cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VI Post loop at higher DRAM frequency then 2133mhz

Majesty-nl
Level 7
Hi Everybody,

I bought this motherboard and it seems to have some issues. One of my unsolved issue is:

Cant get the DRAM frequency higher then 2133mhz. When i try to set higher it fails to boot correctly. It loops 3/4 times in post boot and then it stucks
on black screen. Need to clear cmos to reset bios. I do see Qcode 1F. (No info for this Qcode).

What i allready tried:
- Flash bios driver version to 5704
- with 1 RAM module
- with different RAM module (also GSkill)
- manual timing to 16-18-18-38

CPU: AMD Ryzen 1800x
Motherboard: Crosshair V1 Hero
RAM: G.Skill 16 GB DDR4-3200 Kit (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR, Trident Z RGB)
Cooling: NZXT Kraken x62
PSU: CoolerMaster V750

Anyone any suggestion? Thanks
17 REPLIES 17

Menthol
Level 14
Majesty_nl,
I can't say from first hand experience as I don't own a Ryzen setup but from all the reviews every board has issues with memory over clocks and the CH6 over clocks memory better than any other board and Gskill is going to release memory specifically for this platform. I would start by updating the bios and read the guide
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91368-AMD-OC-guide-thread

I was going to make a thread about this, but I may as well just post here.

Having the exactly same issues with my memory kit.

GeIL EVO X 16GB DDR4-3000 GEX416GB3000C15ADC

My guess is that these early bios version don't have full memory support for these kits yet. I'd just give it some time for newer bioses to come out to improve memory compatibility. Im currently running my memory settings on the default "auto" and everything is stable. Once ASUS improve the bios, im sure we'll be able to get our kits to run closer to their rated speeds.

Make sure you are using DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2 (I think they are supposed to be more stable in general).

I was able to run G.Skill F4-3200C14D-32GVK (2x16 GB; 3200; CL14; Dual Ranked) @ 2666 MHz stable for some time with 14-14-14-34 timings on 5704 and 5803 - the last time before my C6H bricked it didn't boot with this though, but this could be related to the broken board.

im on 5803 and i've tried every combination of memory slot, and nothing is stable except the default "auto" settings.

BoMbY wrote:
Make sure you are using DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2 (I think they are supposed to be more stable in general).

I was able to run G.Skill F4-3200C14D-32GVK (2x16 GB; 3200; CL14; Dual Ranked) @ 2666 MHz stable for some time with 14-14-14-34 timings on 5704 and 5803 - the last time before my C6H bricked it didn't boot with this though, but this could be related to the broken board.

Thanks all.. i allready have the RAM in A2 and B2...

G Skilss website says: 16-18-18-38-2N / Should i try your 14-14-14-34 ???

i will give it a try with bios version 5803 in max few hours. Hope the mobo wont be bricked.

Menthol wrote:
Majesty_nl,
I can't say from first hand experience as I don't own a Ryzen setup but from all the reviews every board has issues with memory over clocks and the CH6 over clocks memory better than any other board and Gskill is going to release memory specifically for this platform. I would start by updating the bios and read the guide
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91368-AMD-OC-guide-thread

Thanks, i allready reading all forms and guides... It would be stupid that only the new Gskill RAM will work with this mobo on higher RAM freqs.
Hopefully quick bios updates will fix these issues.. The Mobo is really nice but never had so many issues with a board before 😞

I know this is a new platform, but I've also never experienced so many issues with memory before. If bios updates do not resolve these issues, then AMD have really dropped the ball as far as memory support is concerned. I've got 14 days to return my GeIL memory for a full refund, so I intend to look for a memory kit that works properly.

My board showed the exact same behaviour before it broke though the RAM I used (F4-3200C14D-16GTZKW) is listed in the QVL. There was no way to get it to POST above the defaults. Had to clear CMOS each time.

AndehX wrote:
I know this is a new platform, but I've also never experienced so many issues with memory before. If bios updates do not resolve these issues, then AMD have really dropped the ball as far as memory support is concerned. I've got 14 days to return my GeIL memory for a full refund, so I intend to look for a memory kit that works properly.

all platforms do have the same problems. ASUS did probarly sell the most mobos, thats why we see it more often. Maybe it has more to do with AMD then ASUS ...