cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Core i7 7700k can hold 4 years from now for gaming?

PapagaioPB
Level 7
Hello Everybody!!

I am hold my upgrade waiting Asus Launch the Crosshair VI Formula, but maybe asus daley too long for me, i am use a PC 99% of the time to gaming, you guys think a Core i7 7700k can hold a good game performance for 4 years from now?

Now I am planing to get Core i7 7700k + ROG MAXIMUS IX Formula.
11 REPLIES 11

kkn
Level 14
yes it will.

AMD have plans whit CPU refresh just like they did whit the AM3+ ( this is what i am guessing ) since they said the nect CPU's are going to suport AM4 socket.

Chino
Level 15
PapagaioPB wrote:
you guys think a Core i7 7700k can hold a good game performance for 4 years from now?

Definately. 🙂

PapagaioPB wrote:

That's an awesome combination. I have the same CPU and motherboard. 🙂

JustinThyme
Level 13
PapagaioPB wrote:

Thats what Im running with 2x 1080 strix cards! Beast of a machine for a 4 core CPU. Im waiting for the skypake x and x299 to hit the market.

The 7700K is proving to be a great performer and decent overclocker. Got mine to 5.2 Ghz after a delid and liquid cooling.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Thank you for your opinion guys!

Chino wrote:
Definately. 🙂

That's an awesome combination. I have the same CPU and motherboard. 🙂

I glad to hear that.

JustinThyme wrote:
Thats what Im running with 2x 1080 strix cards! Beast of a machine for a 4 core CPU. Im waiting for the skypake x and x299 to hit the market.

The 7700K is proving to be a great performer and decent overclocker. Got mine to 5.2 Ghz after a delid and liquid cooling.

Your overclock is beast, i dont have the skills to delid, :), but i think i can get 5GHz with my AIO Corsair H110i v2.

Vlada011 wrote:
Better buy 1700X and Crosshair 6 Hero. If you want long lifetime than only Intel X and AMD AM4.
For Intel better wait new socket and chipset for Skylake-E and Kaby Lake-E or invest in AMD AM4.
1800X is best option. I look on marketplace, if something nice show up, Crosshair with 2x 16GB is mine.
People like i7-7700K because he could run on 5.0GHz with watercooling as no one could reach so high frequency.
But for me are more important multi threded performance except if single threded are very slow.

Yes, This is disturb me, I would like at least a six core, but I really want a ROG Formula motherboard. But like the posting from our friends above I think for game, four core still is very good, and in the end of 2017 i am planing to get a 4k TV to connect to my PC, and how more is the resolution less the need for more CPU.

Vlada011
Level 10
Better buy 1700X and Crosshair 6 Hero. If you want long lifetime than only Intel X and AMD AM4.
For Intel better wait new socket and chipset for Skylake-E and Kaby Lake-E or invest in AMD AM4.
1800X is best option. I look on marketplace, if something nice show up, Crosshair with 2x 16GB is mine.
People like i7-7700K because he could run on 5.0GHz with watercooling as no one could reach so high frequency.
But for me are more important multi threded performance except if single threded are very slow.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I'd have a serious look at AMD myself. If you are doing 1080p gaming and not much else then sure 7700K is going to serve you well for a good while.

However things are going to move forward and games might well start to take advantage of more cores and AMD give you a lot of cores for a real good price and also good for a whole lot more computing tasks too. For 4K gaming, any advantage 7700K has is already eaten away...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I'd have a serious look at AMD myself. If you are doing 1080p gaming and not much else then sure 7700K is going to serve you well for a good while.

However things are going to move forward and games might well start to take advantage of more cores and AMD give you a lot of cores for a real good price and also good for a whole lot more computing tasks too. For 4K gaming, any advantage 7700K has is already eaten away...

You have a great point indeed. For future proof a 8 core CPU is the best logical option, but i need that the Core i7 7700k be able to maintain a good gaming performance for next 4 years, I am planing my next upgrad in 2021 and like probable i move for 4k game and of the year i think a 4 core CPU can handle it, i see in many test that even with a TITAN X the difference betwen the montes Core i7 6950 and a simple dual core like Core i3 have minimum or none in 4k gaming.

PapagaioPB wrote:
You have a great point indeed. For future proof a 8 core CPU is the best logical option, but i need that the Core i7 7700k be able to maintain a good gaming performance for next 4 years, I am planing my next upgrad in 2021 and like probable i move for 4k game and of the year i think a 4 core CPU can handle it, i see in many test that even with a TITAN X the difference betwen the montes Core i7 6950 and a simple dual core like Core i3 have minimum or none in 4k gaming.

4k@60fps on ultra settings is possible with in certain titles with a 1080ti and 7700k. *More than 4 cores will give you more performance down the line, but 4c/8t processors will be still be playable as well. * By the time 4c isn't viable, we should all be on 8+.

Also I just want to add that this whole discussion might be pointless as humanity is currently scratching at the door of quantum computing

*http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/03/quantum-computer-learns-see-trees