cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM DIMM B1&B2 error code 0b

Rigg3d
Level 7
Hi all,

I don't know if it's a problem with motherboard or my build but would be nice to ask the community if they've seen or had similar problems.

I first tried to use all 4 of my RAM slots and kept getting error code 0b - I soon found that it seems to be a problem with DIMM slots B1 & B2 - if I try and boot with a stick in either then I get the error code.

I've tried:
BIOS versions 0702, 5704 and am now on 0902 .....on a side note - 5704 kicked up a bigger fuss and was more frequently coming with code 08.
Found a suggestion somewhere that I should loosen the CPU cooler because it could be too tight - I don't know if that's a thing - but I tried it anyway and it still hasn't worked.

I haven't tried:
Another RAM manufacturer (as I don't have any other DDR4 sticks lying around). However, obviously sticks that ran in A1 and A2 still didn't work in B1 or B2 - so I don't believe RAM is an issue.

An additional point that may be important - I can get to BIOS if I boot into safe mode - all 4 sticks are recognised when looking at the info but the system only shows 32GB out of 64GB. The crashing & error code 0b occurs a second or two after exiting the BIOS screen.

My build:
Motherboard: Crosshair vi Hero AM4 (X370).
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X.
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x16GB (64GB) @ 2666Mhz. CMD64GX4M4A2666C15.
Graphics Card: (NVidia) Zotac GTX 1080.
Storage: Samsung 960 Evo (1TB).
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master 240.
Case: InWin 805 Infinity.
Power Supply: Super Flower 1000w.

Thanks,
Rigg3d
15 REPLIES 15

Opt1mystyq
Level 7
Memmory support is still a bit iffy if your running 4 sticks you should lower the frequency and then work your way back up slowly.

Sorry - I forgot to mention I get this error with even trying to boot with 1 stick of RAM in B1 or B2.
Thanks for the suggestion though as I haven't tried it yet - I'll put a stick in A1 and B1 (suggested dual setup) and give it a try 🙂

Tried it... with no luck 😞

MNMadman
Level 8
I'd say you have a bad CPU, as that's where the memory controller is. My first Ryzen (1800X) was bad as well. Replaced it with a 1700 (less money for around the same overclock) and then found out my RAM kit had a bad stick too. Replaced that and upgraded to a better RAM kit with Samsung B memory chips, and it's sailing along at 3219 (100.6MHz BCLK at DDR4-3200 RAM setting) 14-14-14-14-34-2T at 1.351v on my Crosshair board with 0902 BIOS, and the CPU overclocked to 3823MHz.

I wanted to explore possibilities before having to return anything... but it looks like it's going that way.

Thanks for your help though, much appreciated 🙂

Rigg3d

elmor
Level 10
Can you try safe boot or with just 2 sticks setting 16-16-16-16-38 timings, DRAM Voltage = 1.35 and 2133 DRAM Ratio?

elmor wrote:
Can you try safe boot or with just 2 sticks setting 16-16-16-16-38 timings, DRAM Voltage = 1.35 and 2133 DRAM Ratio?

I tried 2 sticks in A1 and A2 as before and still worked fine (checked for stability). As soon as I move a stick into B2 I get the same problem as before.

Thanks for the suggestion

Rigg3d

Nate152
Could be a sign of a couple bent cpu socket pins, you could inspect the cpu socket with a magnifying glass to see all the pins are straight and in order.

Look close and carefully in good light.

Nate152 wrote:
Could be a sign of a couple bent cpu socket pins, you could inspect the cpu socket with a magnifying glass to see all the pins are straight and in order.

Look close and carefully in good light.

I'd cry if this was the case!
I'm always so careful when building PC's but it's always a possibility. I'll be giving this a try tomorrow evening when I've got a little more spare time 🙂

Cheers,

Rigg3d