cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Deluxe II problem, Dead CPU?

ace7
Level 7
Just happened to me just yesterday. My computer was on over the night. Came back in the morning to find it off, which was odd. Then I tried to start it up, with no progress it just dies after a successful boot.

At the beginning, i though it was a PSU problem, one month earlier, my Corsair PSU broke, and I got a replacement that is working fine.

What I've Tried.

The BIOS was on 1401 when all this happened.
Reflashed bios with BIOS flashback USB.
Changed PSU, still same problem
Tested both PSU's outside the system, Both works.
Cleared CMOS like 100 times.
And tried with one memory stick installed, and switched between the sticks.

Then I tried my CPU on my friends X99 Asus Deluxe II board....same problem...

Im beginning to think X99 motherboards from Asus is killing CPU'S.

Here is a video of the problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUCw3HWo6So&feature=youtu.be

My Specs are:
ASUS X99 Deluxe II Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-6850K (no overclock)
EVGA 1080 GTX FTW (no overclock)
Corsair Vengeance LED 3400Mhz (Running at 2133 MHz) 8GBx4 (32GB)
PSU: Corsair 1200AXi / EVGA BQ 600W (for testing)

Would appreciate any help, Should I RMA the board and CPU ? what if the Board kills another CPU?
6 REPLIES 6

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
The system appears to be shutting down at code AE before handoff, please disconnect all usb devices and retry if not having done so already (admittedly, it looks like very little is connected)
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
The system appears to be shutting down at code AE before handoff, please disconnect all usb devices and retry if not having done so already (admittedly, it looks like very little is connected)

I've already tried that, The machine dies (instant shutdown, no reboot) after a couple of seconds or up to a minute, It does boot into Windows.

Dies in both Windows and in the BIOS/UEFI menu.

Forgot to tell that the temperatures are all god, in the low 30's Celsius.

Here is a two new Videos. One with no USB cables attached. And another one when the computer dies in UEFI menu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj37HyMkw6k

Bios/UEFI Death:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOJsARx7ztM

I've checked my test-bench and other surroundings to check if there is a short somewhere, there is none, also I've Two Asus Deluxe II motherboards at my disposal, and both are experiencing the same Issue.

I've now reseated the CPU, and loosen the screws on the cooler a little bit so the CPU have even mount pressure. Same problems

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Definitely strange. Try disabling fast boot, and also all C-States.

Haha the computer dies before I have time to save the settings...

I manage to do it after a couple of times. Same prob.

Many people are experiencing this issue.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
I honestly don't think they are, this is pretty unique. I noticed you had posted in another thread, that issue is not the same.

If neither of those things help, test outside of the enclosure, if not - request an RMA with support in your region

Hi

Just tried the build outside of my test-bench. Same problems. I will RMA both motherboard and CPU

Does anyone know what is going on with my build?

EDIT: I need a PC for work so I went ahead and bought a MSI Z270 gaming pro with 7700K.
Installed it on my test-bench with the same memory, PSU and graphics as I had in the X99 system.
No problems so far.