cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RVE10 Instability? Random Shut Downs?

xthane
Level 7
I've been having an issue where my PC will completely shut down. What happens is I could be in a game and it will just completely shut off. Requires me to cycle the PSU switch/clear cmos over and over or just leave it unplugged for a while and I can eventually power it back on. If I try powering it back on right after a random shut down, it will power on for 1 second and power right off.

Temps are all relatively low when it happens. Under load, CPU 40-50C's and GPU 50-60C's. It first started happening during gaming and now it is more randomly when system isn't even under heavy load (watching a YouTube video it happened. Also happened about 1 minute after hitting the stop button on RealBench)
System can work fine for one day or a week and this issue will start happening again out of no where.

Reseated all PSU cables, reseated CPU, and reseated RAM.
Removed all usb devices except mouse and keyboard.
Removed sound card, case fans, and internal USB hubs.
Self test on Corsair AX860i power supply passes.

Shut down can most of the time be replicated when running memtest via usb flash drive around the 13-15min mark. Ouccurs with a single RAM dimm in one slot and also with 4 occupied. Happened over 6+ times doing this.

If a shut down doesn't happen during a memtest, then the next time the random shut down does happen, if I run memtest right after it will always shut down around the 13 minute mark until it randomly stops on shutting down on its own.

Specs are:
i7 6900k
Rampage V Edition 10
32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (Model: CMD16GX4M2B3000C15) - 1.35v 3000MHz 15-17-17-35
Corsair h100i
GTX 1080 STRIX
Corsair AX860i

I'm currently running default OC values to see if it happens even at stock. It was happening with at the same time as a light OC of 4.2GHz @ 1.275 adaptive voltage.

If anyone can throw out any ideas, I'd appreciated it. I'm leaning more towards the motherboard itself or the CPU being bad.
27 REPLIES 27

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The first place I would look when I hear this kind of thing is the PSU or the RAM.

The RAM kit you list is a 16GB kit...are you running two different kits to get 32GB?

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57038-Don%92t-combine-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-o...

Also, of course the first step in troubleshooting is to clear CMOS and run at F5 defaults...see if the RAM works at 2133...then OC ram...i.e. set XMP...don't OC CPU in any testing.

Not sure if self test is worth much for a PSU...if you have access to a different PSU I'd try it out....

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
The first place I would look when I hear this kind of thing is the PSU or the RAM.

The RAM kit you list is a 16GB kit...are you running two different kits to get 32GB?

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57038-Don%92t-combine-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-o...

Also, of course the first step in troubleshooting is to clear CMOS and run at F5 defaults...see if the RAM works at 2133...then OC ram...i.e. set XMP...don't OC CPU in any testing.

Not sure if self test is worth much for a PSU...if you have access to a different PSU I'd try it out....

Thank you for the response. The ram kit is indeed 2 kits of the 16GB. I tested 1 by 1 each module individually in memtest (whenever I'm not getting the random shut downs) and I never see any errors on any of the ram modules. Like I said whenever the shut down happens, when I manage to get it to power on, if I run memtest right after, I will get a shut down around 13-15min(even with just 1 RAM module in the motherboard) followed by it attempting to turn back on for a second and then powering off completely. Replicating this seems to point towards a RAM related issue, but the memtest will go fine before any random shut downs.

I unfortunately do not have another PSU on hand to test with.

Currently the CPU is default values. The only thing I have changed is the RAM timings, voltage, and speed are all at what they are rated for (3000MHz, 15, 17, 17, 35, 1T, 1.355v) I haven't gotten any shut downs yet, but they are random after all. I'm also suspecting if it could be the bios version. Currently on the latest 1502 and these shut downs happened well after updating to it. (Was on 1003 prior to 1502)

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Arne is alluding to the overclock being the issue with your memory.

You would need to test at complete default values with all the memory populated. This includes leaving the memory at stock (2133). At those speeds <3000>, it's likely the memory won't be stable when combining the kits. The rated timings and voltages get thrown out the window as soon as you double the density...

It's all here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57

Testing at stock is the first thing you want to be doing before running out and buying a new PSU.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
Arne is alluding to the overclock being the issue with your memory.

You would need to test at complete default values with all the memory populated. This includes leaving the memory at stock (2133). At those speeds <3000>, it's likely the memory won't be stable when combining the kits. The rated timings and voltages get thrown out the window as soon as you double the density...

It's all here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57

Testing at stock is the first thing you want to be doing before running out and buying a new PSU.

Stock timings and voltage as well, or should those be changed to what they're rated for?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
In BIOS set F5 defaults...then F10 save and exit

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
In BIOS set F5 defaults...then F10 save and exit

Alright, I'll give it a go and update.

Update, ran memtest 9 and a half hours and no errors with complete defaults. Will continue to use my system at defaults to see what happens.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
OK, though it has to be said Memtest is not much of a test on this platform.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?73665-Our-preferred-memory-stress-test

But in contrast to your other results it does seem stock is more stable and that would point to the two kits not being compatible for overclocking together.

3000MHz has proven difficult for many CPUs on this platform at the best of times...the added burden of combined kits might need a lot of tweaking to get stable if that is at all possible.

xthane
Level 7
Well, no luck. Ran RealBench and got a BSOD at 9 minutes.