Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z170 PRO GAMING - A few questions

Mefu720
Level 7
MOBO: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K (No OC yet)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x4GB, 3000MHz, CL15) (Currently on 2133MHz)
PSU: Cooler Master G550M (550W, Modular, 80+ Bronze)
SSD: GoodRam Iridium Pro (240GB)
HDD1: Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C (1TB, 7,2KRPM)

I just ordered a new HDD, RAM and GPU. The HDD is Toshiba P300 Performance (1TB, 7,2KRPM), GPU is Asus GeForce GTX 1070 ROG Strix, and RAM is the same as that one that I currently have, just another 2x4GB to make it 4x4GB.

My MOBO was damaged from the start and I had to send it back. They repaired it and send it back, now it works but there's one problem. Every time after the first boot and using my PC for around 30 min. I'll get a bluescreen. Only those errors shows up:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION win32k.sys
INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED ndis.sys
KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED ntfs.sys

I "bypassed" this, after the first boot I just do some random stuff like quickly switching photos, reboot and now the problem is gone for good. No crashes, no bluescreens, no freezes, just works flawlessly.

Anyway, now that I'm getting all of this stuff, and the MOBO is only Dual-Channel, do I need to install [THIS]? To make my 4x4 work? And if yes how do I install it? Via system or BIOS? And should i update the BIOS to 3202? I'm currently on 1904 and I have never updated BIOS all by myself, but it shouldn't be much of a problem.
5 REPLIES 5

Nate152
Hello Mefu720

Welcome to the ROG forum.

"This" is just a QVL list you don't have to install it. It's not wise to mix and match memory kits here is why...

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57038-Don%92t-combine-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-o...

Sometimes mixing kits of the same specs does work but it's not worth taking the chance, you may need to raise the cpu system agent voltage and cpu vccio voltage 1.15v - 1.20v and the Dram voltage up to 1.40v to achieve stability.

Yea I'll need to think about it more. I was told that they should work with no problems for like 75% which got me good. I still have some time to cancel the order, but this will hit my wallet hard, so I need to think about it

And besides, what should I do with my second problem? The bluescreen and BIOS one

Nate152
So you're getting blue screens with only 2x4GB sticks installed ?

Try resetting to defaults and updating the bios, refer to your manual for bios update instructions.

Yes, on 2x4. Will do soon. And yet another thing, my CPU fan seems to be way too slow, can I adjust this in BIOS? I didn't really lurked there, just changed the boot order and that's all.

Nate152
Yes, you can set a fan profile for your cpu fan.

If it's a pwm fan you can have it controlled by the cpu temp.