cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quickstarter Guide Crosshair VI Hero

Exoplast
Level 7
Hi everybody ,

i have seen that many poeple have problem with that Board when they first start it . So i have decided to write a small Guide.
This guide listing the Steps that i have done when my Cpu and Board have arrived (only the Steps ).

1. Download the newest Stable Bios from the support Site ( not the Beta Bios 5704 it has an thermal sensor bug )
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO-ASUS-0702.zip?_ga=...

2. Unrar the archieve and rename the .cab file to C6H.cap . After that that you put the .cap file to your usb stick and stick the stick the UsB-Drive to the UsB-Port that is called Bios (have a white Square around it . After that you must click the flashbackkey at the backside of your board . Wait till it have completly stop blinking (can took some minutes) . After that click the clear cmos Button .

3. Now your Board is ready to start with the Ryzen CPU . So you can install all your components to the Borad . Make sure all cables are connected correctly .

4. Press F2 or the del key to go in the Bios and do the usual thing there. :cool: If you have done you settings save it .

5 . Now you can install your Windows. After that install the drivers from the support Website https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/HelpDesk_Download/.

6. Now you have finished the work and can have fun with the ryzen .

Cheers exoplast

PS: For every who has a Logitech g510 please use an other keyboard to get in the bios . The G510 doesn't work in the bios . Hope asus will fix it very fast
5 REPLIES 5

Praz
Level 13
Exoplast wrote:
Hi everybody ,

i have seen that many poeple have problem with that Board when they first start it . So i have decided to write a small Guide.
This guide listing the Steps that i have done when my Cpu and Board have arrived (only the Steps ).

1. Download the newest Stable Bios from the support Site ( not the Beta Bios 5704 it has an thermal sensor bug )
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO-ASUS-0702.zip?_ga=...

2. Unrar the archieve and rename the .cab file to C6H.cab . After that that you put the .cab file to your usb stick and stick the stick the UsB-Drive to the UsB-Port that is called Bios (have a white Square around it . After that you must click the flashbackkey at the backside of your board . Wait till it have completly stop blinking (can took some minutes) . After that click the clear cmos Button .

3. Now your Board is ready to start with the Ryzen CPU . So you can install all your components to the Borad . Make sure all cables are connected correctly .

4. Press F2 or the del key to go in the Bios and do the usual thing there. :cool: If you have done you settings save it .

5 . Now you can install your Windows. After that install the drivers from the support Website https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/HelpDesk_Download/.

6. Now you have finished the work and can have fun with the ryzen .

Cheers exoplast

Hello

All guides should be accurate. The file extension is CAP not CAB.

Praz wrote:
Hello

All guides should be accurate. The file extension is CAP not CAB.

There was my hands faster than the brain . have change it .

Dumb question - can the flashback option be used without CPU or RAM installed? I started building PCs back in the day when you needed a CPU and RAM to even start to post or flash the BIOS - so you were in a world of hurt if for some reason your latest version of the CPU was totally incompatible with the BIOS revision your new board had installed. But from some things I've seen, it sounds like flashback will work with just a bare MB that is getting the appropriate power - is this the case, or am I just reading into it wrong?

SubnetMask wrote:
Dumb question - can the flashback option be used without CPU or RAM installed? I started building PCs back in the day when you needed a CPU and RAM to even start to post or flash the BIOS - so you were in a world of hurt if for some reason your latest version of the CPU was totally incompatible with the BIOS revision your new board had installed. But from some things I've seen, it sounds like flashback will work with just a bare MB that is getting the appropriate power - is this the case, or am I just reading into it wrong?

There are many videos showing the flashback being used on a bare board. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVvHwq3syqI just one of many.

There are a few basic requirements though.
1. Format the USB stick to fat32. There are manuals stating it works with NTFS but some wont so go for the safe option.
2. The file must be in the root directory
3. For Crossfire VI hero the cap file name is c6h.cap. Rename the bios file to this.

Steps to use it.

1. Switch off the power.
2. Insert the USB stick into the flashback slot. It is a 2.0 slot with the white box highlighting it.
3. Switch the power back on, but do not initiate start up.
4. Press the flashback button and hold for 3 seconds. It will start flashing with a blue light.
5. Do not power off until the blue flashing has ceased.
6. restart the machine with the new bios update installed.

I have used this several times now, so I am not on the original bios release. But my system will not allow flashback without a CPU installed anymore. But it does flashback regardless. Awesome feature, shame I cant actually get a bios that works yet.

Exoplast wrote:
Hi everybody ,

Link does not work. If there is a bios update that may work then I would like to try it out. Fix the link please. Also please state which bios version it is.

syldon wrote:
Link does not work. If there is a bios update that may work then I would like to try it out. Fix the link please. Also please state which bios version it is.

That link was to the 0702 BIOS, which is no longer supported by ASUS. Only one BIOS version is supported officially -- 0902. Previous versions all carry the possibility of bricking the board.