cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RGB headers with splitter

madkazper
Level 7
Seeing as there are new fans coming out with Aura support. I was wondering if anyone has tried adding RGB splitter for lights or anything else and if so how did it work. I have 6 fans in my case with 2 rgb led strips and to hook all of this up i would need 2 4 y splitter and im not sure if this will cause problems with the motherboard headers.
14 REPLIES 14

qUAanA
Level 10
You have a Maximus code board
It comes with 2 rgb headers, why not take advantage of them?
Connect your led strips to them.
I wouldn't recommend getting any splitters.*

yea but what about the rgb fans coming out. if i want to run 2 strips plus the fans that would need 8 headers. So this is why i am asking about splitter and if anyone has tried using them.

madkazper wrote:
yea but what about the rgb fans coming out. if i want to run 2 strips plus the fans that would need 8 headers. So this is why i am asking about splitter and if anyone has tried using them.

Interesting.
The rgb fan connectors, what are they? 2-3-4 pin, molex etc?
I know the rgb leds are male/female connectors which are different.
And I'm guessing you want all rgb effects to be in sync.
Depends on manufacturer.
You mentioned new rgb fans coming? Which ones? Might have to read on that.
For example corsair has rgb fans with its own control box.*

Cooler master has there pro series coming out sometime this month with a 4 pin rgb header on it that will is AURA Certified. i wonder if maybe there is a RGB hub coming from ASUS anytime soon that would be controllable by AURA software.

qUAanA wrote:
Interesting.
The rgb fan connectors, what are they? 2-3-4 pin, molex etc?
I know the rgb leds are male/female connectors which are different.
And I'm guessing you want all rgb effects to be in sync.
Depends on manufacturer.
You mentioned new rgb fans coming? Which ones? Might have to read on that.
For example corsair has rgb fans with its own control box.*

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
I read about those fans. sadly 120mm. but I can wait. for the videos I check on cooler master they are nice. the other ones are the inwin. the box make the compatibility but still a lot of small news regarding those. I will check later today any ETA on those.*
Learn, Play Enjoy!

JustinThyme
Level 13
We always want what we do not have.
you can add them serially but cant split unless you want to cook your RGB controller on the MOBO. Length of strips is generally limited to 180mm but thats based on number of LEDs and not so much strips. Strips are easy enough to daisy chain serially, most Ive seen all come with the necessary adapter to do so. Im using two of the 60mm Alchemy strips on one header.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Looking at the fans there are only 4 leds per fan with 8 fans thats 24 leds total for my rig. The strips i got are from Deep cool, but not sure how many leds are for each one. sounds like we do need a hub of some sorts to hook all this stuff up they are coming out with. Like the Aura controlled SSD. The fans and led strips.

JustinThyme wrote:
We always want what we do not have.
you can add them serially but cant split unless you want to cook your RGB controller on the MOBO. Length of strips is generally limited to 180mm but thats based on number of LEDs and not so much strips. Strips are easy enough to daisy chain serially, most Ive seen all come with the necessary adapter to do so. Im using two of the 60mm Alchemy strips on one header.

I don't agree with your comment that you will cook your RGB CONTROLLER using a RGB Y splitter there are many new waterblocks and RGB led strips that use y splitters (Darkside). You can you a standard Y splitter made for Rgb anything as long as you don't surpass the maximum amps for the motherboard header! Which depending on your motherboard it's 1 or 2 amps. The motherboard is see just one connection of 12volt green red and blue as the splitter is just that a splitter takes 2 connections of 4 wires each to one connection of the 8 total wires to the 4 rgb wires so like I said the motherboard is only seeing one load. This would be the same if you used a 3 way or 4 way splitter. Look at the PWM splitters you can have as many as you want as long as you don't exceed the maximum amps. With the PWM splitters you can only control one fans rpm but the rest follow that rpm. As for led strip length you can have up to a 2 meter strip on RGB header as long as it doesn't exceed the max amps not 180mm which is only 7 inches! * * * *Later....Bitman **

so looking at the spec of the fans from cooler master each fan only draws .07 amps and the motherboard says 2amps total. so adding 6 fans will not hurt the controller at all.