cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sabertooth X99 vs Rampage V Edition 10

Zka17
Level 16
Hello folks,

Long time since I've been here... and long time since I have been playing with cool hardware! I've got stuck at the X79 level and now would need some help stepping up a little bit... I am thinking X99 - but don't really know too much about it, specially regarding compatibilities. I thought I could ask...

So, this is what I need: 8 cores (at least 3GHz), 64GB RAM and superfast storage.
This is what I came up so far: Intel Core i7-6900k; GSkill Ripjaws V 8x8GB, 3000GHz, C14, 1.35V (F4-3000C14Q2-64GVK); Samsung 960 Pro 512GB.

I am trying to figure out the motherboard... the Sabertooth X99 and Rampage V Edition 10 are in the game,,,
Sabertooth X99: Really like the look of it and certainly could appreciate the anti-dust plugs. 5 year warranty also sounds good. Concerns are regarding the memories (can this board handle the above mentioned ones?) and the heat produced by the SSD.
Rampage V Edition 10: It is black (very good!), not so protected, less warranty. Also the placement of the SSD would be in more open space which may address my concern regarding the heat. Certainly don't need the RGB things, but I am attracted by the ROG products. I have a feeling that would handle the memories better...

I want the new system for work and pleasure, stability is a major factor. I may try to push the CPU a little bit (max 4GHz - for old times sake), the memories would run at XMP. The CPU would be under water cooling (3x120mm radiator, custom loop), but the ambient temps may go occasionally high.

Regarding the graphics cards, I have not decided yet... I will use two of them for sure. I have two Titans (older models), but I may upgrade them - will see... Also have Seasonic 1250W PSU. The 960 Pro is for the OS and some software, additional storage will be added later. The case isn't a big deal now, first I need to test and experiment the system - can do it on a test bench.

I would be grateful for suggestions, shared experiences... Which motherboard worth the trust?
Thanks in advance!
24 REPLIES 24

Heini
Level 11
I like my Z-170 Sabertooth plenty! For your needs I'd suggest a TUF Z270. I've had ROG and Sabertooth boards for years and will stick with the TUF/Sabertooth boards boards from now on. ROG boards are for bells & whistles and/or more extreme OC'rs.

Zka17
Level 16
Thanks, Heini! Do we have 8 core CPU for the Z270 platform?

If you can wait, I'd tough it out until X299 is released later this year. *If I myself couldn't wait, I would opt for an Asus X99-E WS:*https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1163658&gclid=COP0qYbAyNICFYe2wAodoOYBkw&is=...

Zka17
Level 16
Hm... X299? Doesn't sounds too bad... How sure it is that will happen?
Also have been looking at the X99-E WS - it is OK, but that's it. Doesn't make me fell any different... you know what I mean?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

Menthol
Level 14
Zka17,
Been a long time, good to see you here again. Hope all is going well for you
X299 should be here in August
I am not familiar with the Sabertooth but the RVE10 would be preferred X99 board, best memory Gskill Trident Z or Ripjaw V, 3200mhz 14-14-14 (Samsung B-die) are the best memory kits, if you want 64GB get the 8X8GB kits as the ASUS boards give more bandwidth filling all memory slots, also these kits can run at 3400mhz on this platform very easily with massive amounts of bandwidth
Most 3000mhz kits XMP profile sets blck to 125, while not a bad thing, you cannot use adaptive cpu voltage except at 100 blck, adaptive voltage is preferred so voltage scales with cpu frequency, low voltage on idle, adaptive also works very well for overclocking

Samsung 960 Pro are very fast drives and need some airfow to keep from throttling due to heat if the drive is under heavy load for extended periods

Zka17
Level 16
Hey guys! Really nice to see you again!
Everything is fine here - just kinda out of ROG... but Menthol's comments bringing me back... Do you have a particular 3200 kit in mind?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
F4-3200C14Q-32GVK

Or 64GB equivalent.

Intel X99 is most polished high core system....but going to be replaced soon enough

Ryzen is new and unpolished but going places....and great value....maybe Ryzen and wait for X299....

Zka17
Level 16
Thanks, Arne! Checking it now...
As exciting as the new X299 sounds, I'm not sold yet on it... for the same reason I'm not sold on the Ryzen too - a lot of optimization will need for those...
"Intel X99 is most polished high core system" - that's what I need now!