if Asus is aware of the problem or not.

In the first pic you can see Fanxpert4 shows only AIO pump but offers no control (note nothing is plugged into my aio pump header, my pump is plugged into waterpump+ header). However at the bottom of the pic you can see my pump (aquacomputer d5 pwm) is running full speed @ 4800+rpm.

Same thing here. Fan auto tuning & Q fan has been performed in the bios & in AISUITEIII and my headers are enabled in bios, I have tried auto & PWM to no avail 😞

And here you can see HWmonitor shows my pump is conneccted to the water pump+ header. For some reason AIDA64 shows my pump as Fan #4 (Motherboard) . My pump is working fine & we know its not an incompatibility issue as many others with diffferent brand pwm pumps are reporting the same problem

I would try the AIO pump header but my pump is in the bottom front of my case and the AIO header is located in the back of the case near the rear fan header
ASUS Maximus 13 Hero, Intel I9 11900k, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA

Does AI Suite really sends any info to the BIOS? I see people saying that AI Suite sends the settings to the BIOS, but when I open UEFI BIOS they are exactly the same unchanged.

F. Gacrux wrote:
Does AI Suite really sends any info to the BIOS? I see people saying that AI Suite sends the settings to the BIOS, but when I open UEFI BIOS they are exactly the same unchanged.

No it doesn't and even when fan tuning is done in bios and min, middle and max configurations are set in bios it still does not function in windows, pwm pump still runs at full speed 4800rpm!
ASUS Maximus 13 Hero, Intel I9 11900k, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA