cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Hero VIII high temperature on load (No OC)

michmich
Level 7
Hello everyone,

My motherboard is getting too hot on load.
I'm not quite sure if this is because of the air flow in the case or just faulty motherboard.
I opened Rainbow Six Siege and minimized it, HWMonitor and Speccy running on background to monitor the temps and those are the results after around 5 minutes of play (training mode):

And this is the case airflow (there is another fan installed on the door which will be covered later).

The fan at the door installed as an intake.
in the picture it's on exhaust, ignore that please because I flipped the fan so it's now as intake and positioned infront of the GPU.

My PC specifications are:
Case: CM 690 II basic
CPU: Skylake i7 6700k 4.0 (not overcloked)
Motherboard: Asus Hero VIII, Bios version: 3201 (I had the same issue with 2202 bios version)
Ram: 32GB ram 2400
GPU: EVGA 970gtx 4gb FTW

Is this a flow issue? i need to add more fans? or is it a motherboard issue?
I will provide any info that is required, please guys it's very important for me.
HELP PLEASE.
20 REPLIES 20

Nate152
Hi michmich

At default settings your cpu is getting over volted. I see your vcore is hitting 1.40v, setting the vcore to 1.15v - 1.20v will greatly reduce temps.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi michmich

At default settings your cpu is getting over volted. I see your vcore is hitting 1.40v, setting the vcore to 1.15v - 1.20v will greatly reduce temps.

Hey Nate152,
1st of all, thank you very much for the help and for your time.
I'm not a PC Guru, so I assumed by lowering the Vcore voltage you meant the CPU voltage override?
If so, I changed the CPU core cache voltage from Auto to Manual and than, I set the CPU voltage override to 1.150.
I saved the changes and i had a blue screen and the PC was stuck, I turned the PC off and turn it on and changed the value to 1.200 and so far i have no BSOD.
I tried to play like 5-8 and this are the temperatures:
which has some improvments I think, but I think the temps are still quite high for the motherboard, right?
if that's still high, there are anything else I can try?

Nate152
Max temp for the 6600/6700k is 64c so you're good there with one of the cores at 62c but I agree your temps do seem a little high for that voltage and just playing a game.

Try cranking the pump and the fan to 100% if they're not already.

Make sure the water block has nice even pressure on all the mounting screws.

How much thermal paste did you use and how did you apply it ?

IMO, any temperatures below 85 C are safe. Intel CPUs begin to throttle only after they reach 100 C. Claims like the one that the max temp for 6700K is 64 C had me scratching my head so I looked around Internet and found many confirmations that temperatures well above this one are admissible, especially with overclock. For example, check the following thread: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3037268/6700k-highest-safe-temperature-gaming.html

Nate152 wrote:
Max temp for the 6600/6700k is 64c so you're good there with one of the cores at 62c but I agree your temps do seem a little high for that voltage and just playing a game.

Try cranking the pump and the fan to 100% if they're not already.

Make sure the water block has nice even pressure on all the mounting screws.

How much thermal paste did you use and how did you apply it ?

Thank you again.
1) by cranking the pump to 100%, you mean by setting the "CPU fan profile" (on bios)?
it was on standart, i changed it to turbo now as you can see in the photo.

2) I physically checked the water block mounting screws (as you suggested) and they all seems to be tighten, but I was wondering about how it looks like in the back of the motherboard, the backplate (I thought that might give us a better indication if the cooler is mounted properly).

This is what i saw: (sorry for the hebrew explanations, i asked in a different forum before and no one knew the answer and i cannot take the 'shot' again).
I tried to numbered the backplate outputs (I don't know if there is a name for it), on 1,2,3 there is slight space between the motherboard and the backplate, and in number 4, there is no space at all between the motherboard and the backplate.

The cooling screws suppose to be exposed at the back of the motherboard when mounting the cooling properly, so in screws 1, 2, 3, it doesn't seems to be exposes like in number 4.
could that cause the issues with high temps to the motherboard?

