cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG XG Station 2 - to stop throttling on GL702VM !

Zandor84
Level 8
Hi all,

3 month's ago I bought a GL702VM.

Owning one was a roller coaster ride so far.

Loving the looks and the screen and suffering from constant heat issues, ASUS support's complete lack of willingness to solve the issue, or to simply admit that there is a problem. Multiple trips to service centres and waiting for weeks to get my laptop back with the issue still present after 2 instances of changing the motherboard.

And following multiple threads on this forum (and trying out all suggestions) that try to offer any workaround for this problem that cripples our otherwise awesome "little" ROG rigs.

So, as far as I understand all our overheating issues would be solved (short of replacing the back cover with one that actually lets our machines breathe) if we used an external graphics card through the TB-3 (USB 3.1/USB-C) port.

As it is clearly the GPU that is overheating (due to insufficient air intake vents!) and because of the common heat sink the CPU heats up with it too.

Keeping all this in mind I would be happy to go for the ASUS ROG XG Station 2 (as soon as I can get my hands on one) and a full size GTX 1070 to hit two birds with one stone, so to upgrade gaming experience and alleviate heat issues.

The only scary thing is that on the official US ROG site ( https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards-Accessory/ROG-XG-STATION-2/ ) in the footnotes at the bottom of the overview page, it says:

*if your notebook supports NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ technology , an external display being connected to ROG XG station 2 is required to utilize the graphics card in ROG XG Station 2.

This, goes without saying, would be an absolute deal breaker for me, as I really like the built in display and the reason for me buying a notebook instead of a full scale PC in the first place, is the lack of space that I have for such things...

However in other geo-specific iterations of the site it does not say such things: https://www.asus.com/sg/Graphics-Cards-Accessory/ROG-XG-STATION-2/overview/

Does anyone know what the deal is with this?

Any help and additional enlightenment welcome.

All the best to all my brethren suffering with the same issues after buying an expensive laptop thinking (based on specs and reviews) that they can enjoy playing with today's titles equally well with this sexy looking machine, as they would be able to with other brand's or models with same specs!
18 REPLIES 18

link626
Level 7
a gtx1070 wouldn't improve your gaming performance anyway.

The thunderbolt port in the 702vm and 502vm is crippled, so you'd be wasting a ton of money on minimal performance gain.

andvoy
Level 7
Hi,

I bought the XG Station 2 and I was really excited to be able to use an external GPU, but my heart sunk when it turned out that the TB3 port on the *02VM is the 20GB one (just as link626 said). I decided to keep the Station for when I might have a laptop with a proper TB3 in the future.

As it turns out my local PC store has a 2 week return policy so I might pick up a GTX1080 just to test it, but I don't expect any major improvements over the 1060 that's in the laptop. As for an external monitor I think with the limited bandwidth of the TB3, that we have, it's a must. If you don't have an external monitor the return signal, to the built in display, will be eating up even more of the bandwidth.

Thanks for the quick replies.

So just to be clear.

No proper gaming on the internal GFX card due to constant thermal throttling and no proper gaming on an external card (internal display) due to the crippled bandwidth of the USB C 3.1 port.

This is utterly unfair and I can't begin to tell you how cheated I feel right now.

Thanks for the enlightenment guys...

Anybody here wanting to buy my 3 month old GL702VM w/ 2 yrs international warranty?

Zandor84 wrote:
Thanks for the quick replies.

So just to be clear.

No proper gaming on the internal GFX card due to constant thermal throttling and no proper gaming on an external card (internal display) due to the crippled bandwidth of the USB C 3.1 port.

This is utterly unfair and I can't begin to tell you how cheated I feel right now.

Thanks for the enlightenment guys...

Anybody here wanting to buy my 3 month old GL702VM w/ 2 yrs international warranty?

I'm very sorry to hear about the overheating issues that you're experiencing with the GL702VM and also the poor RMA experiences, can you PM me with the case ID#s, RMA#s, and product S/N? You should definitely have a properly working laptop. Once I get back the information from you I'll further escalate it to make sure that we get this issue resolved for you as soon as possible. I apologize for the inconveniences caused.

