cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Raid 0 Issue with two Crucial M4 128 GB SSDs

chrisk2305
Level 7
Hi,

i am having big trouble getting my raid0 which consists of two crucial m4 128GB SSDs up and running at decent speeds.

The two ssds are connected to port 1 and 2 (sb950) and are configured as raid0 via the legacy raid option rom.

I also tried the UEFI Raid ROM but it doesn't seem to work (no way to get in the raid bios, what is this about)

I enabled write caching and turned off write cache buffer flushing in the windows device manager (as recommended in many threads)

In Raid Xpert the caching options are turned off and i can't turn them on (kind of greyed out). Why is that? I am pretty sure, that this decreases performance a lot!

In AS SSD Benchmark i only get about 700mb/s seq read and 300 seq write. I've seen much better speeds in this constellation in many forums (1gb/s read, 600 write)

I am using the latest bios 1003.

Please help me out since this really frustrates me.

Thanks!

Cheers, Christian
11 REPLIES 11

HiVizMan
Level 40
SATA Port1-Port4 in the BIOS have been set to RAID?

And to enter the AMS Option ROM utility you need to press Ctrl + F during the POST process to display the main menu.

Your Windows is up to date and current. Service packs and all that sort of thing.

Pretty sure you know all that and have done so. But it is better to ask early in the process rather than chase our tails so to speak.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hi,

thanks for the reply.

Ports 1-4 are set to raid and everything is configured correctly in "legacy raid rom" (ctrl-f) but what about uefi raid, is that unusable?

Windows and Raid drivers are up to date. I just don't get it why i can't modify the caching options in raid Xpert. I am pretty sure this would positivly affect speeds...

chrisk2305 wrote:
Hi,

thanks for the reply.

Ports 1-4 are set to raid and everything is configured correctly in "legacy raid rom" (ctrl-f) but what about uefi raid, is that unusable?

Windows and Raid drivers are up to date. I just don't get it why i can't modify the caching options in raid Xpert. I am pretty sure this would positivly affect speeds...

I made topic some weeks ago about the same ... almost no answer. This board just doesn't have cache options for RAID. All these options are invisible in RAID ROM. I'm able to set everything on Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 that is on the same chipset etc.
What more after I made secure erase on CHV both of my M4 64GB are not able to work in RAID at all. Installation is crashing not only on integrated RAID but also on LSI SAS3G/SATA2 card with the same errors. I can only add that the same SSD are working fine on other boards.
Before I made SE I was able to pass 1GB/s in ATTO so max transfers are ok just random are so low that single SSD in AHCI is giving the same or sometimes even better results ( like AS SSD or CM3 ).
I'm not sure if cache is only disabled in UEFI/RAID ROM but I wish to see update for RAID ROM with at least write back option.

i can't believe it, why did Asus do that?

Is there anybody who can mod the exisiting newest bios and inject the newest RAID Rom from AMD.

Or will a new RAID Rom be included in the next bios version?

I ask myself why i spent so much money on that mobo when these basic funktictionalites don't even work...

Henkenator68NL
Level 13
I have the same experience with my OCZ Vertex 3 120 Gb SSD's in RAID0:
Here are results in different benchmark suites, also compared with my old system (Rampage Extreme Intel ICH9 controller Core2Quad, Sata 2!!)

5312Image53145315

AS SSD Gives indeed very low seq. write speed, other tests like ATTO seem to perform better.

I have not had any problem with setting up RAID 0, even after secure erase and rebuild of RAID array after firmware update.

So far I have yet to find the answer .....

If you hear anything let us know!

Greetz

Mummy
Level 8
Intels RAID is simple better/faster then AMDs.
My Write cache status is Enabled, but i cant make any change via that web settings on how it works. I can only disable it or let it be enable.
if you google about it then you see we arent lone.
Some peoplepost that he hear those settings cant be change, they just show how it works at moment.

There has bean little progres in it for example via BIOS updates.

Sry cant use "attachments" or links at the moment dont know is it the new forum or what...
CPU: AMD FX-8150 MB: ASUS Crosshair V Formula DDR3: 2x4GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1866
GPU: ASUS 7970 SSD: 4x Corsair F3 120GB @ Raid0 PSU: SF Golden Silent 500W OS: W7 Ultimate 64bit

I was able to make about the same results on Intel and AMD controllers with my 2x M4 64GB but I was using Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 board so yes 1GB/s+ in sequential read and 1000+ score in AS SSD on 2xM4 64GB.
I wouldn't say that AMD controller is so slow, it just needs some options that are missing in RAID ROM.
CHV seems best board for FX right now except that I'm really disapointed about RAID performance.

I was able to fix problem with my SSD wiping them with diskpart runned from Win7 command prompt.
Good advice. Don't play too much with secure erase on CHV.

hopefully ASUS will fix this in an upcoming bios release.

What you mean with fix problems with diskpart. Did that increase performance?

thx!

I mean that I was unable to install any system on my SSD after I made secure erase on CHV. Yesterday I fixed this issue using diskpart command in command prompt. There is option to wipe all drive. It won't make your drive to run faster, it will only erase all data and set cells to 0. I couldn't make it using any other erasing method ( so anything that was in parted magic and in some raid controllers ).
Probably today I will test some memory and since I was saying only bad things about CHV till now, I can add that this board is great for memory tweaking 😄