cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG27AQ stuttering with STRIX 1080GTX

rududoo
Level 7
Hi guys,

I recently bought a PG27AQ monitor. The apparent problem I observed with it, using its native 4K resolution in Win 10 64bit, was some kind of image stuttering (if I opened a window I couldn't see its text or buttons, or the highlight in windows explorer of a folder that I selected took seconds as if the cpu was 100% load).
I checked task manager and I didn't notice anything suspicious - I mean a high loaded process.
I mention that the image is re scaled at 200%. (otherwise everything would be too small)
I tried to update the NVIDIA driver hoping that the problem would vanish but the result remained the same.
One strange aspect is that if I go in Windows options and change the resolution to a lower one, and then revert back to native 4K the problem vanishes.
But this kind of fix it's annoying cause I have to do this step each time I restart the computer.(note that I do not want to use hibernate option)

On a full HD TV - I do not see any kind of issue. So this situation appears only in 4k context.

Any advice would be appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

qUAanA
Level 10
rududoo wrote:
Hi guys,

I recently bought a PG27AQ monitor. The apparent problem I observed with it, using its native 4K resolution in Win 10 64bit, was some kind of image stuttering (if I opened a window I couldn't see its text or buttons, or the highlight in windows explorer of a folder that I selected took seconds as if the cpu was 100% load).
I checked task manager and I didn't notice anything suspicious - I mean a high loaded process.
I mention that the image is re scaled at 200%. (otherwise everything would be too small)
I tried to update the NVIDIA driver hoping that the problem would vanish but the result remained the same.
One strange aspect is that if I go in Windows options and change the resolution to a lower one, and then revert back to native 4K the problem vanishes.
But this kind of fix it's annoying cause I have to do this step each time I restart the computer.(note that I do not want to use hibernate option)

On a full HD TV - I do not see any kind of issue. So this situation appears only in 4k context.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Congrats!!!
Where did you get this from?*

Crashcourse316
Level 9
qUAanA wrote:
Congrats!!!
Where did you get this from?*

Nice advice....:p

Anyways,
You could try and uninstall the Nvidia drivers completely. The windows default driver should take over and do some funky stuff. Reboot after nvidia is gone and see if the issue continues. If this fixes the issue you can at least narrow it down to Nvidia drivers as the cause.

If the uninstall fixes the issue I would try reinstalling Nvidia and see i the complete reinstall fixes the issue. If the issue starts up again after reinstalling NVidia. I personally would just perform a clean install of windows and That should resolve everything.

If the issue continues while no NVidia drivers are installed I would also resort to a clean installation of windows in this case as well.

If the issues continues after installing NVidia drivers with a clean windows installation I would submit a bug report through NVidia so get things resolved.

Don't forget to backup everything if you resort to a windows reinstall.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Crashcourse316 wrote:
Nice advice....:p

Anyways,
You could try and uninstall the Nvidia drivers completely. The windows default driver should take over and do some funky stuff. Reboot after nvidia is gone and see if the issue continues. If this fixes the issue you can at least narrow it down to Nvidia drivers as the cause.

If the uninstall fixes the issue I would try reinstalling Nvidia and see i the complete reinstall fixes the issue. If the issue starts up again after reinstalling NVidia. I personally would just perform a clean install of windows and That should resolve everything.

If the issue continues while no NVidia drivers are installed I would also resort to a clean installation of windows in this case as well.

If the issues continues after installing NVidia drivers with a clean windows installation I would submit a bug report through NVidia so get things resolved.

Don't forget to backup everything if you resort to a windows reinstall.

There is one thing I forgot to mention in my previous post. On Ubuntu Linux there is no stuttering issue -although the image is re scaled.
So it looks like a software problem. I would try to remove NVIDIA driver and install the newest one. Right now I've installed the new NVIDIA without uninstalling the old one. (the result remain the same - problem persisted). I hope I will not reach to the point of Windows reinstall.

rududoo wrote:
There is one thing I forgot to mention in my previous post. On Ubuntu Linux there is no stuttering issue -although the image is re scaled.
So it looks like a software problem. I would try to remove NVIDIA driver and install the newest one. Right now I've installed the new NVIDIA without uninstalling the old one. (the result remain the same - problem persisted). I hope I will not reach to the point of Windows reinstall.

Yea, something is interfering. It's probably a setting that was previously set in NVidia that's causing it and when you upgraded the driver it still kept those settings. when your NVidia installation starts there should be an option to do a clean install. I think you have to click custom installation instead of quick, then check the box for clean install. That should reset all your Nvidia settings to default.

If you don't want to reinstall windows and the issue keeps happening, You could try clearing or renaming some Appdata folders so applications that you suspect might be causing the issue will need to regenerate all the appdata settings. The fastest way to solve the issue without killing your brain trying to find the settings issue would be to clean install windows after backing up your personal data.

But at least you know its not probably a hardware issue since linux works fine.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v

If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Brighttail
Level 11
Also make sure g-sync is enabled in your nvidia control panel for both windows/non-windowed games. It can get confused outside games.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

I tried G-Sync, I purged the drivers, reinstalled new drivers but the stuttering is the same.
Even if I keep the 4K resolution, without re scaling the issue keeps appearing.

Without any video driver I didn't notice any problem.

rududoo wrote:
I tried G-Sync, I purged the drivers, reinstalled new drivers but the stuttering is the same.
Even if I keep the 4K resolution, without re scaling the issue keeps appearing.

Without any video driver I didn't notice any problem.

so when No nvidia driver at all it seemed to work fine. but as soon as you drop a driver on there is starts up again?

I would say the only other option is to reinstall windows since it would probably be faster than troubleshooting the NVidia driver. After which I would submit a report to NVidia about it and get a tech to maybe take a look into the issue if it still keeps happening with a clean install of windows.

http://nvidia-submit.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia_submit.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php

Tip for reinstalling if you do go that route. If you have a secondary drive or third. Transfer your entire game library for all games to the other drive. Then unplug the drives to make sure you don't wipe them. When the reinstall is done you can move the files back to primary game drive library location and Steam or whatever should pick it back up again and not need to download 500GB of games or whatever you have.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v