StarJack
Level 11
Can the Thunderbolt 3 issue be solved with a firmware update if ASUS were so inclined? Very disappointed if I'll be unable to use a ROG XG STATION 2 with my GL702VM.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

ASUS-OP
Level 7
Hi Zandor84,

Good news, the said limitation on XG STATION 2 is resolved via the latest Nvidia graphics driver, along side some performance boost. With the new 382.33 driver, you can now:
1. Flexibly use either the integrated or external Nvidia GPU as PhysX while using either notebook or external displays.
2. Able to use the notebook screen as part of the multi-monitor setup when rendering from external GPU.
3. Being able to use FastSync properly on G-SYNC ready notebooks.

Simply go into Nvidia driver and set your notebook GPU to dedicated for Physix, then you should be able to see some difference.

Keep in mind the performance coming from the notebook screen will be massively slower than with external display due to architecture limitation. (similar to what happens with Virtu under i mode.)

regards,

Zandor84 wrote:
Hi all,

3 month's ago I bought a GL702VM.

Owning one was a roller coaster ride so far.

Loving the looks and the screen and suffering from constant heat issues, ASUS support's complete lack of willingness to solve the issue, or to simply admit that there is a problem. Multiple trips to service centres and waiting for weeks to get my laptop back with the issue still present after 2 instances of changing the motherboard.

And following multiple threads on this forum (and trying out all suggestions) that try to offer any workaround for this problem that cripples our otherwise awesome "little" ROG rigs.

So, as far as I understand all our overheating issues would be solved (short of replacing the back cover with one that actually lets our machines breathe) if we used an external graphics card through the TB-3 (USB 3.1/USB-C) port.

As it is clearly the GPU that is overheating (due to insufficient air intake vents!) and because of the common heat sink the CPU heats up with it too.

Keeping all this in mind I would be happy to go for the ASUS ROG XG Station 2 (as soon as I can get my hands on one) and a full size GTX 1070 to hit two birds with one stone, so to upgrade gaming experience and alleviate heat issues.

The only scary thing is that on the official US ROG site ( https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards-Accessory/ROG-XG-STATION-2/ ) in the footnotes at the bottom of the overview page, it says:

*if your notebook supports NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ technology , an external display being connected to ROG XG station 2 is required to utilize the graphics card in ROG XG Station 2.

This, goes without saying, would be an absolute deal breaker for me, as I really like the built in display and the reason for me buying a notebook instead of a full scale PC in the first place, is the lack of space that I have for such things...

However in other geo-specific iterations of the site it does not say such things: https://www.asus.com/sg/Graphics-Cards-Accessory/ROG-XG-STATION-2/overview/

Does anyone know what the deal is with this?

Any help and additional enlightenment welcome.

All the best to all my brethren suffering with the same issues after buying an expensive laptop thinking (based on specs and reviews) that they can enjoy playing with today's titles equally well with this sexy looking machine, as they would be able to with other brand's or models with same specs!

ASUS-OP wrote:
Hi Zandor84,

Good news, the said limitation on XG STATION 2 is resolved via the latest Nvidia graphics driver, along side some performance boost. With the new 382.33 driver, you can now:
1. Flexibly use either the integrated or external Nvidia GPU as PhysX while using either notebook or external displays.
2. Able to use the notebook screen as part of the multi-monitor setup when rendering from external GPU.
3. Being able to use FastSync properly on G-SYNC ready notebooks.

Simply go into Nvidia driver and set your notebook GPU to dedicated for Physix, then you should be able to see some difference.

Keep in mind the performance coming from the notebook screen will be massively slower than with external display due to architecture limitation. (similar to what happens with Virtu under i mode.)

regards,

That sounds great, but as a GL702VMK owner I still wonder if the NVM v4 firmware of the Thunderbolt 3 in these models will allow speeds up to 40GBps required for EGPU use.

StarJack wrote:
That sounds great, but as a GL702VMK owner I still wonder if the NVM v4 firmware of the Thunderbolt 3 in these models will allow speeds up to 40GBps required for EGPU use.

I think it's time someone from ASUS addressed this, it's starting to become a ridiculous case of false advertising if this is indeed true.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

link626
Level 7
most likely it won't.

i know for sure that the GL502vm(k) have the slower thunderbolt chip, and I believe the gl702's do as well.

Firmware will not enable 4 lane pcie speed. The GL#02 series is limited to 2 lane pcie.