cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best i7 for Hero VII board?

Twelvepak
Level 7
Hi! When I built my last computer, I used a Maximus Hero VII, with an i5 4670K CPU. I think I want to upgrade to an i7, but I don't know which i7 is the best one that is compatible with this motherboard. Is the i7 4790K the best available processor for this board?

Thanks,
10 REPLIES 10

Nate152
Hi Twelvepak

The 4790k is the fastest i7 for your board and is the one I'd choose.

Chino
Level 15

Before I buy, is there much of a noticeable difference in gaming performance between the i7 4790K and the i5 4670K? Just priced an i7 4790K and they are over $400. I'd like to know if the performance difference is worth that much money........

Twelvepak
Level 7
Thank you sirs,

panzlock
Level 12
I wouldn't upgrade from the 4670K to the 4790K. You will see an fps bump but it's not a huge leap, by any means. 5fps maybe. You have a strong and capable chip. I'd save the money and put it towards a worthwhile build. I, for example, went from Sandy Bridge i5-2500K to Skylake i7-6700K.

You should be looking at minimum Kaby Lake or something from AMD but of course that means a new MB in either case so i suggest you wait for further developments which are soon coming.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

Twelvepak
Level 7
Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking after looking at the price tag. I wasn't expecting them to still be at such a steep price tag with recent developments.

panzlock
Level 12
They're expensive because they're still very good chips even when compared to Skylake which supports DDR4. But that makes little difference. And the i7's have hyper-threading, of course. But you should exercise some patience and save for a much better platform.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

Weard_K
Level 7
Best CPU for MH VII - Core i7-5775C Broadwell 14nm in overclock 😉
New Games 2016-2018 will be more and more use Hyper-Threading to the fullest. i5 is dead.

FuryA
Level 8
Twelvepak wrote:
Hi! When I built my last computer, I used a Maximus Hero VII, with an i5 4670K CPU. I think I want to upgrade to an i7, but I don't know which i7 is the best one that is compatible with this motherboard. Is the i7 4790K the best available processor for this board?

Thanks,

i Twel. on the Z/9 series chip platform
You also can upgrade the broadwell which is Core i7 5775C