cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS Corrupt after updating through Windows utility - how to reflash?

Lintrix
Level 7
I should have known better but I thought I could trust the Asus Bios flashing utility for Windows to update the bios last night. After updating the system refused to boot and showed a F9 code which was missing recovery media. I attempted to insert the Asus CD because it contains a copy of the BIOS but all it does is read the CD, then cycles through and continually reboots. I also attempted to use the USB method by downloading the latest BIOS, renaming it to C6H.CAP and put it on a USB drive in FAT32. I pressed the BIOS Flash button for three seconds until it starts to flash but it flashes a few times and then lights up solid with no response. Maybe I had inserted the USB drive on the wrong USB Port? I didn't find anywhere or any markings which USB Port is dedicated to USB Bios Flash.

Lastly I attempted to just boot the computer with the USB hooked up. It finally gave a ASUS splash screen (is that good news?) and instructing me to press F2 or DEL to enter setup. I keep pressing F2 or DELETE buttons but it is unresponsive. The BIOS has not been flashed at this point because if I remove the USB and attempt to restart the computer, it will throw the F9 again after failing to find a BIOS file.

At this point I feel like I need to ask someone that has experience in my situation on what I can do to get the BIOS to flash - either through built in recovery or the USB Flash button.....
7 REPLIES 7

Kobura
Level 7
BIOS flashback port is the same as on this one:

Second USB row, first column.

Thanks for the pic!! Unfortunately that is exactly the port i used to insert my USB flash drive..... I made sure that it was named correctly and it is in FAT32. Is it ok if the flash drive had other files on it? Does it need to only exclusively contain the C6H.CAP file and nothing else?

you can flash with other files on the drive. I did that and it worked fine for me.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Best to have a clean USB pen...maybe use diskpart....

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46802-please-i-need-help-with-Rampage-Extreme-iv&p=398383&...

Thank you for the post. I went out and bought a generic 16GB flash drive and followed your formatting steps. The BIOS flashed successfully!!! Thank you!

Lintrix wrote:
The BIOS flashed successfully!!!

Good stuff! 😄

JustinThyme
Level 13
just for future reference if the MOBO connect button flashes then stops the possibilities are limited.
Faulty USB drive(including improper format), wrong naming of the file or its plugged into the wrong port.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein