cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Asus ROG G75VX black screen issue please!

Lolezz008
Level 7
Hello Gamers,
My issue is when I turn on the laptop there is nothing on the built-in display but I know that the machine is working properly because I tried
with an External display (TV with HDMI connection).This happened after I tried to make a "overclocking" via EVGA Precision XOC software and also with some Inter Overclocking thing. When I tested the result (used GPU-Z) during the game started to be laggy,got fps drops and also some black polygons and horizontal stripes appeared for couple seconds. I did a restart and all I got was black screen. 😞 weird...any idea what was happened? 🙂
There is no sign of a GPU fault or similar...maybe the cable or the motherboard or the display itself? Any ideas how to check these things as I don't want to give my baby to any service if possible. Also I don't want to spend money for testing. Just buy a working part instead the faulty one. I disassembled the whole laptop as I had to clean it anyway.
Sorry if it is an existing thread but i could not find any.
Thank you!

the config:
Asus RoG G75VX
Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.4 GHz
2x 8GB DDR3-RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670MX - 3072 MB, Core: 600 MHz, Memory: 1400 MHz, GDDR5,
17.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, AUO B173HW02 V1 (AUO219D), TN LED, Full-HD
8 REPLIES 8

Clintlgm
Level 14
Well is an external monitor works and your screen doesn't, you have a pretty good clue that your GPU is not defective, that leaves you with screen cable and screen if you've had it apart there is a chance of either a connector or cable. after insuring your cable and connectors are not damaged on either end, that will leave you with the screen. Unless you have skill's and tools to test parts In the long run you'll probable be better off having a service handle it for you. Otherwise roll the dice and pick a part and change it see if that works if not your on to the next part.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Hello again,
As I mentioned before the laptop still working with external display via HDMI cable also I use it with TeamViewer to try different methods.
So I plugged an external monitor and booted into window 10 pro and the Geforce Experience had a new driver update and I installed it but what I basically wanted is just to use teamviewer to try to delete couple programs or change drivers etc...as the latest driver has been installed and the teamviewer turned on I just unplugged the HDMI cable and the laptop display suddenly switched ON and worked perfectly. I forgot to mention that the laptop was disassembled before this and I just did put back couple screws and nothing else. So the display was good and I was an idiot as I did not even checked in the windows system which driver working at that moment for the monitor. Anyway, I played a little bit and also checked the temperature and the rest of the sensors for a while. I also moved the lid of the laptop...definately not the cable,not the connector and not the display were faulty...after these I went to sleep and when I woke up couple hours later the laptop was Off which is okay as the power managment did that. I tried to turn the laptop On and I got black screen again but still working with Ext Disp...
After this I flashed the latest bios (released in 2013). It went well but the problem is still up and I just really don't know what to do or what was caused this. Tried to change screen function with FN button...also win button+P and these key combinations without any result.
So does anyone have any idea? Please! 🙂
Sry for my bad grammar.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Get rid of the EVGA software, use DDU to uninstall the Driver, can geforce experience then download and install the current driver. Make sure you do the advanced install and uncheck the geforce experience so it doesnt reinstall it.
Sounds like its a driver/OC utility/config issue turning the display off.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Eleiyas
Level 10
A few things I'd like you to try (if you want):

- try a mechanical LCD test and see if anything happens

- try using the FN+F7 key combination

- try using the FN+F5/F6 key combinations

- while on external display, please try doing a quick Windows recovery

Please reply with your findings 🙂

Thank you for giving me advices guys!
I will try these things..I got rid the OC Util and that EVGA stuff and used DDU to get rid the Nvidia drivers and manually look after the specific one...problem still up.

The FN+F7 and FN+F8 combination had no result. Next will be the Full factory reset (I will put it back to zero) just i have to go to work so I will do it tonight.
I'm just thinking about that the lid magnet sensor could cause problem if it does stuck in closed position even it is opened? That might worth a try to check it I guess.
I took it apart anyway just don't know where to find it. Needless to say CMOS reset done already.Cables still looks fine. Or the videocard might be loose just that much to don't let the display work properly? In that case the ext.screen would not work though,right?

Lolezz008 wrote:

I'm just thinking about that the lid magnet sensor could cause problem if it does stuck in closed position even it is opened? That might worth a try to check it I guess.

That is a good point, it could be causing issues.

As for the mechanical test, I mean putting a bit of physical strength on and around the screen to see if anything happens.

Hi guys again,
So the happening today was that before I went to work I started the Asus Backtracker using ext.display just to see how to start the utility.
It is quite difficult to do anything when you basically blind. 😄 😄 So the point is that this method was unsuccessful too as it is stucked somewhere because when I came home after my 8hour shift the machine was in the same state like I left before.
So my question is that is there any other method which can put back the machine into the original factory state?
Or do I have to get a Win10 boot USB and try to make new partitions and format them manually? ( The original installer disk has been lost)
Also I demagnetized the sensor and does not make the screen working...
So...The show must go on...:D I'm doing further testings. Like totally take it to it's atoms and just reseating the videocard and the cooling pipes but first of all I need to buy proper thermal paste...but I still accept different ideas obviously until this get solved.
At the end of this proccess there is two option...
1, I'll be menthally f@&#d without my gaming laptop...
2, Or an expert of my working gaming laptop.
I vote for the second if it is possible 😄 never give up.
I never gave any of my mobiles or computers or electronic stuffs to any service to repair and I won't breake this now. 😄

Eleiyas@ASUS wrote:
A few things I'd like you to try (if you want):

- try a mechanical LCD test and see if anything happens

- try using the FN+F7 key combination

- try using the FN+F5/F6 key combinations

- while on external display, please try doing a quick Windows recovery

Please reply with your findings 🙂

Can I ask that how do you mean "mechanical LCD test". The LCD just worked fine a day ago until the power managment turned the machine off. After I turned on i got black screen again...So it just gave me a little hope about is not a hardware fault.