cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prime X370-Pro No boot/post or beeps

timmahw
Level 7
At my wit's end here. Thought I would give AMD a try after almost 20 years and splurged on a new Ryzen build. Put everything together, hit the power button, no dice. Fans spin, pretty LEDs on the mobo light up; no video, no beeps, nothing. How I got here:

1. Replaced PSU with known working spare.
2. Cycled RAM in all slots.
3. Pulled everything out of the case.
4. Replaced the MOBO. (Exchange from retailer)
5. Replaced the dang internal speaker.
6. Checked CPU pins (repeatedly).
7. Reseated CPU (repeatedly).
8. Cried myself to sleep.
9. Dreamt I found the answer and woke up depressed.
10. Resorted to asking Reddit for help.
11. Asking you fine people for help.

System Configuration:

Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO
CPU: AMD Ryzen 1800X
Memory: Patriot Viper 16GB PC4-21300
GPU: 2x(EVGA GTX 1080)
PSU: Rosewill "Hive" 850w
Cooler: Corsair H110i AIO

My goal in troubleshooting has been to just get the thing to give me beep codes at least, so I have not installed the VGA or hard disks. Because the manual (yes..) specifies beep codes in the event of no memory found, I have concluded that the issue is not the RAM due to the fact that I still get no beeps even when no RAM is installed.

I am left with the possibility of a defective retail CPU, which I have never actually seen happen, or maybe it has something to do with mounting pressure? (Saw a few threads about that.) Have I missed something?
15 REPLIES 15

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Are any codes showing on the QCode LEDs...are any of the board LEDs lighting? (not the pretty ones...the useful debug ones)

Make sure cooler is not over tightened...make sure 8pin atx power and 24 pin are well seated and fully populated...

Try bare minimum on box install...one stick of RAM in A2 one drive...one gpu

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Do you have a speaker connected? One is required to hear any beep codes.

brkkab123
Level 7
You need a hard disk/ssd plugged in. You need a keyboard & mouse plugged in. If the mobo doesn't have onboard video, you need to install the video card and plug a monitor in. Without all that done the pc won't work.

I have a speaker, which I also replaced just in case. Regarding qcodes, it does not appear my board (Prime x370-pro) has this feature. I went through the typical steps such as removing from chassis, minimum ram config, and trying a known working PSU. I appreciate the responses.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Sorry..yeah seems there is no qcode on that MB...I thought this was standard these days..

Is clear RTC jumper in correct position?

The cooler backplate mounted correctly...not contacting anything on back of board...double check everything basically...

The RTC pins have no jumper (neither MOBOs had a jumper), but I used one I had on hand to short them. The cooler has no backplate. 😞

I did find one thing.. a couple people have reviewed the board as "ASUS shipped this with the wrong bios." Both boards I've tried had the same BIOS (0404). Would this BIOS version keep a Ryzen from working?

timmahw wrote:
The RTC pins have no jumper (neither MOBOs had a jumper), but I used one I had on hand to short them. The cooler has no backplate. 😞

I did find one thing.. a couple people have reviewed the board as "ASUS shipped this with the wrong bios." Both boards I've tried had the same BIOS (0404). Would this BIOS version keep a Ryzen from working?

You did most of the troubleshooting already. Did you ever change the CPU? Usually, if it is no power with 2 motherboards, it means it is another component having issues like the CPU. If you swap PSU, it means PSU works. No grounding issues.
Sincerely,
Legolas

Thanks everyone for the help. I have identified the issue.

Indeed, the BIOS version shipped with my board (0404) is not compatible with Ryzen CPUs. The Asus tech recommended I use another CPU, compatible with 0404, to update the BIOS. Asus just lost a customer for life.

timmahw wrote:
Thanks everyone for the help. I have identified the issue.

Indeed, the BIOS version shipped with my board (0404) is not compatible with Ryzen CPUs. The Asus tech recommended I use another CPU, compatible with 0404, to update the BIOS. Asus just lost a customer for life.

Compatible with 0404

WTF is 0404? and that answer lol?