3) I'm not sure how to tell or count how much thermal paste I used, but I used a crapet that i got with the thermal paste so I spread it on the CPU, i read before a lot and i didn't used too much but with the crapet I covered the CPU.
this is the termal paste I used:
http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/thermal-compound/mastergel-maker/
The crapet is also mentioned and you can see in the pictures they provided below.

What should i do?
Is this a big issue to leave the bracket as is?
Is this the cause?
I'm very sorry for the photos quality and my English, it's not my native language.

@Shenny
thank you very much also for you time and desire to help.
I used to overclock before for almost a year now, but i saw that i have a high temps on load for both CPU and MOBO, so i set everything back to default and even on default im getting high temps, even when i tried to export a file with low bitrate and 1080P video (very low intensive for the cpu) and i still got for both 70-75 temperature.
I'm less concernec about getting a high temp for a CPU on load.
the motherboard is what concerned me more, it's not normal i think to get 75 temps on 5-15 minute medium load (and i was very generous to categorize the export settings on adobe as a medium load).

michmich wrote:
Thank you again.
1) by cranking the pump to 100%, you mean by setting the "CPU fan profile" (on bios)?
it was on standart, i changed it to turbo now as you can see in the photo.

2) I physically checked the water block mounting screws (as you suggested) and they all seems to be tighten, but I was wondering about how it looks like in the back of the motherboard, the backplate (I thought that might give us a better indication if the cooler is mounted properly).

This is what i saw: (sorry for the hebrew explanations, i asked in a different forum before and no one knew the answer and i cannot take the 'shot' again).
I tried to numbered the backplate outputs (I don't know if there is a name for it), on 1,2,3 there is slight space between the motherboard and the backplate, and in number 4, there is no space at all between the motherboard and the backplate.

The cooling screws suppose to be exposed at the back of the motherboard when mounting the cooling properly, so in screws 1, 2, 3, it doesn't seems to be exposes like in number 4.
could that cause the issues with high temps to the motherboard?

3) I'm not sure how to tell or count how much thermal paste I used, but I used a crapet that i got with the thermal paste so I spread it on the CPU, i read before a lot and i didn't used too much but with the crapet I covered the CPU.
this is the termal paste I used:
http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/thermal-compound/mastergel-maker/
The crapet is also mentioned and you can see in the pictures they provided below.

What should i do?
Is this a big issue to leave the bracket as is?
Is this the cause?
I'm very sorry for the photos quality and my English, it's not my native language.

@Shenny
thank you very much also for you time and desire to help.
I used to overclock before for almost a year now, but i saw that i have a high temps on load for both CPU and MOBO, so i set everything back to default and even on default im getting high temps, even when i tried to export a file with low bitrate and 1080P video (very low intensive for the cpu) and i still got for both 70-75 temperature.
I'm less concernec about getting a high temp for a CPU on load.
the motherboard is what concerned me more, it's not normal i think to get 75 temps on 5-15 minute medium load (and i was very generous to categorize the export settings on adobe as a medium load).

You have used the wrong standoffs. You should use the standoffs for Intel 115x and NOT socket 2011. And it looks like you have mixed them. That's why the nr 4 is different on the backplate. and the reason why your temps are high-.The Intel lga 115x standoffs are the one with the same length in both ends. The socket 2011 are the one with one end shorter. Always read the manual before making mistakes like this.

Nate152
Yeah redo the mounting bracket, it looks like it's not fitting quite right.

emsir wrote:
You have used the wrong standoffs. You should use the standoffs for Intel 115x and NOT socket 2011. And it looks like you have mixed them. That's why the nr 4 is different on the backplate. and the reason why your temps are high-.The Intel lga 115x standoffs are the one with the same length in both ends. The socket 2011 are the one with one end shorter. Always read the manual before making mistakes like this.

Thank you very much for taking your time to read my post and help.
I will try to remove everything in the next couple of days and im going to update.
Again, Thank you!

Nate152 wrote:
Yeah redo the mounting bracket, it looks like it's not fitting quite right.

Thank you Nate152, much appriciate your help and your time, i will redo the mounting bracket and will update in a few days.
Again, Thank you!

Nate152
Ok sounds good, if you have any questions or are not sure it's mounted right please ask.

Use holes 115x. (x= any number) on the mounting bracket.