cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Build Shuts Off, When Turned Back On It Turns Off for 2-Seconds Then Back On

PReid
Level 7
After building this PC (system specs below) approximately 2-months ago it has been running like a top, and so it should for what it cost. Last evening I was only surfing the internet when it shut off without warning. On attempting to start it back up I hit the power button , it runs for about 2-secs, shuts off, then starts back up again and remains running but does not post nor is there any video display on my monitor. I had overclocked the CPU ever so slightly after doing alot of reading / watching instructional YouTube videos to 3.7GHz and it has been running quite stable w/ regular temperatures from what I have witnessed.

I have read a few other threads that have a similar issue. The only thing that I can think of, after having read another thread is that I did not apply additional thermal paste to the CPU cooler before installing, as it did have some present on it upon receiving it new, rookie mistake maybe but like I said it has been running great. That being said, my first step will be to remove the CPU from the motherboard, remove old thermal paste and apply fresh thermal paste and see if that will correct the problem.

I would very much appreciate any guidance and / or assistance that anyone can provide. I consider myself a fairly tech-savvy person but as this was my first computer build I would appreciate any positive feedback people have to offer.

Thanks.

Paul Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

System specs are as follows:

Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Case
ASUS X99 Deluxe II Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-6850K 15M Broadwell-E 6-Core 3.6 GHz
Corsair Hydro Series H110i Extreme Performance Water/Liquid CPU Cooler, 280mm
2 x ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition Graphics Card
Corsair HX 1000i High Performance Power Supply
Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 SDRAM
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 2280 512GB
2 x WD Black 6TB Performance HDD
6 REPLIES 6

ace7
Level 7
You are not alone mate, This is my second ASUS Deluxe II board, first one had fault A1 RAM-slot.

I've the exact same problem, just happened to me just yesterday. My computer was on over the night. Came back in the morning to find it off, which was odd. Then I tried to start it up, with no progress it just dies after a successful boot.

At the beginning, i though it was a PSU problem, one month earlier, my Corsair PSU broke, and I got a replacement that have worked and is working fine

What I've Tried.

The BIOS was on 1401 when all this happened.
Reflashed bios with BIOS flashback USB.
Changed PSU, still same problem, and also tried all my memory slots with one stick.
Cleared CMOS like 100 times.

Then I tried my CPU on my friends X99 Asus Deluxe II board....same problem...

Im beginning to think X99 motherboards from Asus is killing CPU'S.

Here is a video of the problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUCw3HWo6So&feature=youtu.be

My Specs are:
ASUS X99 Deluxe II Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-6850K (no overclock)
EVGA 1080 GTX FTW (no overclock)
Corsair Vengeance LED 3400Mhz (Running at 2133 MHz) 8GBx4 (32GB)
PSU: Corsair 1200AXi / EVGA BQ 600Q

Mine is behaving slightly different albeit similar behavior. The QCode on mine displays 00 and the onboard CPU status LED remains lit, which, according to the manual, indicates there may be a potential CPU issue / problem.

I would like to definitively rule out if my CPU is bad or not but I do not have another Motherboard to test it on. I may just bite the bullet and go buy another compatible motherboard and if it works I'll swap all of my gear onto it. Super ****ty either way though.

Vlada011
Level 10
You don't need to remove CPU from motherboard to install paste. Just remove cooler and install litte paste on middle of CPU.
Look...and Install Cooler again. It's not good to keep without paste because surface of cooler and CPU not match perfectly and paste help.

Preid your problem is PSU probably.
Before I practice to keep always one backup PSU in house.

Second is maybe motherboard but not 100% sure.

You don't need to add extra TIM to the cooler if it has it on there already. Also, if you do use your own TIM, you need to fully clean off the TIM that came on the cooler with either 90%+ isopropyl alcohol or (better yet) ArcticClean. And, as someone else mentioned, you don't need much.
One question ... are you seeing high temperatures? Have you felt the tubes for the cooler? Can you feel the pump operating? You may have an issue with the water cooler that is causing the CPU to overheat. Can you let it sit for, say, an hour and then boot to the BIOS to validate the temps and that the pump is working (if it's installed per instructions, it will report (Pump Speed / 2) as the CPU Fan speed. Also, make sure that you have the CPU fan configured to 100% or to PWM mode as it needs the +12V constantly.

Hi everyone! I bought a new CPU back in December. Everything was running fine until about 2 months ago it just died on me. I went to bed one night, woke up the next morning to my CPU off and wouldn't start back up. I just got a replaced mother board (asus strix x99) from asus directly. Got everything out back together and it is still doing the same thing. Just power cycles. Turns on for a second. Then turns off. Turns on. Is this motherboard known for having problems or is my processor gone bad? My build is*

Asus strix x99
Asus strix FTC 1070OC
Intel I7-6800k
Corsair ddr4 3200mhz vengeance led 32GB(4- 8 GB sticks)
Corsair *H115i
Samsung 960 pro m.2
Samsung 850 pro ssd
EVGA 1000w PSU

If anyone has any idea as to what could be the issue I would greatly appreciate the help. I've tested memory, power supply, video card. I've even dropped it off at micro center to have then run a diagnostics. They said it is either the motherboard, or the processor.I would also like to point out that none of lights indicating i have a hardware issue are on. So i do not believe my issue is with any of my hardware. I would also like to note that i have sent the board back to ASUS TWO TIMES ALREADY!!!! First time i believe they sent me a new or refurbished board, when i got this board none of the LEDS light up. So i sent it back to them, they said there is nothing wrong with it. Sent it back to me, LEDS light up, but computer wont post still. Get back on the phone with ASUS run through there stupid check list for the 3rd time, point out again that none of the LEDS are on for hardware failure, Rep says it sounds like motherboard so need to do another RMA on it. The Q-CODE has remained at 00 with all of the boards, the one i purchased, the one they sent me, and the one they sent me back. Im at a lose for words and beyond frustrated. please help!

Rieds wrote:
Hi everyone! I bought a new CPU back in December. Everything was running fine until about 2 months ago it just died on me. I went to bed one night, woke up the next morning to my CPU off and wouldn't start back up. I just got a replaced mother board (asus strix x99) from asus directly. Got everything out back together and it is still doing the same thing. Just power cycles. Turns on for a second. Then turns off. Turns on. Is this motherboard known for having problems or is my processor gone bad? My build is*

Asus strix x99
Asus strix FTC 1070OC
Intel I7-6800k
Corsair ddr4 3200mhz vengeance led 32GB(4- 8 GB sticks)
Corsair *H115i
Samsung 960 pro m.2
Samsung 850 pro ssd
EVGA 1000w PSU

If anyone has any idea as to what could be the issue I would greatly appreciate the help. I've tested memory, power supply, video card. I've even dropped it off at micro center to have then run a diagnostics. They said it is either the motherboard, or the processor.I would also like to point out that none of lights indicating i have a hardware issue are on. So i do not believe my issue is with any of my hardware. I would also like to note that i have sent the board back to ASUS TWO TIMES ALREADY!!!! First time i believe they sent me a new or refurbished board, when i got this board none of the LEDS light up. So i sent it back to them, they said there is nothing wrong with it. Sent it back to me, LEDS light up, but computer wont post still. Get back on the phone with ASUS run through there stupid check list for the 3rd time, point out again that none of the LEDS are on for hardware failure, Rep says it sounds like motherboard so need to do another RMA on it. The Q-CODE has remained at 00 with all of the boards, the one i purchased, the one they sent me, and the one they sent me back. Im at a lose for words and beyond frustrated. please help!

Did anyone ever help you out?