Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Tried the RAM boot voltage at 1.35 and it's the same... stuck at 0d code after a few seconds. Also upped the RAM voltage a little bit, it didn't help. I'm seriously thinking on returning the RAM and get one of those new Flair X kits from G.Skill as soon as they are available.

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

If you're looking for an easier ride, I'd opt for a more conservative memory kit. High-performance kits can need a lot of work to get stable. The alternative is to accept a lower operating point and be happy with it.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I'm just expecting what I've just tried: I opened my Asus Z-170I Pro Gaming rig, removed the memory and installed the RAM I bought for the Ryzen. So I enter the BIOS, just choose the correct XMP profile and BAM! It boots fine with the correct voltage and CAS settings. I entered Windows, checked CPU-Z and it's correct: 3200 Mhz 14-14-14-38, it just works out of the box... as it should, without "a lot of work to get stable". That's what I was expecting from the Crosshair VI board and Ryzen CPU.

I know Ryzen and AM4 are still a very immature platform, so my simple question is: with further BIOS updates, can we expect this kind of simplicity and functionality from the C6H when using appropiate AM4 certified DRAM, even at 3200 and higher speeds? I just want to run the RAM at the speed and settings it's rated for, like it works on the Z-170 board. That's all.
    Last edited by Juanlo_; 03-14-2017 at 08:33 PM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array MNMadman PC Specs
    MNMadman PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi)
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen R7 2700X
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GTZRX 2x8GB
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia TITAN Xp Jedi Order Collectors Edition
    MonitorAcer XB270HU 27" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 2TB NVMe
    CPU CoolerCustom Liquid Cooling Loop
    CasePrimoChill Praxis WetBench White/Black
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000i
    Keyboard Logitech G Pro
    Mouse Logitech G Pro
    Headset Logitech G633
    Mouse Pad Logitech G440
    OS Windows 10 Pro 1803

Quote Originally Posted by Juanlo_ View Post
    I'm just expecting what I've just tried: I opened my Asus Z-170I Pro Gaming rig, removed the memory and installed the RAM I bought for the Ryzen. So I enter the BIOS, just choose the correct XMP profile and BAM! It boots fine with the correct voltage and CAS settings. I entered Windows, checked CPU-Z and it's correct: 3200 Mhz 14-14-14-38, it just works out of the box... as it should, without "a lot of work to get stable". That's what I was expecting from the Crosshair VI board and Ryzen CPU.

I know Ryzen and AM4 are still a very immature platform, so my simple question is: with further BIOS updates, can we expect this kind of simplicity and functionality from the C6H when using appropiate AM4 certified DRAM, even at 3200 and higher speeds? I just want to run the RAM at the speed and settings it's rated for, like it works on the Z-170 board. That's all.
    You might be able to get that from Ryzen and the Crosshair VI board ... some months in the future. It might not be that easy, but it will be a lot easier than it is now.

Sounds like you aren't the "early adopter" type. Remember that for next time and wait a few months on a new platform.

ROG Member Array

So I'm guessing the 0902 on the official site still has the fan issue?

Also am I completely missing the location of command rate in the bios?

I also find it interesting that if I run my 850 evo in the m.2 slot and I up base clock I loose it from the system, but if I run it in a sata adaptor it works fine at any speed.
    Last edited by StarfireX; 03-14-2017 at 10:40 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by MNMadman View Post
    You might be able to get that from Ryzen and the Crosshair VI board ... some months in the future. It might not be that easy, but it will be a lot easier than it is now. Sounds like you aren't the "early adopter" type. Remember that for next time and wait a few months on a new platform.
    I'm not pretending to be earlier adopter than anyone here... I just expect things to work as they are advertised, like they do on Intel platforms, where you don't need to be lucky and get a "special" CPU that can tolerate some kind of memory settings. And I'm ready to wait, that's why I'm asking if it's better to return the memory and get another one certified for Ryzen, if it can help with the motherboard. I don't mind running my memory at 2133 Mhz for a few weeks or even months, but as I can return it to the shop, I would like to know if it's worth do it and get the new memory for AM4. I'm not sure if currently the C6H is compatible with AMP profiles, or if it will support them in the future.

And if someone can give me an advice besides the settings I've already tried, I'm all ears and ready to try any suggestion.

ROG Enthusiast Array

@Early adopters stuff:
    Where were you when X99 was new? They were plagued by the same RAM problems. So Intel is no point better on this end

Quote Originally Posted by StarfireX View Post

I also find it interesting that if I run my 850 evo in the m.2 slot and I up base clock I loose it from the system, but if I run it in a sata adaptor it works fine at any speed.

Yes, 0902 is the same as the one that got posted here already.

Command Rate is tied to RAM speed. Lower RAM speeds will give you 1T back.

The M.2 slot runs directly at the CPU, thus is affected by the BCLK directly. The PCIe slot might be on the X370 chipset and thus being regulated by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Juanlo_ View Post

It may happen, and it also may not. Any time you get near the top-end of what a platform can do, expecting it all to be plug-and-play, is unrealistic. On top of that, one doesnt really need to buy "fast memory". Money is best spent elsewhere from a system performance perspective. I always urge plug-and-play mindsets like yours to be a lot more conservative.

Even on Intel, taking the Z270 platform as an example, it's rated at 4133 and 4266 on some boards, but, certain combos of parts (including the CPUs) can only do 3600. One needs to understand that everything has limits. AMD simply has more at this time as we cannot adjust everything to help margin. That said, the adjustments I speak of aren't best suited to plug-and-play users as they take a lot of time to work through and the gains are variable.

Quote Originally Posted by StarfireX View Post

1) 0902 is 0902, no matter where we provide it. Once we designate a number to a BIOS version, it isn't changed just because it's downloadable on the support page or some other portal. The fan control issues are known and will be patched in a future update. Right now, while the fan control stuff doesn't work well on 0902, its better than risking a bricked board on an earlier build.

2) Command Rate isn't available for direct adjustment yet in UEFI. Limitations of AMD's microcode. Once they open this stuff up (if ever), we can offer it. Given the current limitations on the memory side, I'd advise people lower their expectations on what can be achieved by this platform on average.

3) Bus speeds change as you alter the ref clock, so some devices won't be stable.

-Raja

ROG Enthusiast Array AndehX PC Specs
    AndehX PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Latitude E6230
    MotherboardASUS Crosshair VI Hero
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 1700
    Memory (part number)CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Premier Pack Edition 8192MB
    MonitorDELL S2716DG
    Storage #1Intel 600P 256GB M.2 SSD
    Storage #2Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB HDD
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100
    CaseCorsair Air 540
    Power SupplyEnermax Revolution85+ 850W
    Keyboard Corsair K75 RGB MX Brown
    Mouse Finalmouse 2015 Summer edition
    Headset Audio Technica ATH-AD500X / Astro Mixamp 2016
    Mouse Pad Mionix Sargas 400
    OS Windows 10 64bit

So i turn my system on today and now it will not boot with any custom overclock settings at all. Even though just last night i had it running perfectly fine with a 3.8 overclock 110 BCLK, increased voltages for CPU and DRAM. Everything was fine. I even cold booted it a couple of times and it booted every time.
    But i switch it on this morning when i wake up and BAM, nothing. Stuck on error code 55. Other times it will stop on random codes like 0d and 8, but most of the time it's 55....
    I seriously have no idea what is going on. Is this motherboard sensitive to daylight or something?

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast