Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    126

    well, you'll probably buy a new laptop by the time the gtx1060 is insufficient to play games on High settings.

    An external gpu box + gpu is just an unwise purchase.
    It's super expensive.
    You'll need something greater than a gtx1080ti to see any significant gain.

    You don't get all the pcie lanes of a desktop pc, even if you have the full fat thunderbolt 3 version.
    On top of that, thunderbolt 3 overhead slows it down even more.


    I used to be annoyed at the fact we have a gimped thunderbolt port, but I don't really care anymore.
    The gtx1060 is perfectly sufficient to play games at high and ultra on 1080p monitors, and I don't expect this to change for the next 4 years because of consoles.

    The xbox 360 had a lifespan of 10 years.

    The xbone was released in 2014, and I expect it will go all the way to 2022 before the next xbox is released.
    So game developers can't make pc games that will bring the gtx1060 to it knees, because they design games for consoles first, which have weaker gpus.
    Last edited by link626; 06-18-2017 at 09:12 PM.

  2. #12
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array StarJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Reputation
    42
    Posts
    187

    Quote Originally Posted by link626 View Post
    well, you'll probably buy a new laptop by the time the gtx1060 is insufficient to play games on High settings.

    An external gpu box + gpu is just an unwise purchase.
    It's super expensive.
    You'll need something greater than a gtx1080ti to see any significant gain.

    You don't get all the pcie lanes of a desktop pc, even if you have the full fat thunderbolt 3 version.
    On top of that, thunderbolt 3 overhead slows it down even more.


    I used to be annoyed at the fact we have a gimped thunderbolt port, but I don't really care anymore.
    The gtx1060 is perfectly sufficient to play games at high and ultra on 1080p monitors, and I don't expect this to change for the next 4 years because of consoles.

    The xbox 360 had a lifespan of 10 years.

    The xbone was released in 2014, and I expect it will go all the way to 2022 before the next xbox is released.
    So game developers can't make pc games that will bring the gtx1060 to it knees, because they design games for consoles first, which have weaker gpus.
    thanks for the post, I feel moderately better and a little more accepting, lol.

    Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

  3. #13
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array StarJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Reputation
    42
    Posts
    187

    Quote Originally Posted by link626 View Post
    well, you'll probably buy a new laptop by the time the gtx1060 is insufficient to play games on High settings.

    An external gpu box + gpu is just an unwise purchase.
    It's super expensive.
    You'll need something greater than a gtx1080ti to see any significant gain.

    You don't get all the pcie lanes of a desktop pc, even if you have the full fat thunderbolt 3 version.
    On top of that, thunderbolt 3 overhead slows it down even more.


    I used to be annoyed at the fact we have a gimped thunderbolt port, but I don't really care anymore.
    The gtx1060 is perfectly sufficient to play games at high and ultra on 1080p monitors, and I don't expect this to change for the next 4 years because of consoles.

    The xbox 360 had a lifespan of 10 years.

    The xbone was released in 2014, and I expect it will go all the way to 2022 before the next xbox is released.
    So game developers can't make pc games that will bring the gtx1060 to it knees, because they design games for consoles first, which have weaker gpus.
    You do know Microsoft just announced the Xbox One X at E3, right? Out in November.

    Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by StarJack; 06-20-2017 at 02:33 AM.

  4. #14
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Bran187 PC Specs
    Bran187 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)GL502VMK
    MotherboardMSI Z97 SLI Krait Edition
    Processori7 4790
    Memory (part number)16 GB GSkill DDR3
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1070
    MonitorHP Pavilion 32q
    Storage #1120 GB SSD
    Storage #21TB HDD
    CPU CoolerCM 212
    CaseFractal Define R4
    Power SupplySeasonic 650W
    Keyboard Corsair K55
    Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
    Headset Plantronics Rig
    Mouse Pad Glteck XXL
    OS Windows 10

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Reputation
    15
    Posts
    204

    Quote Originally Posted by StarJack View Post
    You do know Microsoft just announced the Xbox X at E3, right? Out in November.

    Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
    Xbox One X isn't technically a new console generation. Developers will still have to target the Xbox One, in the same way that they still have the target the PS4 even though the PS4 Pro is out. It's more of a mid console generation refresh.

    The 1060 should still be gaming pretty well for at least a few years.

