cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using 2 kits of RAM on RVE10 issues?

xthane
Level 7
Hello, I've been having a strange issue for the past few months where randomly during game playing, my PC will completely shut down. And when trying to power back on, it will turn on for a second and power off. I have to cycle through flipping PSU switch, unplugging PSU, clearing CMOS multiple times in order to get it to boot. Happening both with and without overclock. Temps are all low and fine. CPU 40C's and GPU 50C's during load.

Now, what I'm wondering is if the issue could be related to using 2 identical kits of (2x8GB) DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platnium (Model: CMD16GX4M2B3000C15). I am currently trying to run memtest on single DIMMS but am getting the shut down at 13-ish minutes (happened twice now with 2 separate DIMMS, timings, voltage, and speeds are all default in the BIOS). So I am not sure if the ram itself is the issue not being compatible with the Rampage V Edition 10, or if my board is bad, or cpu, or PSU. Any advice on the ram or in general would be appreciated.

Specs are:
i7 6900k
32GB (2 x 2x8GB kits)
Samunsg 950 m.2
GTX 1080
Corsair AX860i
4 REPLIES 4

Chino
Level 15
Combining memory kits is never a good idea. That can be the cause of your problem. Nevertheless, you shouldn't discard a faulty stick being the culprit either. Testing each stick individually is a good start.

Are you testing each stick on the default speed or advertised speed? Which memtest are you using and how are you setting it up?

xthane
Level 7
I've now attempted to test 3 separate sticks of ram and I've gotten a complete shut down around 13-15min on each stick. After it shuts off, it attempts to turn back on on its own but just shuts off completely. BIOS is all default, so the RAM is running default speed and timings. I am using Memtest 7.2 13 but I can try using the latest which is 1 version up from what I currently am using. I am booting from F8, and selecting the flash drive itself which displays the blue classic theme test. When trying to use the UEFI boot option, the test freezes at 16% every time.

Chino
Level 15

xthane
Level 7
I'm suspecting it's something more serious than the memtest if my system is completely shutting down after 13-15 mins of running the memtest.

Update: I removed the sleeved extensions that I have for my 24pin, 6+8pin PCI-E for GPU, 8 Pin and 4 pin CPU and managed to run memtest for 30 minutes on one DIMM (no errors). Now testing a second DIMM.

Update 2: Ran memtest on all 4 modules individually for ~30min each with no issues when switching to using just the stock Corsair power cables. It was running fine and all. Even played BF1 for an hour last night. Randomly just now while watching a YouTube video, it shut off, turned back on for a second and powered back off completely.

Seems like this is more commonly able to be replicated when I'm running a memtest (around 13 minutes in) after it starts happening again.