cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to overclock or is RAM not working?

MustKillBill
Level 7
Hello forum,

First of all, sorry if im posting in the wrong section. Yesterday I finished my first ever build. The RAM cards were the last thing to get deliver. Here is a list of some of my specs:

• Intel i5-7600k
  • EVGA GTX 1060 FTW+
  • Maximus Hero IX
  • DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ (x2 8GB) F4-3200C16D-16GTZSK

The problem I have encountered is the following:

First I inserted both RAM cards into DIMM A2 and B2 as it states you should in the manual (page 1-5), then I hit the power button and the computer booted with everything working properly except the RAM, I got error code "55" on the motherboard which means; "Memory not installed". After multiple attempts of moving them around I decided to take one of the cards out and test them individually. I connected one of the cards into DIMM_A1 and booted the system and the computer ran perfectly and got the display to finally work. Then I shut down the computer and swapped the cards and I kept getting the same error code "55" on the other card. I then swapped them out again and am currently running on just that one 8GB RAM card.

My question is:

I read in the forum of people having similar problems and their solutions being overclocking the RAM Cards since they come stock for Z170 motherboards and not Z270 which is what I have. Would that be the same problem that I have with that card or is it just a faulty card?

I'm new at this and sorry if I focused anything, if you need further clarification please do let me know.

Thank you!
12 REPLIES 12

Nate152
Hi MustKillBill

Welcome to the ROG forum.

It sounds like it could be a faulty stick.

With both sticks installed try clearing the cmos, if that doesn't help try updating the bios.

At the top of the Dram Timing Control page you could try Maximus Tweak Modes 1 and 2.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi MustKillBill

Welcome to the ROG forum.

It sounds like it could be a faulty stick.

With both sticks installed try clearing the cmos, if that doesn't help try updating the bios.

At the top of the Dram Timing Control page you could try Maximus Tweak Modes 1 and 2.

Hi Nate,

Thank you for the response!

The BIOS is updated to the latest version.

I tried those Tweaks already, I also set it to XMP and adjusted the voltage to 1.35 and changed the timing to 16-18-18-38 but none of that worked.

Every time I boot, I keep getting the Error 55.

Nate152
All right,

Try setting your ram manually instead of using XMP. In the bios reset to defaults and set the ai overclock tuner to manual, set the Dram Frequency, the Dram voltage and enter in your timings.

You may need to raise the cpu system agent voltage and cpu vccio voltage a little, try them both at 1.15v - 1.20v.

I'll try all of that.

If that doesn't work, then it definitely means the RAM stick is faulty?

Nate152
I would think so, if none of that helps then I think you nailed it by testing one stick at a time.

Nate152 wrote:
I would think so, if none of that helps then I think you nailed it by testing one stick at a time.

Nate,

So I tried your suggestion and it didn't work. When I boot the computer it alternates between Q-Codes 01 and 03.

When on Q-Code 01 (Power on. Reset type detection (soft/hard)) - the DRAM LED is on.

When on Q-Code 03 (System Agent initialization before microcode loading) - the CPU LED is on.

It stays switching between the two. What do you think?

Nate152
I think with testing one stick at a time and one of them not working points to a faulty ram stick.

Okay perfect. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem with the motherboard or anything else. I will return them ASAP. I've heard Newegg's RAM sticks are not the best.

Thank you for all of your help.