  5. #15
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array StarJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Reputation
    42
    Posts
    187

    Quote Originally Posted by Bran187 View Post
    Xbox One X isn't technically a new console generation. Developers will still have to target the Xbox One, in the same way that they still have the target the PS4 even though the PS4 Pro is out. It's more of a mid console generation refresh.

    The 1060 should still be gaming pretty well for at least a few years.
    so it's like Sega CD? lol.

    Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

  6. #16
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Bran187 PC Specs
    Bran187 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)GL502VMK
    MotherboardMSI Z97 SLI Krait Edition
    Processori7 4790
    Memory (part number)16 GB GSkill DDR3
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1070
    MonitorHP Pavilion 32q
    Storage #1120 GB SSD
    Storage #21TB HDD
    CPU CoolerCM 212
    CaseFractal Define R4
    Power SupplySeasonic 650W
    Keyboard Corsair K55
    Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
    Headset Plantronics Rig
    Mouse Pad Glteck XXL
    OS Windows 10

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Reputation
    15
    Posts
    204

    Quote Originally Posted by StarJack View Post
    so it's like Sega CD? lol.

    Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

    Kinda. lol

  7. #17
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array StarJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Reputation
    42
    Posts
    187

    Quote Originally Posted by Bran187 View Post
    Kinda. lol
    After researching this JHL6240 all I have to say is ugh. I was told by an ASUS rep that I would get 40GBps with a short active cable over the TB3 in my GL702VMK. I am starting to believe I was ripped off. After the plethora of issues/solutions regarding heat in this laptop I am just disgusted with this now to be honest.

    Shame on you ASUS. How about at least responding to the questions regarding this? You've ignored the heat issues and let Onjax's thread take care of that for you, while customers who spent hard earned cash on their laptops drill holes in their cases, undervolt their procs and disable intel turbo to fix stupid engineering mistakes. And now this gimped up JHL6240.

    Ridiculous.

    -StarJack
    Last edited by StarJack; 06-20-2017 at 11:09 PM.

  8. #18
    ROG Member Array Szlain PC Specs
    Szlain PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)GL702VM (and a dead G73JH)
    MotherboardASUS Z87-k
    ProcessorIntel i7 4770k + Intel i7 6700HQ
    Memory (part number)16GB Geil DDR3 + 32GB Corsair DDR4
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte G1 1070
    Graphics Card #2Nvidia GTX 1060
    Sound CardASUS Xonar DG
    MonitorAOC G2460 144hz + DELL WFP 2407
    CPU CoolerCorsair H55
    CaseFractal Define r4
    Power SupplyCorsair CS750M
    Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament + Roccat RYOS MK Pro
    Mouse Logitech G700 + Zowie ZA13
    Headset Superlux hd365
    Mouse Pad Razer Goliathus Control
    Headset/Speakers Logitech z550

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    11

    Quote Originally Posted by StarJack View Post
    After researching this JHL6240 all I have to say is ugh. I was told by an ASUS rep that I would get 40GBps with a short active cable over the TB3 in my GL702VMK. I am starting to believe I was ripped off. After the plethora of issues/solutions regarding heat in this laptop I am just disgusted with this now to be honest.

    Shame on you ASUS. How about at least responding to the questions regarding this? You've ignored the heat issues and let Onjax's thread take care of that for you, while customers who spent hard earned cash on their laptops drill holes in their cases, undervolt their procs and disable intel turbo to fix stupid engineering mistakes. And now this gimped up JHL6240.

    Ridiculous.

    -StarJack
    I agree - it's unacceptable and I feel the same way.

    As customers we have gone over and above what we should have to figure out potential solutions to the overheating when we just should not have had to do so.

    It is misleading to advertise something as a gaming laptop when it overheats to the point that games become unplayable due to thermal throttling stutters, fan noise and fear of exessive wear from sustained 90 degree temperatures.

    Surely one of the requirements to be able to advertise your laptop as TB3 capable is for it to be able to hit the 40gbs bandwidth. I bought this laptop thinking that in 2/3 years I'd get a TB3 dock and add in a nvidia 12 series card or equivalent to extend the life of it a bit. Looks like I should have shopped elsewhere.

    I'll not be recommending ASUS laptops to anyone in future unless there is a drastic change in their approach to design and customer care.

  9. #19
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array StarJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Reputation
    42
    Posts
    187

    Quote Originally Posted by Szlain View Post
    I'll not be recommending ASUS laptops to anyone in future unless there is a drastic change in their approach to design and customer care.
    ..and yet *crickets* from ASUS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •