cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC wont start after installing new graphics card

Aledjo
Level 7
my pc works correctly when i used it with gtx 680 but i have gotten new g1 gtx 970 graphics card and when i insert the card and powers it my pc lights just flash but wont start.
when i remove the pcie cables, the pc starts and i get info on monitor to power down and plug in the pcie cables. please help me cos i dont know what to do.
my system specs are

i7 3770k
asus maximus v formula
cooler master m850 (rs 850 esba)
5tb hardisk
8gn ram
gigabyte gtx 970
7 REPLIES 7

brkkab123
Level 7
Did you uninstall the old drivers from the GTX680 before installing the gtx 970? Important and must be done as it's a 2 series jump in video cards.
After doing that reinstall the 970 & go into your uefi/bios, load optimized defaults, so it detects the new 970 video card, rechange any other settings you changed previously and press F10 to save and exit. Then redownload the newest video card drivers from Nvidia for your GTX 970 and your o.s. version(Windows 7, Windows 10,Linux, etc.)

FuryA
Level 8
hi Aledjo

hope You can solve

Steps to work around that do something:
Reset the BIOS via unplug/ clr jumpers
Make BIOS Upgrade to the new version
Remove the graphic cards and reinstall including change different slots
as brkkab123 has mentioned uninstall the old drivers from the GTX680 before installing the gtx 970

FuryA@ASUS wrote:
hi Aledjo

hope You can solve

Steps to work around that do something:
Reset the BIOS via unplug/ clr jumpers
Make BIOS Upgrade to the new version
Remove the graphic cards and reinstall including change different slots
as brkkab123 has mentioned uninstall the old drivers from the GTX680 before installing the gtx 970

Why do you think it has something to do with drivers, when the computer doesn't even start? Please explain how you come to a conclusion like that.

emsir wrote:
Why do you think it has something to do with drivers, when the computer doesn't even start? Please explain how you come to a conclusion like that.

Sorry emsir, just explain
The final step , if all steps have done and when it works at OS environment

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
1) What Q-CODE is displayed on the motherboard when the system is powered up with both PCIE cables connected?

2) Try using an alternate output (HDMI/DP)

3) Update to the latest UEFI using USB Flashback

Report back if no change.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

emsir
Level 8
Aledjo wrote:
my pc works correctly when i used it with gtx 680 but i have gotten new g1 gtx 970 graphics card and when i insert the card and powers it my pc lights just flash but wont start.
when i remove the pcie cables, the pc starts and i get info on monitor to power down and plug in the pcie cables. please help me cos i dont know what to do.
my system specs are

i7 3770k
asus maximus v formula
cooler master m850 (rs 850 esba)
5tb hardisk
8gn ram
gigabyte gtx 970

It is you powersupply. Try another powersupply and/or pcie cable. If your computer starts when pcie cable is disconnected and inform you to connect pcie cable....it really points to problem with power to your graphic card. Remember you have to connect 2 6pin pcie cables, and check if they are connected properly (you should hear a click)

Are you absolutely sure that the graphics card is in a working condition? If not, you should try it on another configuration.
Problems with the PSU is also a possibility.

Last year I upgraded from GTX 780 to GTX 1080 - absolutely no problem and the card overclocks well. 🙂