cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Update Bios on Maximus IX (March 2017)

shiney
Level 8
Hello: *I have a Maximus IX setup new just a month ago and there is a bios update that just came out a few days ago. I haven't seen any patch notes to say what the update does and whether it's needed. *Does anyone know anything about it, and do you suggest updating with this (or every) new bios, or only when there is a problem that needs to be fixed? *I hesitate only because I overclocked and it would take some work to redo my settings, since I'm an OC newbie. Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

Chino
Level 15
MAXIMUS IX HERO BIOS 0801
1.Improved PS2 devices/VGA card compatibility
2.Modified OA key function in legacy OS.
3.Improved System Performance.
4.Fixed overclocking profile naming issue.
5.Modified Thermal Control function.

A few improvements had been made to the Thermal Control Function so if you're using that feature in your overclock, you should update. Don't forget to save your overclock settings somewhere and clear your CMOS before flashing the BIOS.

Chino wrote:
A few improvements had been made to the Thermal Control Function so if you're using that feature in your overclock, you should update. Don't forget to save your overclock settings somewhere and clear your CMOS before flashing the BIOS.

Thanks Chino, I appreciate the advice and information. Follow up question: you suggested saving my OC settings --- will my saved OC profiles in the Bios remain there or are they wiped with the CMOS reset and update? If they are wiped can I save the file elsewhere and load it back into bios somehow? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Menthol
Level 14
Profiles get wiped during bios update and cannot be saved and transferred to new bios, you can save bios settings onto a USB drive and then enter them manually into the new bios after update keeping in mind that all the settings may not work as before and may need some fine tuning again

When you say clear CMOS, you mean soft clear in load BIOS defaults or hardware button clear CMOS?

mahanddeem wrote:
When you say clear CMOS, you mean soft clear in load BIOS defaults or hardware button clear CMOS?

Everything resets back to default. *Not just OC settings, everything as if the hardware clear*CMOS. *I had to re-establish my RAID array, just a heads up if you have that too.

Yeah I know everything is wiped
I ask you load BIOS defaults or press Clear CMOS button on back of motherboard?

Amenophis
Level 10
Will updating the BIOS in the G750JW do anything to the SSD I recently installed?

Amenophis wrote:
Will updating the BIOS in the G750JW do anything to the SSD I recently installed?

It shouldn't. 🙂